“Holy, YES and Thank you :)”

Manava Suite Resort Tahiti
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Punaauia
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Great Place. A slice of heaven.
The water, the food, the free life style is unbeatable.
I traveled all over the world and this is becoming number one on my list of places to hang the hat when I retire in a couple of years.
I will be retunring after the Holidays to spend the winter hear and I can't can't wait :)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank MattA612
msrt, Responsable réception at Manava Suite Resort Tahiti, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2013

Ia Orana from sunny Tahiti,

Thank you so much for your nice comments .
Be sure that all our staff is looking forward to welcoming you again in our "slice of Heaven"

Warm regards,

The management,

Reviewed 30 November 2013

• Location: The hotel is situated next to a busy road.
• Positive aspect is that there are great views of Moorea from the pool.
• Noise: Not only the standard rooms which are literally on the road but also the Garden Studios facing the road are very noisy. I was woken up at 5.30 AM by the heavy traffic! Maybe the Ocean facing rooms might be less noisy.
• Room size: the rooms (Garden Studios) are relatively large with a small kitchenette, a separate toilet and a large bathroom.
• Room maintenance and cleanness: the room looks very tired and run down and all does not look very clean. In addition there is a strong bad smell in the bathroom. Also the other areas of the hotel and the gardens are not well maintained.
• Staff and Service: literally there is no much service. At Check In at 01.00 AM I had to wait for 30 minutes before it was my turn, there was only one person at the front desk. He was not overly friendly. There was also absolutely nobody to help with my luggage. When I had some issues (noise) the staff did not care although I asked for a feedback. Check Out was also slow and not friendly.
• Conclusion: this hotel is on a 2-star level, but unfortunately they sell it as 4-star which leads to big frustrations. In particular the maintenance and the cleanness as well as the service are far below expectations. I therefore strongly recommend to choose another hotel in Tahiti

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank TandTSwitzerland
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Like many travelers and honeymooners, we arrived into Papeete airport late at night from the US, and needed a one-night stay prior to jetting off to other points in French Polynesia. Although we considered the Intercontinental closer to the airport, we thought it would be cool to try out a different and more "authentic" hotel, and at only 10 minutes from the airport via taxi (flat fees depending on what time of day you travel), we enjoyed Manava and the value received for price paid.

Check-in was super easy and the desk clerk was efficient; we were pleased that our room was very modern, clean, and didn't seem to have any of the issues I'm seeing in recent reviews. Although we were only at the hotel and in our room a total of 10 hours, we stay in hotels 100+ nights per year, and have an eye for the good and the bad. Manava was among the "good." Bed was your typical European-style "push two twins together for a king-size," but the bed setup itself was very comfortable and clean. I'm sure the long day of travel helped with that perception. Bathroom was clean and modern, and had nice water pressure in the shower. Only issue was the lack of door made for water on the floor and the overly-modern design of the sink basins meant water spilled onto the floor when attempting to brush teeth or wash face.

Air conditioning worked just fine for us, no problems.

We would have liked to have had some breakfast prior to our morning flight since the airport on Tahiti has very little from which to choose, but there was no breakfast offered insofar as we could tell, not even a way to get a quick coffee - that would be a point of improvement for the hotel.

Overall, a nice alternative to the Intercontinental for people looking for a crash pad prior to continuing (or when ending) their French Polynesian voyage.

1  Thank volksaudinut
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I always roll my eyes when I read reviews that start with something overly dramatic such as, “This was the worst hotel I’ve ever stayed in!” But in this instance, I unfortunately have to begin my review just like that. This truly is the worst hotel that either my husband or I have ever stayed in.

We stayed for 1 night in October 2013, and thank goodness it wasn’t longer than that.
This hotel boasted that they are a quick trip from the airport. No way. We were on a bus for what seemed like forever before we arrived (I think it ended up being 15-20 minutes). Check-in was quick and we took all of our own luggage up to our room since apparently no one helps you with it at this hotel.

This hotel is set up in an odd manner. It’s split down the middle and there are different wings jetting off everywhere. You have to look up at the ceiling at the arrows to see where to go to get to your room and take many turns down hallways to get to it. It was just after sunset when we arrived, and the corridors of this hotel are so poorly lit that it didn’t feel safe at all to be walking around there. It was DARK as we turned down all the hallways.

We finally found our room, and I nearly cried when we went inside and saw what it looked like. There was no shower! What hotel room in this century doesn’t have a shower?!?! We had to catch a 6:00 a.m. flight the next day, and I didn’t need to luxuriate in a bathtub. Then I noticed that while there was a sink and a standalone bathtub, there was no toilet. We walked down the hallway and found this little closet with nothing but a sad little toilet and a roll of toilet paper behind the door. What?! Why on earth is the toilet not with the rest of the bathroom?

We decided that we couldn’t handle not having a shower in our room and we went down to front desk to ask for a switch, even if we had to pay more. The young man at front desk barely spoke a lick of English. I ended up having to mime out a shower in front of everyone at the lobby. There I was, pretending to scrub myself in what felt like some awful game of charades. He finally understood what I meant and got on the phone to call the manager. Why did he need to talk to a manager to do a room change? Honestly! We stood there for 20 minutes (I watched the clock!) while a line of 5 other couples formed behind us. Finally, he got off the phone and gave us the room key to the new room. We moved all of our stuff over ourselves, since once again, no one helps you out at this hotel. The new room was exactly like the old one, except that it had a shower. There was still that odd little toilet closet, though, and there was still no air-conditioning or a working ceiling fan.

