“Enjoyable stay”
Review of Abiquiu Inn

Abiquiu Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Abiquiu B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 August 2012

The Abiquiu Inn is attractive and comfortable, but the real surprise was the food at their restaurant. Breakfast and dinner choices were both outstanding. I highly recommend the chocolate piñon tart. I've never had a better dessert. No exaggeration. The dining area is filled with fantastic artwork. Staff was friendly and helpful. Beds were comfortable, rooms were a nice size, kiva fireplaces were a nice touch. The back door of our room led to a pretty, shared courtyard with seating, a fountain and a pergola. Unfortunately, the Mosquitos were too thick and aggressive for us to enjoy it for long. We plan to visit again next summer for a longer stay, and next time we'll bring our own bug spray.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 August 2012

Except for Santa Fe, I spent more $ on this room than for any on my trip to New Mexico. Alas, I was not very happy with my stay. Three complaints: 1) mosquitoes in the room; 2) the fire alarm was disconnected and in the drawer, and 3) worst of all I was ripped off on the phone. They did remove charges from my bill for 2 calls that didn't go through (i.e. I got a recording about checking the number) for $.99 each (gee thanks!), but then I was charged more than $9 for 2 very short calls although there is NO cell phone coverage at the Inn. The calls were to a California area code although the phone was but a short distance away, which I point out because the world has changed since these outdated "policies" for charges were written. HELLOOOO! Today, we don't use calling cards that enable us to pay just $.60 per call from the Inn and it seems likely that the calls I made were free for the Inn, at least as is the case with most residential land-line phone service. Equally annoying, I was asked my opinion of my stay, wrote the above, and received no response.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank BizBuddy
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We spent two nights here last week so as to spend a couple of days kayaking and fishing on the lake, and enjoyed our stay. Yes, it's buggy this time of year, but like another reviewer we were glad they didn't spray. Yet, I would have strongly supported the use of a little ant bait around the property! In spite of this, our casita stayed bug-free, with help from an overpriced can of Deep Woods Off bought at Bode's.

When I made the reservation a week prior, I was thrilled to get a 25% discount offered, so booked an upgraded room that supposedly had a private patio. The unit was sort of motel-like, but ok, but the private patio was a few pieces of flagstone with no furniture. When we checked in they were offering the same room for around $60. less, and would not allow us the lower rate since we were already within the 24 hour cancel period. Supposedly they had a large group cancel last minute, so the decision to offer this special was a last-minute deal. However, when I spoke with the manager, she upgraded us to a one bedroom casita, so we were pretty satisfied. Yet, a person walking in off the street would have still gotten a better deal. That said, I don't recommend this if a reader is determined to stay here, as they often fill up with large tour groups coming to see the O'Keefe home.

Since our upgraded casita had a kitchen, we were sorry to have not brought more food. Yet, the restaurant was good, and surprisingly affordable for the locale.

Previous reviewer commented about the lack of good housekeeping. Our place was pretty good, but could have benefited from a deep cleaning. This was particularly true on our screened-in porch which looked like it hadn't been cleaned all season.

We will be back. Kayaking at Abiguiu Lake was spectacular, and this sure beats camping! Plus it's really the only place to stay between Espanola and Chama.

1  Thank mandre
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Every time I have stopped either with my family or on a tour of New Mexico, the food has been superb.
Nice break on your travels to the many attractions that new Mexico has to offer.
Fall is so pretty here in New Mexico that this is a great stop in the fall or any time of the year.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I agree fully with previous reviews. The location and food were great. We had room 17 and was as dirty and bug filled as camping outdoors. If they can get the rooms cleaned up and de-loused, I think they would have a winning place to stay in a very lovely part of the country

Room Tip: View your room and make sure it is clean and mosquito ant and spider free before you accept it
1  Thank travelinbabe
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Stayed in the room that had two queens and back opens up to a peaceful landscape. Went to Ojo Caliente for the mud baths and ate dinner and stayed one night at the Abiquiu Inn. I booked the rooms for the trip so I already knew it was going to be nice but the three other people I were with were loving it. Rooms are tastefully done and location is beautiful and peaceful. The two queen rooms are also very large and had the best beds and pillows. The owners are clearly involved in making sure your stay is fantastic. Everyone was very nice and the food was some of the best we had on our trip. I am glad they don't spray for bugs and ants like someone complained about. Put on your own bug spray. They even sell an organic one in the gift shop which I actually bought because I live in Florida. The ghost ranch and Georgia O'Keefe are close by and Ojo Caliente is not to far if you want to soak. Wish we had booked longer but there is always a next time.

Room Tip: the two queen rooms have plenty of room for four people.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 July 2012

After reading such positive reviews on tripadvisor, I was surprised to find at the Abiquiu Inn: dusty lamps, having to climb behind the bed to plug in a lamp, mosquitoes all day that were impossible to keep out of the room, marks on walls from swatted bugs, and no housekeeping during our two-night stay. But the location is wonderful, and it's great to have the restaurant on-site with really good food. (Pinon pancakes at breakfast and tamale cakes at dinner were delicious!) Restaurant staff were friendly and helpful. Full gift shops with beautiful jewelry...and bug spray. Be aware: front desk has limited hours. Arrive before 9:00.

2  Thank RevCB
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abiquiu
20 mi away
Santa Claran Hotel Casino
Ghost Ranch Education & Retreat Center
Inn at the Delta
Inn at the Delta
#1 of 2 in Espanola

Been to Abiquiu Inn? Share your experiences!