“Abandoned in a village during medical emergency”

Anchorage Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Lautoka
Grimsby, ON
“Abandoned in a village during medical emergency”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

We booked a 13 day trip to Anchorage during Christmas and New Year. My younger son got a terrible infection on both ears , runs high fever and we were seeking immediate medical assistance. After 1 hr of waiting and repetitive calls to the reception, they sent us a taxi to take us to the closest medical facility in the local village. There is no doctor available at this clinic and we're told to go to Latoka hospital. The hotel taxi ( The actual hotel transportation, not a separate hire) abandons us in the village to find our way to the hospital. They ask us to wait for another taxi( another 1/2 hour in the middle of the road waiting). My son is barely sitting on his feet so we ask locals to help us get to the hospital. At the hospital we were told that there is private medical care available so we hop on yet another taxi and make it to a clinic to see a doctor. On the way back we talk to the "owners representative" Aaron -----. We ask him how it is possible to abondon his guests when dealing with a medical emergency. Not only that he is not apologizing for this but he is very rude and accuses us that we were not clear what type of medical emergency it was! When we mentioned that is his responsibility to provide its guests with proper information and access to medical services in cases of emergency he was quite apathetic and rude. Considering that the hotels mission is to provide best customer service , I advise my fellow travellers to think twice before booking with this hotel. Aside from this incident, we found the facility expensive for the type of services provided. The food at the resort is below standards, therefore most of the guests go to the nearby Marina and First Landing restaurant. The location is very remote and you need to pay for a lot of taxi fares to get around.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Carmen D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Lautoka, Fiji
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

We checked in on 26th December and till that moment we all were having a blast. Awesome customer service. Villas are well maintained with new 32' Flat Screen TV. The pool I think is cleaned every morning. A wide variety of delicious food available for full 3 course meals. Has a billiard table as well. Daily transfers to beachcomber island and port denarau. Free use of kayaks. NOT an ideal place for backpackers. Has a boutique with various types of souvenirs. A perfect place for relaxation.

Some of things that I didnt find well were
1. The room which I was in, Room 205, had no reception inside the room so I couldn't use my cellular device inside the room. I had to go outside to the balcony to receive signals. This was kinda disappointing for me personally as I need my phone working at all times. But with great service this guys have to offer, you dont need to use your cell phone so not a big issue.

2. Local beer I think was too overpriced. Might as well drink some Heineken with the same price but if your the money man than FIJI BITTER and FIJI GOLD is a must try when you're in Fiji. This is not a big issue as well.

Tip.
Evening activities are quite fun. Ask the staff when is the JOJO show. Also for any issues it's best to see the hotel manager Sam. Very nice guy.

I would give it a 5/5 but number 1 came in the way of that.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank zeefiji
Resort M, Manager at Anchorage Beach Resort, responded to this review, 26 January 2014
Bula Zeefiji,
Thanks for your great review.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

We stayed at Anchorage in June 2013. The resort felt a little run down, my partner is a plumber and kept noticing things that needed to be touched up or refurbished as it had a very tired feel. For example the wooden stairs leading down a steep hill below our room were rotten and failing apart, this did not make me feel safe when climbing them in the rain. Our room was very basic and it never really felt clean. We knew the cleaners had been but even then it still didn't feel like it'd been cleaned properly. It felt a little bit like a backpackers as the furnishing was very sparse.
The first morning it was overcast and not overly warm, i wanted a nice warm shower when i got up, but all the water is heated by sloar power and the last couple of days had apparently been raining and overcast - so i had a very "refreshing" shower which was rather on the cold side. Not a nice start to my first morning.
The thing that was a terrible let down for me was the food. You expect to come to an island such as Fiji and be able to eat fish. Our first dinner we sat for about 20mins deciding what to eat, we then all ordered fish and were told that fish wasn't available (nice of them to tell us this before we ordered). Not only was there no fish available that night, there was no fish available for the next 3 nights of our stay! The food in general was not to a high standard and quite frankly i could have whipped up something better in my own kitchen (and i'm no Gordon Ramsey). We ordered the satay chicken skewers and it came with no satay sauce!! I remember having a chicken dish that was so dry and overcooked that i couldnt' eat it. In the end on other guests recommendations we decided to only eat at the Marina which is a short taxi ride away.
It wasn't all bad though - on the plus side we found the staff to be friendly, we liked the pool and also the little shack by the beach for massages. That was the best massage i'd ever had listening to the sound of the waves breaking on the shore.
There wasn't much of a beach but the day trip we were offered to beachcomber more than made up for it. We really enojoyed it.
It's not a terrible place to stay as on a whole we didn't hate the place, it's just the food and run down feel of the place really let it down. If those were improved i'd go back.

