“Excellent Fishing”

Volivoli Beach Resort Fiji
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Rakiraki
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Spent 4 days in Fiji during first week of March and 2 full days fishing. The weather was phenomenal (though hot out on the water), the staff were super friendly, and the fishing was fantastic. Nick knows the local water and knows how to fish your target fish, which for us was yellowfin and GT. We trolled out to fishing grounds and then cast-popped the rest of the day. The fishing gear was great but I would recommend bringing your own gear if you want to do anything besides troll; that way you're used to the equipment and get down to fishing quicker. I was quite pleased with my experience and hope to visit again soon. Volivoli is out of the way, which is great for fishing opportunities, but be prepared to eat most of your meals there unless you are up for some drives. Food is good so that was fine by me; if you're a fish eater, ask for the Kokonda.

Room Tip: Talk with the owners ahead of time to get an idea of what the rooms are like so you know what you ar...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
FijiDiver_9, Owner at Volivoli Beach Resort Fiji, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Bula Vinaka,

Thank you very much for your review of Volivoli Beach Resort, Your feedback is very much appreciated.

I am happy that you enjoyed your time with us, It is always a blast for me when I have anglers at the resort.

I sincerely hope we can fish together again soon.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

This was my first time visiting Volivoli Beach Resort. I had seen pictures of the resort before but found it hard to believe the resort could be that nice. Boy was I wrong, the resort was that nice and more. The resort is immaculate, the views are breath taking. The rooms are "eat off the floor" clean. I did my best to try all the different food choices. I did not have a bad meal. Everything is cooked to order, no buffet here (thankfully). My interaction with the owners the Darling family could not be better. Nick and Steve went out of their way to make sure I was taken care of. They understand customer service and do their best to achieve the highest rating there could be. Finally their dive operation is the best around. They know the sites and make sure every diver is safely back on board the boat.

Needless to say I will be back!

Room Tip: I toured the resort and had the chance to see the different room styles. I stayed in the Villas and...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Proby50
FijiDiver_9, Owner at Volivoli Beach Resort Fiji, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Bula Vinaka,

Than you for your review of Volivoli Beach Resort, Your feedback is very much appreciated.

Volivoli has a lot to offer people and is getting better and better and your detailed report helps spread the word.

We look forward to your return, Until then take care

Regards

Reviewed 10 March 2014

The resort is beautiful and the staff is the best. I stayed there for 2 weeks and loved every minute of it. Everyone who worked there was very friendly and within an hour of our arrival they all knew the name of everybody in our 12 person group. I still don't know how they did it. The staff was very attentive and would rush to help us. The owners were on hand to help too. They are out and about the resort and very friendly, so its easy to get to know them and tell them about any concerns you may have. I had a good time hanging out with them at night and getting to know them and finding out about Fiji.

The diving was incredible. I live and dive in Florida and I have been taking 1 or 2 dive vacations a year for 20 years. Diving at VoliVoli was hands done the best diving I have ever done. The boats are big and spacious and the crew gives the same level of service as the hotel staff. One of our divers had to cut a dive short and missed a beautiful dive. On the next dive, the crew sent an extra dive master down to personally escort her to see all the things she missed. She was very happy. That level of service isn't expected and wasn't asked for but they saw she was disappointed and took care of her like it was no big deal. They turned it into one of the best dives she had. Compare this to Florida or Mexico where nobody cares what happens to you.

If you have time, take one of Sonni's tours to the local village or to Rakiraki. Sonni is well respected by all of the locals and knows all the best places to take you. The local people are very friendly and happy. It made me want to move there.

Volivoli was the best, if I wasn't afraid of losing my man card I probably would have cried in front of everybody when I had to leave.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Arrick C

Bula Vinaka,

Thank you very much for your kind review of Volivoli Beach Resort and Ra Divers.

I say it time and time again it is the local people that make Fiji as special as it is, that is the same at Volivoli, We could not do it without our family (staff)

You have highlighted what Volivoli and Ra Divers have to offer very well so once again thank you.

I hope that you are able to return soon.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Have to say it an amazing and beautiful place, service was lacking at the front desk. On arrival with the family and in the heat there wasn't any porter, one of the Fan in the villa wasn't working - advised the staff on the 1st but nothing was done. AC unit not sufficient for the villa. No information in the rooms especial about the salt water in the taps. May just be us but we had just come from the Sofitel in Denarau.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank RonStar81
FijiDiver_9, Owner at Volivoli Beach Resort Fiji, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Bula Vinaka,

Thank you very much for your review of Volivoli Beach Resort. Your feedback is much appreciated.

It sounds like the ball was dropped in this case as our normal policy is to offer a porter service.

We also have a full time maintenance team to deal with any small issues like your fan not working promptly.

I would very much like to follow up on the points you have raised, if you could please email me with more details on nick@volivoli.com it would be very much appreciated.

KInd regards

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Volivoli resort presented itself well. The gardens were immaculate, the views were fantastic, however there were some things which could be changed.