Then we noticed the bedding. All you’re given is the lightest and cheapest blanket to cover yourself with at night. It was more like a sheet than a blanket. But it ends up being ok since you will be roasting in your hotel room, folks!

That brings me to my next point. We messed with all of the buttons, remotes, and controls we could find to get the silver ceiling fan above the bed to work. It rotated soooo slowly that it was actually a decoration and not a functioning fan capable of cooling anyone off. The air conditioning also wouldn’t go below 18 degrees. Where I come from, 18 degrees is just a starting point for the air conditioning! We were sweating and so uncomfortable.

When I walked over to the mini fridge in the kitchen, there was a sign that read that if you’d like it to be stocked as a mini-bar that you’d have to call them to stock it. What?! A minibar should already be stocked.

We walked back down to the lobby and thought that we’d go to the gift shop to get some bottled water since our room was bare and had nothing. The gift shop is nothing more than trinkets, and they had nothing useful to vacationers (like water).

We then walked back to our room and ordered room service and had 4 bottles of water, burgers, and fries delivered. This was the one ray of sunshine we experienced. There was someone on the other end of the phone who understood English when I ordered and our orders arrived quickly. The food was good and the price was reasonable. That was a good experience.

All channels on the t.v. are in French. While I understand that this is French Polynesia, they get a ton of tourism from non-French speaking clients.

We slept terribly on the bed here, and we were super hot and uncomfortable.

Check-out was very slow the next morning, and there was once again a long line-up behind us. We only ever saw one person at a time at front desk, regardless of how busy it got in the lobby.

We wish so badly that we would have gone with our gut and booked the Intercontinental. When we drove past that hotel it looked incredible. You get what you pay for, and we stupidly went with the cheaper option and booked this hotel.

I would never recommend this hotel to anyone after the way our stay went. No one helped us with luggage, no one explained how anything in our room worked (perhaps there was a way to get the ceiling fan to work, but we’ll never know), the beds and bedding are awfully cheap, we sweated our butts off that night, the rooms are extremely odd in design, the hallways at night are dark and unsettling, and the front desk staff mainly only speaks French. I would stay anywhere else if I were you. We met a nice couple who had stayed at the Radisson and raved about it, so if you are on a budget, I’d check that one out instead.

Room Tip: Get a room with a shower!
6  Thank mgramato1

We are most sorry to read that you didn't enjoy your stay at the Manava Suite resort of Tahiti. Some aspects such as design, are simply a matter of personal preference .
However it is through constructive criticism that we continue to improve our services and facilities and rest assure that some issues you've mentioned will receive immediate action.
We’d like to take this occasion to express our sincere apologies on the fact that you had to bring your own luggage in your room ( twice as no one helped you with your room move ). This is NOT our normal procedure and is totally unacceptable as we do have a bell boy on property 24/7 .
We are sorry that you 've find the ride, from the Airport to the hotel, long , but the hotel is only 5 miles away from the airport ( cf Google maps) , being closer to the Airport will be a problem in term of quietness , with the international flights landing and taking off in the middle of the night.
The Manava Suite Resort has 121 rooms and apartment and only 4 of them do not have a separate shower but only a shower in the tub. All our rooms have separate toilets from the bathroom, and this is done on purpose as we think ( like most of our guests ) that this is much better for the comfort of our guests .
Finally all our air conditioning are set up with a minimum temperature of 18° C ( which is 65 ° F ) and we won't go lower than this temperature as this may cause environmental problems ( as it use a lot of energy to go under this temperature in a tropical island) and health problem for our older guests ( temperature difference between the room and the outside will be to strong ) .
Once again please accept our apologies for the problems you have encountered on property and be sure that your comments will be followed by immediate actions.

Best regards ,

The Management ,

Reviewed 14 November 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights earlier this week and wouldnt be staying again, only stay here if you absolutely have to... It was boiling hot the nights we were there and the fan only has 1 speed which is low so it was pointless and the air conditioner did not work so we had no sleep what so ever.. The bathroom was very dirty (really needs a good clean), and to top it off the tv doesnt have any english channels.. VERY POOR!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jmzz1986
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Just one night before going to Moorea and another night before leaving French Polynesia.
It is clean but needs some maintenance, we had some broken things in the room...
Staff was kind and helpful.
Pool is nice and with a great view.

Room Tip: Rooms in front of the street are very rumorous as the traffic starts very early in the morning.
1  Thank Danielle L
Reviewed 11 November 2013

This hotel is fine for a one night stay if necessary in Tahiti in regards to traveling. The pool is gorgeous, and the sunset is wonderful, but other than that I found it par. I do not understand why it is called a resort either.
The food was decent at the bar, the beds were too short for my husband's long legs, our A/C did not work, we were not escorted to our rooms and the breakfast was nothing spectacular.

My recommendation is if you need to stay long in Tahiti to stay here, but if you need to stay for only a few hours, I'd stay at the airport motel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Punaauia
Manava Beach Resort & Spa - Moorea
Tahiti Pearl Beach Resort
Le Meridien Tahiti
Le Meridien Tahiti
#2 of 3 in Punaauia

Been to Manava Suite Resort Tahiti? Share your experiences!