“First landing beach resort & villa”

First Landing Beach Resort & Villas
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Lautoka
Reviewed 14 March 2014

we stayed for for 4 nights, 5 days over Australia day weekend this year, and had the best time.
the place and people were lovely as always. We completed the cooking experience with the chef which involved going with him to the Lautoka market, buying all ingredients, then back to the resort, preparing and cooking and then finally eating our culinary delights! It was sensational, weather perfect and a must needed relax in a sensational place

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jeanette H

Reviewed 11 March 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a week and had a wonderful time! JJ and Si were outstanding! First Landing is a great place to stay to get a real feel for traditional Fiji. We stayed on the resort for the entire stay except one day trip to a neighboring island. JJ and Si took their time each and everyday to talk to us about the history and traditions of Fiji and the Fijian people. We were taught and performed a ceremonial dance with other travelers and the staff. Our room was basic and the air conditioner worked well. The food was great in the restaurant for dinner & the breakfast was ok. I would avoid the spa. There's a great little marina on the far side of the resort where there's a small store where you can buy snacks & beer. The restaurant on the marina had a cute tiki bar with great drinks. I would avoid the First Landing bar while Joe is working. Other than him the staff at First Landing was great, friendly , & accommodating! Be sure to watch the sunset& sunrise from barefoot island, it's incredibly beautiful! !

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank frombostonwithlove
Reviewed 26 February 2014

When researching our trip tp Fiji, my boyfriend and I decided to bypass the canned experience resorts of Denarau (why bother leaving Australia? There are plenty of Westins and Radissons here) and opted for First Landing instead. We're so happy that we did! I will admit that I was a bit concerned after reading some of the negative reviews on Tripadvisor, but I also know that people only write reviews if they're VERY annoyed, very happy or very diligent about contributing to the travel community. Take the bad with a grain of salt and manage your expectations. It never would have occurred to me to be put off by flip flops at dinner or sand flies at the beach - it's Fiji! The garden bure we stayed in wasn't five star quality, but this wasn't a five star hotel. We didn't go to Fiji to spend all day in our room anyhow. We found the resort, including our room, to be clean and comfortable. Some of the outdated styling simply added to the charm of travelling outside of a first world nation.

Anyhow, the service was out of this world. Many of the staff members learned our names and used them during our five night stay. We requested to try kava one night, which led to us sitting around drinking it with Wise as various staff members wandered over (and were mostly forced!) to join in. They all seemed to genuinely want to chat with us, and happily answered our questions about life as a Fijian.

The food was great as well. Our favourites were the chicken Nalamu and the whole coral trout - we liked them so much that we had them twice over the course of our five day stay. Breakfast offered more than I expected, based on the reviews. Every day there were either donuts or pastries, two kinds of bread with jams/marmalade/peanut butter/butter, a selection of muffins and cakes, probably six or seven kinds of fruit, fruit salad, plain and strawberry yogurt, smoothies, six to ten varieties of cereal, four juice options, and coffee and tea. A few birds hung about but I didn't see them eating off plates as others have mentioned - it just wasn't an issue. Staff also brought us an ala carte menu each morning, but we didn't feel the need to supplement what was on offer. On our second last day we wandered over to the marina next door for lunch and that was great for a change of scenery - we enjoyed the tire swing and the outdoor picnic tables. I also had a coffee in the cafe there one morning and it was huge and very well priced. As a heads up, you can also buy secondhand books at the marina for $4, or $1 if you're exchanging another one.

We went snorkelling off the beach several times and thought it was quite good. The first few times we 'swam' out during morning high tide (more of a float really as the water is only a foot or so deep at first), and the last time we borrowed a kayak as we were heading to the airport later and didn't have a lot of time to waste. We also took the Oolala tour, which leaves at 10:30 from the resort jetty, and enjoyed ourselves immensely. In addition to that, we took a local bus into Lautoka one day to buy school supplies/sporting equipment/books and then visited a primary school another day to donate our purchases, which was arranged by the resort.

