I stayed here for 2 nights prior to a Paul Gauguin cruise that left from the port at Lautoka. I got a great price (i.e. FJD 182.70 total for 2 nights including all taxes) for an "executive suite" from an online hotel booking site. Now that rate didn't include their continental breakfast; however, there were other booking options that did. According to my booking site their breakfast costs FJD 20 per person per night. This seem pretty high for a breakfast: however, I didn't verify the price with the hotel. The suite was huge, had a walk in closet/storage room, large bathroom, and a good size balcony. The room had a refrigerator, wet bar, and safe too. The staff was very friendly. The hotel is on the coast (hence the name "waterfront"); however there isn't any beach and the ocean water in and around Laukota is fairly dirty. I think the hotel gets more business travelers than vacationers. The room was clean and everything worked. I really liked the bed; but I like a firm mattress. It was just a pad on a board (i.e. no box springs). I was on the 2nd floor and the hotel does not have an elevator; however, they carry your bags to the room. I gave the "bell hop" guy a couple dollars tip: however, (you should note that) tipping is not a custom nor is it expected in Fiji. The hotel is located right on the edge of the main part of town with lots of shops and restaurants close by. In fact I even walked from the hotel to the port with rolling luggage. It was about a 10 -15 minute walk. Basically there is a paved sidewalk the entire way, but you do have to cross a couple streets and negotiate a couple curbs. However, taxis are real plentiful and very reasonably priced in Fiji, just make sure the driver starts his meter at the beginning of the trip. A common taxi rip off there is not using the meter and charging you their rate after you get to your destination. Check in is at 2 PM and I arrived at 8 AM, and they offered me an early check in for an additional FJD 40, I took it. Note: 1 Fijian Dollar equals 0.54 US Dollar.
1) not a lot of loungers around the pool
2) the pool water was a little cloudy
3) WiFi was not free
4) they charge a 3% "convenience fee" if you use a credit card. That's for their convenience not the guest's.
5) upon check in they had me double booked.They initially claimed that my online booking company did it and the online booking company would have to cancel the other reservation to avoid an extra charge. When I asked for the other reservation number they didn't have one. The desk clerk disappeared into their office and when she returned she indicated that it was their error. They promptly cancelled the 2nd booking. I do think this was just an honest (i.e. careless data input into their reservation system) mistake on their part.
6) Just sayin': It looks to me like you can get a great initial price for the room and then they want to "nickel and dime" you with a lot of extras (i.e. credit card "convenience fee", early check in charge, expensive breakfast, pricey Wifi, etc.)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Superb waterfront location with sensational sunsets…Welcome to the Tanoa Waterfront Hotel, Lautoka, Fiji - the preferred Fiji hotel accommodation for the business traveller, conference delegate and holiday maker. This is an excellent stopover point for connections to and from the Mamanuca and Yasawa islands. Lautoka is the second largest city of Fiji and is the second port of entry in Fiji, after Suva. Lying in the heart of Fiji’s sugar cane growing regions, it is known as the Sugar City. It houses the Lautoka Sugar Mill which is the city’s biggest employer by far. From its superb Lautoka waterfront location you can witness sensational sunsets whilst enjoying a refreshing drink or an early dinner in Fins Restaurant. At the Fins Restaurant,we offer a wide range of both local and international fare between 6.30am and 11.30pm. We have 92 well-appointed guest accommodation rooms, each with individually controlled air conditioning for your comfort, and equipped with all guest amenities to suit both the busy executive and discerning leisure traveler. The rooms open out on to their own balcony or self contained patio which engenders the feeling of a cool relaxing space – ideal on ‘sticky’ tropical days. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Tanoa Waterfront Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tanoa Waterfront Hotel Fiji/Lautoka