“A nice place for a short stay waiting for the dive boat”

Volivoli Beach Resort Fiji
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Rakiraki
Highland, Indiana
“A nice place for a short stay waiting for the dive boat”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Our Fiji itinerary had us arriving hours before our boat picked us up. We spent the time at VoliVoli beach resort.

This resort is way off the beaten path. It is very secluded and quiet.

The grounds are very scenic with lush trees and flowering bushes everywhere overlooking blue water. Quite a change from the -16F of Chicago the day before!

The desk clerk let us store our luggage in a secure room so we could enjoy the beach and pool.

Some people were snorkeling off the beach, but they said there wasn't much life right on the beach.

The pool was really nice and quite refreshing.

since I was only there for half a day, I didn't get to check out any of the guest rooms.

We ate lunch at the poolside restaurant. An interesting place with a great view. I had the local special hamburger which was really good.

The day at the hotel was included in our itinerary, so I can only rate the value based on the restaurant. I have no idea what it costs to stay there as a regular guest.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
FijiDiver_9, Owner at Volivoli Beach Resort Fiji, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Bula Vinaka,

Thank you very much for your review of Volivoli Beach Resort, It is nice to get the perspective of a day tripper.

I trust you had a great stay on board the SY Fiji Siren and hope that you may be able to return soon and dive with us land based, There really is no better option than a combo with a week at Volivoli then boarding the SY Fiji Siren for a 7 or 10 night trip.

Nick Darling

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We have stayed at Volivoli on two occasions. Both times we found the staff and owners to be dedicated to providing the best service possible.
The food is wonderful and the alterations to the bar and pool have made a positive impact.
The accommodation is fantastic, we stayed in one of the Bure on the hill. What a view.
The rooms were wonderfully presented and very clean.
First trip we went fishing and had a fantastic time.
Beautiful beach and plenty of activities incl diving.
Thanks so much for the experience

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
FijiDiver_9, Owner at Volivoli Beach Resort Fiji, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Bula Vinaka,

Thank you very much for your kind review of Volivoli Beach Resort, your feedback is very much appreciated.

I am pleased to hear your second visit was a good as your first, It is always great to welcome repeat customers to Volivoli.

I would also like to mention that now with our new reception open we hope that your check in was a more pleasant experience, Also with the completion of our new spa that you were able to treat yourselves to some much deserved pampering.

We are well underway with the construction of our new beachfront restaurant, bar and dive shop which will mean you have more options for day time food and beverage along with all the much needed beachside amenities and sundowner drinks.

Once again thank you and kind regards

Burra
Reviewed 13 April 2014

The location couldnt have been more perfect, the people at the resort are so lovely you are always well taken care off. the activities are great and will keep you entertained and the villas are just a perfect taste of fiji with the comfort of airconditioning lol

Room Tip: Our villas was amazing but we had a tree right in the way of our view of the ocean but there were st...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

FijiDiver_9, Owner at Volivoli Beach Resort Fiji, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Bula Vinaka,

Thank you for your review of Volivoli Beach Resort. I am glad that you enjoyed your time with us, We hope to see you return at some stage.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Travelled as a couple. The hotel looked too good to be true on its website so we thought we would give it a try. Travelled from Suva to RakiRaki. The signs for the hotel were very poor and we missed the first turn once, had to turn back around and then made our way in. The road leading to the hotel is appalling. Dirt road maneuvering through villages, going over massive humps and rocks that stick out of the road. There should really be a note saying, PLEASE TAKE A 4 WHEEL DRIVE. It took us almost an hour before we made it to the hotel. The guy at the desk Satish checked us in. There isn’t a porter service so you have to take your own bags to your rooms. It wasn't too bad though as it is just one flat path to the rooms. When we got to our rooms we were amazed at the breathtaking views. The hotel has the most beautiful views of the Ocean right in front of you. Room was very well appointed and beds very comfortable, we decided to lay back for a bit and watch a bit of telly. Reached for the remote, THERE WAS NO TV. Just one big blank wall in front of us. I thought TV’s were a basic in every hotel but this place doesn’t have it. Shocked we thought lets just try and get some towels and go for a swim. Reached for the phone- low and behold there are no phones in the room.! How is it that in the 21st century we have no phone and TV connections? How do we get hold of reception if we need something? Hence my title not a real resort.
We went to have a swim in the pool and thought we could enjoy a few cocktails at the swim up bar, well there’s a bar there alright but no staff, no music just silence and a few hotel staff gawking at you. Very uncomfortable. Its almost like we were the only people there. We went back to our room after the swim and lazed around before going for dinner. The welcome book said there was going to be a bottle of FIJI Water in the fridge for use everyday, yet all I found in our fridge was a jug of tank water I was told by the reception guy. The book also said the resort has book and magazines so we thought to pass time we should go check it out. The reception guy looked disinterested when we asked him, looked in a few drawers before emerging to tell us there was none! Really bad service from him, he just looked like he wanted to get out of there as soon as possible. Cocktails before dinner tasted like fruit juice, im not sure if it had any alcohol in it. Food at Dinner was lovely. Please note that even though they say activities are available at the resort, the all come at a fee. There's a pool table but you need $1 coin to plain. Dart board, but a $20.00 deposit is taken for 3 darts, raggedy beach towels come at a $20.00 bond. Snorkeling right off the beach is dull, no fish but iv heard diving is amazing.
Overall as long as you are aware of the above the accommodation is a good stop over, I cannot imagine how bored I would have been if we stayed for an extra night.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank travelbugtwins
FijiDiver_9, Owner at Volivoli Beach Resort Fiji, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Bula Vinaka,

Thank you for your review of Volivoli Beach Resort, Your feedback is very much appreciated, without it we can not learn as we go.

