“Good rooms and breakfast. Nothing more.”

Courtyard Hyderabad
Ranked #18 of 316 Hotels in Hyderabad
“Good rooms and breakfast. Nothing more.”
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Courtyard Hyderabad for over 30 nights staggered over May and June since I was transferred to Hyd, and was waiting for my apartment to get ready.

The following was my experience -
- Very comfortable and well maintained rooms. Room 5125 was the most comfortable (with the best view amongst the rooms I stayed in, at the end of a corridor), where we spent the last 19 days. Akram at the front desk was particularly helpful in allotting this room at my request.
- Good breakfast spread with an extremely cheerful and helpful manager (Roshan) every morning.
- An overall disappointing experience with the restaurants at lunch/dinner, both with the quality of the food and the quality of the service.
In room service, the quality of food ranged from good to very poor, with the very basics sometimes being ignored. I once ordered lemon rice on request and was amazed to find that the peanuts in the rice were hardly roasted and were almost raw! At other times, the paneer was consistently chewy and not soft. Yet another time, the chef chose to send me (without pre-checking!) a sandwich of his own choice, since the one I ordered could not be prepared.
My wife and I also had lunch twice at the Okra in the adjoining Marriott. While the desserts in the buffet were excellent, the starters both times were lying dead cold in the buffet spread. Even when requested at the table, it were the same cold starters that were picked up and served. Not expected of a hotel of this class. Service at the Okra was surprisingly poor with us constantly having to wave out to draw attention. This was not only the case at the Sunday brunch (which is crowded, that could be an excuse) but also surprisingly on another day when the restaurant was largely empty.
At the Momo cafe, we had the dinner buffet once- the choice was extremely limited and the service was poor.
- At times, an exasperating lack of attention to detail. e.g., soup being served in room service without salt and pepper, items specifically requested for being missed out to be served, only one glass being kept in the room although we were on double occupancy, amongst others. At the Momo cafe, in the dinner buffet, neither do the servers inform you of the items available directly at the table (starters, ice cream), nor is anything listed on the table in a menu card, nor is it on display at the counters! You get to know what's available if you chance upon somebody else having something that you weren't served!
- Extremely poor quality of laundry service- This really does take the cake. When the laundry charges are as exorbitant as they are, one would expect absolutely impeccable service. Unfortunately, this was not the case. We must have given laundry about 5-6 times. In one instance, clips/hooks were broken, which was very annoying but I ignored it thinking it must be one-off. However, the immediate next time, i found a button on my shirt broken. Unfortunately, I had already checked out and realised this after getting home. Not expected when you pay 200 odd rupees for a shirt wash!

All in all, a good hotel for a short stay of 3-4 days, where most of the detail goes unnoticed, but not recommended for a longer stay, since there are gaping holes in the service that then come to light. Also, I would stay clear of dining at the Okra or at the Momo cafe.

The Management at the hotel really has a lot to do in order to retain even the 3 or 4 star tag that the hotel holds.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
SharadDattaGM, General Manager at Courtyard Hyderabad, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Mr Sunil R
At the outset I regret that your experience has not been up to your expectation. Please be assured that I have heard all your candid feedback and have discussed it with my team. Since most guests at Courtyard prefer a quick meal, our options are less extensive at MoMo cafe. However anticipating the needs of long stayers, our chefs are happy to prepare a meal of your choice at any given point of time. I would like to discuss the feedback mentioned with you and I hope you would treat this experience in isolation and give us another opportunity to showcase the signature hospitality we are renowned for.