Overall it was a fantastic trip and we wouldn't hesitate to recommend First Landing to anyone looking for a more authentic Fijian experience and not simply an immaculate place to lounge around a pool. Shout out to Jope, Wise, 'Steven Seagull' and Navuga for making our stay that much more awesome!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank misschandler
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We spent nine days at First Landing. It was a wonderful experience. The customer service was great - they were willing to bend over backwards for us. The food is fabulous. We heard a lot of people complain about the food at other resorts - they wished they had stayed at First Landing because the food was so good. The house keepers leave messages in flowers on your bed; the room was kept clean and neat. There is always something to do if you wish, or you can be left alone to rest. Plan to bring your own books to read. They have kayaks and snorkel gear free of charge. The sunscreen at the resort was expensive, but the kind we brought from home didn't work. Make sure you buy sunscreen for an intense sun. For the money, I think we stayed at the best resort on the mainland.

Room Tip: We stayed in a beachfront room. It was delightful to see the sunset in the evening and watch the tid...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alaska2World
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We visited here for just one night on our way around the Island. The staff were friendly and helpful. The reception were prompt and we checked in with no problems. They even gave myself and friend a free foot massage for my birthday. We ate at the restaurant and the food was yummy they even had all the staff sing Happy Birthday to me in Fijian which was pretty cool. The dining area was outside on a sandy area with awesome views as the sunsets.The accommodation was roomy and we loved the closed in verandah which meant we could sit outside after dark with out being annoyed by the cane toads and the mossies. It was lovey to have a spa bath however when we turned the spa jets on a heap of brown muck shot out at me, they need to regulary run the spas to ensure no mold builds up in the jets. We did also find a few hairs in the bath which was a little gross. Would I stay here again yes I would. Would I recommend it to others yes I would. I found the drinks here were cheaper than the resort I was staying at on the coral coast. Thanks again to the First landing for making my birthday an enjoyable night.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank serenaH
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Travelled from a Denarau resort to First Landing, which is located next to Vuda (pronounced vunda) marina.

Taxi costs are expensive for Fiji from Denarau, which I knew then and confirmed even further by now travelling around quite a bit of Viti Levu.

Managed to get a price of 40 FJD (although quoted 30 FJD from Nadi earlier in the day...). There is no way that I could easily determine to use a bus from Nadi, which is just a few FJD pp, as the junction from Queens Rd to Vuda Marina is 5 km and it might be a bit unsafe to try and hail a cab from the junction for that purpose, although, if you had a cellphone, you could organise a pickup from First Landing from the junction at he turnoff as the bus arrived.

The accommodation itself (garden bure) is very nice and the room very pleasant to stay in. The grounds and pool are nicely maintained. The only issue for us was one day the pathway around the entire area was cleaned with a water compressor which was pretty loud and went all day long - might be an idea to warn guests about this so day trips can be taken etc in preference to staying at the resort for that day. I imagine that's a pretty rare occurrence given the nature of the task.

The staff were universally friendly, with excellent service, always happy for a chat and to assist with anything, even to play table tennis with. Fijian standards of hospitality are very high. I personally have no issues with Fiji time. Its a very laid back country and that works well in a resort to my tastes. One other reviewer here expressed some unhappiness about the reception staff, however my experience was that they were great, including a very attractive young lady.

The room is essentially as the pictures look on tripadvisor, although keep in mind they are taken with professional photography. There are little touches like "bula spelled out in a floral arrangement on your immaculately turned bed) There is a phone to call reception or arrange a call elsewhere. The AC works fine. Security, safety and privacy are great.

Internet prices were very steep. Fortunately we used our backup option, which is what I recommend if you are spending a few weeks or more in Fiji, which is to buy a 3G USB modem stick from Vodaphone Nadi (29.95 FJD, preloaded with 1GB data download limit and cheap to top up, bring your passport and ID with your address). This ran very well at First Landing. This is not an option for downloading big files like youtube clips or streaming conferences for which you will probably want resort broadband.