Unfortunately it seems that you took the wrong turn coming from Suva, The sign at the main road is very new and large at 2.4mx2.4m. Whilst I agree the dirt road from the main road is not like driving on a sealed road it is in good shape for a gravel road, especially since maintenance was completed a couple of weeks ago which unfortunately must have been after you travelled it. Any how when you take the correct turn off its 4km to the resort driveway and 1km from there to the resort. You will also be very happy to hear that the resort driveway has just recently been upgraded also. It seems you have slightly embellished the truth here with it taking "almost an hour" considering it is 2.5 hours to Suva.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed the stunning ocean views from your room which really are spectacular and a real feature of the resort. I am glad you highlighted one of Volivoli's biggest selling points "THERE ARE NO PHONES OR TV'S IN THE ROOMS" you can truly relax on holiday while at Volivoli however Wifi is available throughout the resort should you need contact with the world.

I am troubled by the fact that there were no staff at the pool bar however this is only open daily form 3-6pm, outside those hours the bar staff should have been tending to you while down at the pool, My apologies as this clearly did not happen.

We do offer pure rain water in the rooms that is replenished daily, Bottled water is available for purchase should you prefer, the issue here was the old compendium was not replaced however this is now and reads appropriately.

I will definitely follow up on the cocktails because I am shocked to hear yours tasted like fruit juice... Our standard cocktails have 3 shots in each.

I would also like to apologise for my reception staff not being attentive and helpful, This simply is not good enough and I will follow up.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Fairfield, California
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We are scuba divers but the property is appropriate for everyone. They have an on site dive shop, beautiful rooms, very clean and well maintained, and an excellent restaurant with good service and food. The staff quickly knows your name. Apparently they have converted themselves into a high end property and are definitely succeeding. The view of the South Pacific Sea with distant islands is breathtaking. If you can splurge for the seaside villa rooms they are definitely worth it, however all the rooms have ocean views. The villas have a kitchen and washing machine and no TV or phone. The property is located in a rural area, surrounded by green hills and open beaches and cliff coastline. There is a lovely long curved beach and very few swimmers but great swimming. You can use kayaks or fish, or snorkel or scuba dive. There are day trips, basket making, and dance exhibitions and craft sales. The grounds are manicured and lovely. There is some construction going on but it was low key and not a bother to us. The weekly village tour is well worth it. There is massage and internet, both for a fee. This property is a good two hour drive from the international airport. We had an included transfer.

Room Tip: The villas are worth it.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bigtrek
FijiDiver_9, Owner at Volivoli Beach Resort Fiji, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Bula Vinaka,

Thank you very much for your review of Volivoli Beach Resort, Your feedback is very much appreciated.

I think you covered everything off very well and your review was very informative, exactly what this site is about.

Thank you once again, I hope to welcome you back soon.

Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Spent 4 days in Fiji during first week of March and 2 full days fishing. The weather was phenomenal (though hot out on the water), the staff were super friendly, and the fishing was fantastic. Nick knows the local water and knows how to fish your target fish, which for us was yellowfin and GT. We trolled out to fishing grounds and then cast-popped the rest of the day. The fishing gear was great but I would recommend bringing your own gear if you want to do anything besides troll; that way you're used to the equipment and get down to fishing quicker. I was quite pleased with my experience and hope to visit again soon. Volivoli is out of the way, which is great for fishing opportunities, but be prepared to eat most of your meals there unless you are up for some drives. Food is good so that was fine by me; if you're a fish eater, ask for the Kokonda.

Room Tip: Talk with the owners ahead of time to get an idea of what the rooms are like so you know what you ar...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
FijiDiver_9, Owner at Volivoli Beach Resort Fiji, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Bula Vinaka,

I am happy that you enjoyed your time with us, It is always a blast for me when I have anglers at the resort.

I sincerely hope we can fish together again soon.

Orangevale, California
Reviewed 13 March 2014

This was my first time visiting Volivoli Beach Resort. I had seen pictures of the resort before but found it hard to believe the resort could be that nice. Boy was I wrong, the resort was that nice and more. The resort is immaculate, the views are breath taking. The rooms are "eat off the floor" clean. I did my best to try all the different food choices. I did not have a bad meal. Everything is cooked to order, no buffet here (thankfully). My interaction with the owners the Darling family could not be better. Nick and Steve went out of their way to make sure I was taken care of. They understand customer service and do their best to achieve the highest rating there could be. Finally their dive operation is the best around. They know the sites and make sure every diver is safely back on board the boat.

Needless to say I will be back!

Room Tip: I toured the resort and had the chance to see the different room styles. I stayed in the Villas and...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Proby50
FijiDiver_9, Owner at Volivoli Beach Resort Fiji, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Bula Vinaka,

Than you for your review of Volivoli Beach Resort, Your feedback is very much appreciated.

Volivoli has a lot to offer people and is getting better and better and your detailed report helps spread the word.

We look forward to your return, Until then take care

Regards

Nick Darling
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rakiraki
The Warwick Fiji
Wananavu Beach Resort
#2 of 4 in Rakiraki
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island

Been to Volivoli Beach Resort Fiji? Share your experiences!