Firstly, upon arriving we asked Nick about organising a fishing charter as we had read good things before our trip. The next day Nick spoke to us and said he'd get back to us ( a common theme with the staff ), which he never did. We ended up arranging this ourselves and once on the charter we were told we would be going trawling. Upon not catching anything and driving aimlessly for about 3 hours with Bob, he then suggested we throw some lines out. He then pointed out there was only 1 line for the 4 of us on the charter to share. Considering we were charged 1000FJD for 4 hours out on the boat, we would have expected a line each. Very poor.

Also, the food was disappointing. The best thing we ate was hot chips. There is no where else to go for food if you stay at Voli Voli, so something to be very aware of. Cocktails were 25FJD each, and 'happy hour', saw the price come down to $24 FJD, or $1 off a basic spirit or beer.

One thing which did exceed our expectations was the local Fijian staff. They were amazing and we couldn't speak any higher of how enjoyable and memorable they did make our holiday. Also highly recommended would be Soni's village tour. It will open your eyes to what life outside of the resort is like in Fiji.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jon5y
FijiDiver_9, Owner at Volivoli Beach Resort Fiji, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Bula Vinaka,

Thank you for your review of Volivoli Beach Resort. Your feedback is much appreciated.

Firstly my apologies for not getting straight back to regarding Fishing, Unfortunately I had to leave the resort on urgent business and at that stage we still had not had anyone else enquire about fishing which you were waiting on to share the cost. Still not excuses.

Something that I do need to point out that any angler will know that fishing is fishing not "catching" and in some rare circumstances you will not catch fish. Popping charters are very specific and the equipment is very expensive so pre booking is essential and most people bring their own equipment for that hence not having 4 casting rigs on the boat, you were not on a popping charter. That said we do have rental equipment.

I would also like to point out that cocktails are $25fjd and the happy our price is $20.00fjd, there are 3 happy hours per day with local beer at $4.50fjd approximately $2.70AUD which I simply can not beat.

You really hit the nail on the head in that fiji is what it is because of the Fijian people.

Once again thank you for your review and kind regards

Reviewed 6 March 2014

we have visited Volivoli twice now (first trip August 12, second trip Aug 13) The diving is just as good as we remember it.

The resort is a 2.5 hour drive from the airport. The resort can organise a transfer for you. The road near the resort is really rocky, so if you hire a car, get a 4WD. We also got the driver to stop at a local shop on the way to the resort, so we could pick up snacks on the second visit, which made life easier as there isn't snacks available all the time.

The resort is a dive resort, so when your not diving there isn't much to do. In saying that, just take a book or a couple of magazines and enjoy the fabulous views from the beach.

We dived with the Ra Divers most days and also organised a day spa treatment at the hotel next door. The resort can organise a taxi for you for cheap.

We always feel like we are coming home to Volivoli, as we are a million miles a minute at home, its hard for us to relax. But at Volivoli, we relax instantly and enjoy every moment.

We loved Sonny's village tour, Bob's night Dive and the fabulous singer and guitar player that plays each night at dinner.

Jen was lovely and helpful as always. The food is still a bit hit and miss, but its not too bad.

If you love to dive and want a real dive resort that allows you to relax and leave your worries at the entrance, then this is the place for you.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Bula Vinaka,

I am very happy to inform you of the amendments made at Volivoli since your stay in April 2013. We have worked on our menu and am very happy to let you know we have raised the bar with the addition of a few dishes and wonderful daily specials.

Since your departure we have completed our new reception offering a pleasant arrival with all the amenities you might need quickly after a 2.5 hour drive.

Something you will enjoy on your next visit is our recently opened day spa on site here at Volivoli. Dau Lomani spa offers wonderful treatments with a view to die for.

We look forward to your return

Reviewed 4 March 2014

One of if not the best dive resorts I have visited in the last 40 years. The people of Fiji are welcoming and friendly. The staff was great and everyone knew the names of everyone in are group of 12 on day two.
RA Divers Captains and Divemasters were the best. The reefs were outstanding, if you are a photographer you will not be disappointed only overwhelmed.
Be sure to take the time to visit the village with Soni (member of the staff) and see Fiji like a local.

To address some negative posts on trip advisor.

The food is great and more than you can eat. One of my dive buddies played in the NFL, he left food after the meal.
There are to many hills. Fiji is a volcanic island, on the bright side half of the time it is down hill.

I normally do not return to a destination I have been to. This resort is the exception. I will be returning.
Steve, Nick and Staff thanks for the best vacation ever

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
FijiDiver_9, Owner at Volivoli Beach Resort Fiji, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Bula Vinaka,

Thank you very much for your kind review of Volivoli Beach Resort, It was pleasure to host you at the resort and we look forward to your return.

Your feedback is very much appreciated and Ill be sure to pass on your regards to all the crew.

Nick Darling

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rakiraki
Fiji Marriott Resort Momi Bay
Wananavu Beach Resort
Wananavu Beach Resort
#2 of 4 in Rakiraki
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Volivoli Beach Resort Fiji? Share your experiences!