“Lovely resort, Friendly staff. Will definitely return”
Review of Kololi Beach Club

Kololi Beach Club
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Kololi
Cookham Dean, United Kingdom
“Lovely resort, Friendly staff. Will definitely return”
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Spent a week here. The staff couldn't be friendlier. The grounds are well kept. The beach clean. Our 2 bedded apartment was spotless and large. Would liked to have had air conditioning in all rooms rather than just the twin bedroom. The restaurant on the beach was lovely. The menu could probably get a bit more adventurous and less 'english'. The sauces on the dishes all tended to taste similar. The puds and cocktails were great.

Don't be put off by the so called rainy season. it was very hot and sunny for the majority of the time we were there and only rained twice for a small amount of time. Easy access to trips to see the country.

Don't t confuse it with the Holiday Beach Club which is an entirely different establishment.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank MittensMaidenhead

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2011

stayed originally nov 2010 and returned feb 2011. we had never been to gambia before and had heard many bad reports about all the hassle we would get from bumsters . we were also told we wouldnt be able to leave the hotel on a night as it may be dangerous.
How wrong these comments are about the gambia.
Kololi beach club is located at the quiet end of "the strip" right on the beach . the hotel is set around lush gardens with a central pool and bar area. the staff are very friendly and the rooms were a good size very clean with nice terrace . that is the bungalows. we were originally put in a top floor room in the blocks at the entrance to the hotel , these were awful , dark and dingy and i hated them , however we asked very nicely to be moved and we got moved the following day . if possible request the bungalows and you ll be very happy.
breakfast is poor , never changes . bread cheese bananas and melon. was nice but every day got boring. but gambia is very cheap and we went out some mornings for breakfast.
one downside id the cost of extras. the holiday wasnt expensive but in november was very hot and they charge £20 a week for a fan ! £50 a week air con . safety deposit box was £15 week. all in all though the hotel is well run and unlike some other hotels the manager doesnt allow anyone other than hotel guests to come in , so no young gambian visitors meeting up with older europeans , you get my drift.
as you exit the hotel there are many restaurants and bars etc all very safe to walk out through the day and at night . you do get asked all the time if you want trips, taxis , drugs etc but we just said no and they moved on they were not intimidating and once they knew your face left you alone .
the walk out the other end of the hotel leads directly to beach , this is amazing very lush and unspoilt and pretty deserted. we walked along for hours many days . again occasional hassle for time share, fruit sellers etc but a friendly but firm No does the trick.
if you like Goa but are sick of the 10 hour flight and fancy a change the gambia is better, friendlier locals great weather 5 hrs flight same time zone. and very cheap .
oh and finally the monkeys , do not feed them as they get lazy and need to find their own food , you wont be dissapointed if you want to see them , they are all over the grounds and come down to the pool in packs at times. very funny and cute

Room Tip: ask for ground floor bungalows
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank scooterleeds
San Diego, California
Reviewed 10 June 2011

I was disappointed with the banking system. Everything had to be paid with dalasi(cash) .ATM machines didnt take my mastercard Travelex card. I can only get cash advances from visas. We found a hotel that gave cash on American Express and Mastercard but they charge high interest rates.
It's advisable to take cash and exchange at the banks.
I was surprised that we had to pay an exit fee $30 per person. We flew Brussels Air and the clerk made me check in all my luggage $150.00. I was upset when I had to check in my small carry-on luggage and one drum. I will definitely not return to Gambia. I was tricked out of my money but I went ahead and paid it because I didnt want them to attack us.
Besides that, majority of the people was extremely nice. You definitely have to negiotate.
I was disappointed with the Trip to Senegal is was a waste of money $110 charged by Discovery Travel Agency that the hotel recommended. A potted sandwich was lunch and we all saw about 6 animals. We have more than that at our WIld Animal Park in San Diego. Also, I was disappointed when Kololi Beach Club Resort cancelled the African dancers. Also there taxi service from the resortn charged more than the green taxis. The maintenance fee was high about $100 for the week.
Overall, I enjoyed the Roots Experience tour and shopping in the marketplace. The vacation was bitter/sweet. I loved the experience but it saddens my heart to see how poor the people are. The food was DELICIOUS. I really enjoyed it. Especially Chicken Yassa.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Margosd1961
Notts
Reviewed 11 January 2011

I was slightly trepidatious at the beginning of our weeks stay in the Gambia but I need not have been we loved it and the hotel. Disappointments were that the sea can be dangerous around this beach so we didnt venture in but the pool was great and we did travel to Paradise Beach and had a dip as there arent such strong undercurrents. On our last night the Senegambia had a big concert with Gambian top brass so we didnt get to sleep until 3am be aware that perhaps this could happen and I guess you have to go with the flow. Overall the upsides, outweigh any bad ,great music andlocal dancing lovely friendly people and the food was much better than I had expected. We met quite a few people who returned year after year.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JammyNotts
liverpool
Reviewed 1 November 2010

Cant beleive the positive reveiws here. It is a dump!! But maybe thats what some people like ? No A/C in living room, no TV, no phone, pool just a little unimagaginative small square. Bars dirty and reception looks like a porta-cabin. But if thats what you want from a vacation then go for it. Only place I have visited where I didn't take a photo!!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
9 Thank never6
Liverpool
Reviewed 10 August 2010

This was our 6th visit to Kololi Beach Club and it never fails to stun us with it's beauty and the friendliness of it's staff. Everyone at Kololi Beach Club makes you feel as if you are the most important person on site and nothing is too much trouble for them. We haven't been back for 5 years and realised just how much we missed The Gambia and it's people. We will be back next year!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AMliverpool1
derbyshire
Reviewed 9 February 2010

just returned from 2 weeks at this oasis, i can't fault anything about this hotel. from the beautiful gardens to the rooms and the very high standards of cleanliness. i would say this is a resort for older travellers looking to relax away from it all. i shall return here definatly.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank margurita
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kololi
Senegambia Beach Hotel
Seaview Gardens Hotel
Sunset Beach Hotel
Kombo Beach Hotel
Gambia Coral Beach Hotel & Spa

Been to Kololi Beach Club? Share your experiences!