Room Tip: Don't choose the upper garden rooms - they are far away from the pool and dining area and it'...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Natalie S
Bula Natalie,
Thank you for your review. Whilst it has bee six months since you stayed with us, it is always good to receive guest feedback. Based upon guest feedback in the first half of 2013, we did take steps to ensure that there was a wider selection of seafood on the menu and whilst there are occasional supply issues due to weather we do now have lobster, crab, whole fish and other seafood available for guests.
Thank you for the praise that you have shown towards the staff and that you enjoyed the swimming pool, massage and Beachcomber day trip.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

My friend and I wanted a much deserved break. We heard from a group of work colleagues about the Anchorage Beach Resort at Vuda Point Fiji , that it is a great place to stay . We were extremely happy we had an absolutely fantastic time. We were greeted at the airport where there was a shop front office. We were transferred to the resort. The resort style was boutique , the weather balmy, staff friendly and accommodating . The pace was Fijian ...relaxed , slow and steady with a cool ,groovy vibe. The resort was very reasonably priced,and great value . The location spot on . Close to Lautoka , Nadi and Denauru for shopping. The Anchorage provided complimentary bus trips to Nadi and Lautoka daily , which we frequently used. We visited the local village went shopping local style ,the movies ,it was like going back in time. We kayaked, swam , had cocktails in the pool(bar) just absolutely relaxed and embraced Fiji,we loved it . The restaurant had a great ambiance on the water. Entertainment, every night something different, eg fire dancers, polynesian / fijian dancing show , crab racing serenaders and a live resident band that got everyone moving and groovying and in the party mood . Towards the end of the night it was a slow groove. We went to Denauru shopping and did a day trip to the Beachcomber Island ,which was paradise . We loved our stay at the Anchorage . Next time we will stay for longer and definately book a couple of nights extra at the Beachcomber Island a place for family by day and friends partying hard by night. Overall we had an absolutely Fantasic Holiday . We had a little bit of everything and we chose what we wanted to do and when . The staff were friendly and helpful . Anyone who doesn't have a great time needs to look at themselves ... its Fiji .... embrace the people , lifestyle, culture and history ... Relax ..let your hair down and enjoy . I know where I'm definitely going back to,Fiji ... Paradise . Thank you Anchorage Resort and staff , we had an absolutely fantastic holiday... it was everything ... relaxed , fun, party, made friends, adventure my perfect holiday.

• Stayed December 2013
4 Thank kathryn255060
Bula Kathryn,
Thank you for your detailed review on everything at the Anchorage. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay.
Whangarei, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

I had a great accommodation package with the Anchorage Beach Resort with lots of extras included. I like the location and the staff were very helpful and friendly. Yes a train went through the resort but I was there at the end of the sugar cane season. But this is quite clear on their website. I had an ocean view room, it was basic, clean and tidy. Diwali festival was on so it was a nice touch to watch the fireworks and the staff entertainment. My meals at the restaurant were delicious. The free wifi in the restaurant was an unexpected surprise. The pool was clean and awesome to swim in. This is a very laid back and friendly resort. Very very relaxing.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Kiwishells
Bula Kiwishells
Thank you for a great review and we are very pleased to receive such positive feedback from a Senior Reviewer.
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