Sharad Datta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Indonesian first
Downers grove, IL
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Hotels in India can be a challenge and so I was very relieved to be staying at the Marriott as I knew the quality standard would be resonable. This hotel is a typical mid-class Marriott that is clean, efficient and comfortable at a reasonable room rate.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
SharadDattaGM, General Manager at Courtyard Hyderabad, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Ms.DGjackie,

I am delighted to hear that you have had a wonderful stay with us and that the Marriott experience has been up to your satisfaction. I look forward to welcome you on your next visit.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Courtyard by Marriott is in a ideal location in the middle of the city if you are not doing business in Hitec City. It is very close to many shopping areas and older business offices in Hyderabad. Let me also notate here that there aren't really any spectacular views of Lake Hussein Sagar from the Courtyard since this hotel faces away from it. So the views are not why you stay at this hotel. The hotel is a great value considering room rates go for around 4500 INR per night (~$75) with that gigantic breakfast spread included. The hotel recognizes elite status very well though upgrades are really hard to come by on the Courtyard side. The Executive club lounge is definitely one of the best I have visited to date and the service all round is consistently some of the best I have experienced at a chain hotel. The drawbacks of the hotel are very few considering it has become widely accepted to design a bathroom with a window. The hotel does have a generator so you need not worry of long power outages during your stay. This will be my go to hotel in Hyderabad when staying in the inner city. The hotel really deserves full marks if not for the poor design of the bathroom space. I don't know which person decided not to put a complete shower door or leave a window to the bathroom. Please read the entire review at grabamile.com

Room Tip: My only advice is that you make sure that you book the Courtyard instead of the Marriott since many...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear Mr Grabamile,
I am pleased to hear that Courtyard by Marriott Hyderabad is your preferred city centre hotel in Hyderabad. It is indeed a great place for business travellers who are on the go and most major business hubs are in close proximity form the hotel. The breakfast spread is extensive as we like to offer our guests to experience both local and international flavours. Thank you for commending the executive lounge, it is definitely a place to hang out and enjoy the views of the lake while you grab a bite or drink. I have taken note of your feedback on the design layout. I look forward to welcome you on your next visit soon.

Bijapur, India
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Great rooms, excellent breakfast, very good service. The location is also good. What needs a little improvement is the overall quality of the reception. We had booked through a travel agent and our payment was not reflected in their records. We said that the payment was made but instead of checking further internally, he put the sorting on us. We did get in touch with the agent and they found out that the payment had been made. Now such errors do happen we understand, but what is expected of a good hotel is a proper handling. I think they have very young and inexperienced staff manning the counter. Despite this it was a good experience and we will have no hesitation in recommending it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anupam1963
SharadDattaGM, General Manager at Courtyard Hyderabad, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Anupam1963,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear that you have had a great stay with us. At the outset I regret the inconvenience you have faced. I have discussed the feedback you have shared with my team and will take necessary action. Thank you for commending our hospitality and service and I look forward to welcome you on your next visit soon.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Good food. Helpful staff. We only spent a short time in the hotel, but the club facilities which are located in the marriott across the road where worth it for us.
We didn't have any meals at the courtyard therefore no comment on the food.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
SharadDattaGM, General Manager at Courtyard Hyderabad, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for commending our staff. I hope on your next visit you will try the lunch and dinner buffets that MoMo café is renowned for. I look forward to welcome you on your next visit soon.

Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I stayed this Hotel for two days and its was really wonderful experience.You can feel the luxury experience once you entered in to the hotel.Servants and Management are giving very good response if you ask for anything.

The main attraction is ,you can get all delicious food like Idli ,Masal dosa and briyani everything.

Yes its little costly but worth for your money.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
SharadDattaGM, General Manager at Courtyard Hyderabad, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Manikandan K,
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear that you have had a wonderful stay. Thank you for commending our hospitality and service. Chefs at the hotel are very happy to hear that you have relished our breakfast preparations. I look forward to welcome you at the hotel soon again.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Located in center of Hyderabad it offers east access to both Hyderabad and secunderabad, clean and well maintained rooms, staff is over courteous, buffet is good, spread is less. lobby area could have been better.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
SharadDattaGM, General Manager at Courtyard Hyderabad, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Rodabeh,
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear that you have had a memorable experience. Close proximity to tourist attractions and major business hubs, is what makes Courtyard by Marriott Hyderabad a preferred hotel many. Thank you for commending our rooms and our staff. I look forward to welcome you on your next visit.