“The last resort”
Review of Hotel Mercury

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Batumi
Hotel Mercury
Ranked #84 of 218 Batumi B&B and Inns
“The last resort”
Reviewed 7 August 2011

We had checked with a number of places before Mercury but they were all fully booked. After checking in at Mercury we found that the water had been shut off and when it finally came back there were no towels despite us asking specifically for that. Staff spoke very limited English. We moved out after only one night.

• Stayed August 2011
3 Thank Magman100

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Batumi is not cheap and this is one of the cheapest hotels in Batumi. But I guess they know why. There is a room service and I met several maids in the corridor, but this does not mean they will clean your room before check out, nor even after. The soils in the room and bathroom were very very dirty, would not move around barefoot, so was the bed, which consisted of a thin linen, a smelly coverlet and stained very basic pillows. Brownish torn down stores did not make your view on a busy street more enjoyable. The heating is not really efficient in winter, and it's either hot, while it's working, or cold, while it's not working.The spa is non-existent or closed, there is no breakfast unless you ask for it and they would prepare it especially for you. One look into their kitchen made me change my mind, as obviously most of their food stock is very old and should be placed into the bin. Service is basic and not very friendly. Obviously the management took no lesson from the sad incident described below, as there is still men sitting next to the reception, and some of them sleep on the couches around there. The only plus is that the hotel is centrally situated. The hotel reflects pretty well the average state the city is in. Refurbishment is going on all over the city, much effort is being made. However, the town still is very run-down, is a local tourist resort at its best, and has not much to offer off season. Would not go there again outside tourist season, neither to this hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Batumi hotels

usa
Reviewed 16 March 2011

Watch out. A man approached us in the lobby, and offered to drive my friend and I to bars around the city for 10 Lari per hour. We explained we wanted to go to places that Georgians frequented, not tourist traps.

First stop, a clun where we were the only patrons. We were then overcharged by 300%. And finally threatened with violence if we did not pay the bill.

Second stop, was the most popular club in the basement of a hotel. We could have found this on our own obvioulsy.

We then asked him to leave and paid him 20 lari for the two hours. He then demanded 50 Lari. We left him alone at the table.

Not only was he a "taxi driver" he was alos the night manager at our hotel!! We had no idea.

Upon arriving back to the hotel, he demanded his 50 Lari, and threatened us with police and violence. We were forced to pay.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank rmgsafari
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 7 December 2010

I stayed in this hotel for almost two weeks during the Summer of 2010. Two times a man was able to get to my room, despite at least two people of the staff sitting in the hall with security cameras. The first time the man molested me. The second time he raped me. After the first time the man came to my room (I opened the door, because I thought a maid stood there) I told the owner and staff of the hotel that if this man would come again, they should not let him go to my room. But one day later they let him go to my room. And when he got into my room, that time there was no escape possible...

The owner of the hotel said to Georgian officials that it was my own fault that this happened. They said that they could not know that this specific man was dangerous, because they had seen me more often with Georgian men. But the other Georgian men were friends, and these men never came up to my room.

Don't go to this hotel. Don't let this happen to you. This is a terrible hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
13 Thank Rosa8919
Utrecht
Reviewed 15 September 2010

The Bradt guide writes that this hotel has a rooftop swimmingpool. It turned out to be a little indoor swimmingpool. But also the other facilities are not worth to come here. The bar at the rooftop is not open and the bistro either. I didnt see the PC's to go on internet (like said in Bradt guide).
When I wanted to go to sauna it was not working either. They staff said it was 12 GEL notmally to put the sauna on but for me 25 GEL because I am alone. And otherwise I should go to a sauna outside. I explained them I already paid double for my room (70 GEL without breakfast) and I also pay this price to be able to use the facilities. The staff didnt care.
After all, this hotel is not worth the extra money because the facilities are not working. The rooms are OK but nothing special. You can get the same for less money.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank xLouise
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 5 June 2009

I was a little worried about finding a place to stay in Batumi, since I'd heard it was full of overpriced tourist traps. I found the Hotel Mercury on the Internet, and it seemed to offer very reasonably priced rooms that were of a higher standard than average. And overall, that's what it did have. The location is quite nice -- right in the center of town and within easy walking distance of the beach, but also close to major bus stops and within walking distance of the bus station. It's on a busy street though, and right across from a market, so don't expect peace and quiet!

The staff member who met me at the desk spoke a smattering of English and insisted on using it even though I speak Russian and he probably did too. We muddled through my room requests, though he couldn't answer any of my other touristy questions, like how to get to the bus station or even what their phone number was. My room was up too flights of stairs, right near the stairway to the "rooftop bar." I was looking forward to that, but sadly it wasn't it operation the whole time I stayed there. But you are allowed at some times to go up to the roof and look out (at other times it's locked up). My room was very "western looking," with a king-sized bed, cable TV, cabinet/dresser, and en suite bathroom. But don't let looks full you. We frequently lost power and cable, and "shower" is just a hanging nozzle, and with a bathroom that tiny, it's impossible not to get water all over the place. The Hotel Mercury has tried to add fancy touches, like little white hotel slippers, though I almost immediately got them wet in the bathroom and wasn't able to use them anymore.

On the plus side, the rooms come with very elegant balconies (though the curtains didn't fully cover the balcony doors, and light and noise flooded the room in the morning) and a very nice made-to-order breakfast is included in the room. Overall, I enjoyed my stay and would stay there again, but be aware that there are all of the flaws that one finds in a mid-range Georgian hotel, only here you're definitely paying for the location and elegant appearance. My room was $80 a night - nothing terrible, but I felt like I deserved a bit of a discount for the day we had no electricity. But alas, that is apparently common in Batumi, and the hotel staff had no sympathy for my complaints whatsoever.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled solo