We booked 5 nights at Anchorage from 15- 20 November and loved our stay. There was a mix up with our booking and as the resort was fully booked we had to spend one night at a partner resort in Lautoka. Anchorage staff more than made up for any inconvenience by providing us with along a free three course dinner, not one but two room upgrades and of course free transport to and from the other resort. We were upgraded to a gorgeous beachside villa with its own spa on the front deck. The villa was impeccably clean and tidy and the small touches of fresh frangipani flowers placed in our room each day and the complimentary bottle of bubbly we're much appreciated. The pool was gorgeous and clean and we spent many pleasant hours lying on sun loungers sipping heavenly piña coladas looking out over the Nadia Bay. The highlight for us though was the incredibly warm, funny and accommodating staff who made our trip truly special. We were particularly touched when on hearing it was our last night Sam, the manager, and Sai the barman, prepared an impromptu singalong and kava ceremony for us with some other staff. Another highlight was having a trip to a nearby village organised for us, complete with escort from staff member and villager Lula. I would say, in response to some of the more critical reviews on this site, that this is not a five star resort, so if that's what you want, go to Denarau. Anchorage is a beautiful, but not overly manicured, friendly, laid back resort. We loved the time we spent here and will definitely be back, not least to visit the wonderful staff who made our stay.

Thanks so much Sam, Sai, Buna, Lu, Clive and the rest of your team.

All the best for the rest of the year

Charlotte and Peter from NZ

Room Tip: Beachside villa very tidy and full of character
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Charlotte C
Bula Charlotte and Peter,
Thank you for taking time to post your wonderful review. The feedback that you have given on the rooms is positive and the warm appreciation you have shown to our staff is wonderful.
Thank you for staying at the Anchorage and we look forward to seeing you again.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

Upon arriving to Fiji we had taken a taxi to the Anchorage beach resort. While checking in we "upgraded" to an ocean view room. We also got a coupon for a
Complimentary welcome drink. Impressed to begin with and didn't do a whole lot of exploring our first night as the sun was already down. You do get a complimentary breakfast with this resort which is very simple, either some fruit, some toast or some cereal. However anything else for breakfast is an extra charge. Also on more than one occasion we witnessed little cockraches skurrying across the table where the food was layed out. Hot, humid climates, they are expected to be around, however not on the table. Was unimpressed. In the week that we stayed we were lucky to be noticed within 20-30 minutes of sitting down at the restaurant, and almost every time we ordered something wasn't right. A burger requested without egg came out with egg, drinks requested never came, and portion sizes were very small, especially for the price of the food. As for maid services, the maid did come every day, however the only thing that seemed to be done was our bed being made. Sheets were not changed once in our stay and our room always felt gritty. Along with linens getting dirty as our feet were always dirty from our I cleaned floor. Our room also had, what looks like little ants all over the walls, in the sink, on our bed and bedside tables. Again not impressed. But even looking at the resort grounds you could tell not a whole lot was well kept. The pictures of the resort online are Nothing near what the resort actually looks like. The "beach" disappears by the afternoon while the tide comes in and they do not even have an access point for you to get down to the beach, you make it down yourself. The staff never seems to smile, always seems to be grumpy, and are way more concerned about having conversations among themselves rather than helping you, or even noticing your existence. Pool is very dirty, even leaves shooting out of the filters and the resort does not have more than one restaurant. It has one restaurant. And one pool side bar. Also on such an occasion as lets say the internet going down, after hours of the staff lying to you and telling you it is getting fixed, they finally tell you in the late afternoon that since it's Sunday nothing is able to get done and rudely tell you that it might be fixed the next day.
I do not wish this kind of stay upon anyone. I have heard such amazing things about Fiji, and this being my first vacation here I am leaving with a very sad heart to feel this disappointed. I am not high maintenance, I often take vacations trying out different resorts, but this is by far the worst experience I have. If you are reading this and considering a stay at the Anchorage, I have heard any place around here is much more worth your time and money. Especially since there are no activities here unless you want to spend a ton of extra money going on their tours to other islands since they do not provide anything here on their own.

Thanks for reading.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank HNMatwie
Resort M, Manager at Anchorage Beach Resort, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Bula,
Thank you for posting your first ever and subjective review on Trip Advisor. Whilst it appears that the Anchorage may not have met your specific needs, the majority of our feedback is overwhelmingly positive.
Vinaka
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lautoka
Bounty Island Resort
The Fiji Orchid
#2 of 7 in Lautoka
First Landing Beach Resort & Villas
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island

Been to Anchorage Beach Resort? Share your experiences!