Laundry was also very dear, even a silly price. It is the first and only time I have used resort facilities to wash clothes in Fiji unless a free machine is provided for guest use. Washing clothes with cold power from a shop (FJD 1.95 a bag which goes quite a long way) in the sink and drying them yourself is dirt cheap and effective. This obviously won't be much fun for parents of a family with kids, but is very simple as a couple or a single.

Kayaks and snorkelling gear are free and there is quite good snorkelling on a reef a small kayak paddle off the "left foot".

The dining experience is a highlight here. I think someone complained that people were wearing flipflops or going barefoot, but really, this is catering right on the water on sand and a super casual environment. It is really quite something to dine virtually on the beach in the sunset, softly serenaded by the major harmonies of the local guys and their guitar(s).

The chef's food is streets ahead for this level of accommodation in Fiji we've had yet. Chris really is exceptional and confirming another reviewer, the kokoda (pronounced kokonda) is the best tasted and presented we've had. You could easily have it all over again. His intelligence with ingredients shines through and food was very inviting and visually attractive .

House wine was surprisingly cheap here for Fiji (if I remember this rightly) - about 4.5 FJD a glass. Beer prices not so cheap, but quite average for a four star place like this. The inverse of this price relationship was evident at Vuda Marina restaurant, accessible through the fence via a walk around the marina.

There are a range of different nights to vary the entertainment - eg meke (which was lots of fun, but had a dreadlocked ?African leading the dance when we were there), kava night, lovo night.

Activities can be organised. Lautoka is a 15 FJD taxi ride (10 aud) from the marina but Lautoka is pretty nondescript and I was warned to not stray from the main streets to minimise risk of robbery (the social security here is just 120 FJD [72 AUD] per month, of which 60 is food vouchers, so it is easy to see why robbery is tempting). There is a sugar mill there to visit but tours only operate at certain times. I think there is also a rum distillery.

There is a large orchid garden a fairly short drive away too.

This place would probably be best articulated with day visits to islands in proximity or as a staging point to Waya Island if you plan to stay at Octopus as their boat travels to/from Vuda Marina.

First Landing is reasonable value compared to what is generally available in Fiji and deserves its praise in the reviews. It is consistently good and close enough to Nadi to make it a no brainer as the go-to 4 star resort on the way from arriving at the airport or as the last stop before departure. The airport transfer is going to be cheaper than coming from Nadi town. I don't know how much, but my guess is about 20 or so if arranged through First Landing or maybe 25 using an airport taxi.

The weather in Fiji this time of year is generally hot and humid with occasional rain, so far about once a week or so and usually not that long. Mostly blue skies.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Crusty P
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We checked in at First Landing Resort expecting it as beautiful as it was on their home page but were completely shocked…We got a taxi from Denarau where we spent a week there with top class lodging and service, dropped off at a parking place at First Landing, where a very pleasant guy fetched us up and guided us thru a long passage to a tiny office where a snobbish guy checked us in - First disappointment.
Got checked in to our room, our room was infested with tiny brown ants, ants everywhere and our daughters bed sheets were dirty, (blood stains) so we had to call the maid to come and change the sheets and spray our room. – Second disappointment.
As regards food, I had difficulty in explaining about my gluten free and dairy free meals. I had a card printed in English to explain my allergies, plus I told the waitress about 4-5 times, so I cannot understand the problem as to why it was so difficult to fix gluten free and dairy free meal
Third disappointment.
A course in food allergies for the staff is recommended.
We felt like we were at a backpacker’s motel…..dinner guests with flip flops or bare feet!! As regards breakfast, you get some bread, marmalade, tea or coffee and some fruit. Eggs – you pay extra for that! The birds flying in and out, you get it free!! ..
Fourth disappointment
Met a very pleasant waitress who tried to help me with my food allergies.....pity I didn't I get her name....
No, I definitely do not recommend this hotel to anyone, well of course if you’re not looking for quality living…
p.s. As to the giant foot covered with sand on their homepage……no, there is no sand, just high GRASS – Fifth disappointment

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank swe40
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lautoka
Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji
Sheraton Fiji Resort
Sheraton Fiji Resort
#7 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to First Landing Beach Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!