“Surpassed high expectations”

Ranked #2 of 319 Hotels in Hyderabad
Reviewed 6 November 2011

In ever way superb, from being transported in an open carriage to the welcome (unusual drink : mine was carrot, ginger , mint and I think cardamon) - greeted gently on the front lawn to see the view before being taken to our room. No "front desk" but registered within our room (elegant understated) which made one feel a welcomed guest in a Stately Home rather than in a sumptuous hotel. Our 24 hours were unrushed, gentle , calm and thoroughly restorative after long travel . The service was excellent, subtle always courteous and friendly. The bathroom with its deep free standing bath, separated shower with that lovely sunflower shower head and His and Her basins were of an elegant home rather than a hotel. The historic tour late afternoon was fascinating and we enjoyed the Art Deco the carved wooden panels in the rooms, the amazing collection in the library. It was hard to believe this had all been rescued from a place that had become derelict. The attention to the smallest detail made one forget this had all been restored. The food was excellent- we ordered the Continental Breakfast and wondered how on earth one could have coped with the Full breakfast. Continental offered tiered plate of large choice of "danish" a large plate of croissants (superbly fresh) cold meats and cheese, a wide selection of cereals. elegantly cut fruit cappuccinos and champagne. I was handed 2 typewritten copies of recipes I had inquired about. The pool is tucked away discreetly to the side and although not part of the original, looks as if it is carved out naturally from the rock (even though is wasn't). In minutes a young man silently appeared at my side bearing a tray of ice cold cloths. bottled water, bottle sprays of facial mist , sunscreen and an assortment of newspapers, magazines. I later ordered a light lunch. The spa was a wing unto itself. At first it seemed more expensive than spas at other 5* hotels but the one hour foot reflexology transported me "into another planet" (and the masseuse was able to detect some ailments I have!) It was hard to tear ourselves away. We had had very high expectations but this surpassed even those. A lovely touch on departure: we were given framed photos of our arrival in the carriage, as gifts, cuff links for my husband and jeweled bangles for myself. On commenting I would have to "fight my 6 year grand daughter for these), my host immediately sent fort bangles for her. There were only 2 other couples staying there when we were there, but a conference group had just left and another about to arrive. I believe this gets booked for weddings and conferences a great deal but the atmosphere and outstanding service is such that I doubt that would interrupt a "non group" couple like ourselves for being cossetted every minute int the utter tranquility of this place. Yes, the room rate is high, but more than worth if for a most unique experience. We felt the restaurant was most reasonable compared with European prices. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Frankly I believe any room would be equally lovely.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Taj-Falaknuma-Palace, General Manager's Office at Taj Falaknuma Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2011

Dear Sir,
I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time and effort in sharing your feedback. It enables us to measure and improve our performance as we endeavour to provide you luxury hospitality. It is feedback such as yours that inspire us to constantly strive for excellence.
We value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you to Falaknuma Palace again.

Reviewed 1 November 2011

It's an absolute jewel.
Considering a rate about 400-500 USD per base category DBL, one can
expect just above-average business hotel, but you have superbly
restored high-end original palace, with all true grandeur and antiques
overwhelming the place.
Service-wise it's top-notch too. I have quite strong superstitions
against Taj service due to previous experiences, but Falaknuma is
impeccable.

Historical suite 302 where I was staying, is probably the best room in
whole palace: it's focused on atmosphere of by-gone era and reproduce
extremely well all that old-world charm. Drop in plenty of nice small
details and you know what was done to distinguish superb hotel from
just good one.
At least for myself historical suite was better then Nizam's suite,
which looks little not-a-true-story, to my taste.

Vassili

Room Tip: Take Historical suites 302 & 301.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Vassili L

Reviewed 27 October 2011

Alright, Nizam rather than Maharaja but you get the point... I won this trip in a charity fundraiser and had been to Hyderabad several times before on business, so I had no great expectations other than it would probably be a "nice hotel". Wrong. This is an AMAZING hotel, and it promptly rose on both my and my partner's travel list to "all-time best"...and we have travelled a lot and stayed in some fabulous places... From the moment you arrive at the very discrete turn-off from the crazy roads of Hyderabad you sense you might be in for something special. The security check of the car is an annoying but comforting delay. When the car then parks some distance from the hotel you wonder if you are in for a long walk up the hill...until the horse-drawn carriage appears...from that moment on we felt like the Nizam and whatever a female Nizam is (Nizette?). The manager personally greeted us and gave us an introduction to the hotel while we sipped on a refreshing juice cocktail laced with ginger and spice (and all things nice). We were then led into the hotel by a guard carrying the Nizam's own gold staff while rose petals showered down upon us magically from the sky. Once inside the palace we realised just how special this place is. A European styled palace loaded with all of the original furniture (it was closed down in the 50's and not touched until Taj took it over in the late 90's and spent 10 years restoring EVERYTHING to original condition). That's right - the ORIGINAL furniture. We were led outside to our room along a path through the gardens where the grass was so soft it felt like sponge rubber under foot. Our room was very tastefully decorated in a restrained style - not too over the top as some Indian hotels can be. The sheets were soft and the towels so fluffy that I wrote down the name of the supplier (Trident if you want to know...). From then on the staff responded to every need and predicted a lot of needs we didn't even know we needed...like a guide who magically turned up 5 minutes before our spa appointment to show us the way...and the pool attendant who arrived unprompted with magazines (correctly chosen by gender), chilled water and sunscreen....and the waiter who searched the hotel to find us and deliver our drinks when we left the table for a few moments...and the informative (free) hotel tour each afternoon with fascinating stories of times gone by... At night the lights of the city below are like stars, giving new meaning to the name of the hotel (Falaknuma means Reflection of Heaven) even though there was no city below it when built in the early 20th Century. Each meal we had was memorable and well worth the extra just for the attitude of the staff ("our guests are our Gods" is their motto, and they mean it without being corny...). I am not sure how far away they live, or how much sleep they get, but it seemed that the same people were always around at key moments to serve us with a smile. Another strange feature is that we felt like we were the only ones there even though we knew there were others around. Not sure how they achieved that... I am also not sure how nearly everyone knew our name and greeted us as we strolled around the grounds. The management must put them through intensive memory training courses. Anyway, if I haven't convinced you by now of the value of a stay at this palace then I am not sure the other 5 pages of notes I took will... Just go.

Room Tip: If you have the budget, stay in the Nizam's Palace Room...otherwise any of the Garden Suites are...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 September 2011

We went to the Taj Falaknuma for a special treat before leaving Hyderabad, and decided to have the English afternoon tea. The service from the moment we arrive was impeccable - I couldn't fault it apart from the fact that it did start to get a bit suffocating, but I guess that is just the different cultures.
The food was really nice, very tasty little nibbles - sandwiches, scones and whatnot. They offered to refill, and having been to The Ritz, I assumed this was included in the price - I'm afraid not, we got charged extra for some more sarnies!
The setting is amazing, really something worth seeing - it is just such a pity that it is surrounded by such poverty and suffering, I couldn't help thinking that had I known there were slums all around I might not have come, it made me very sad.
Service was great, value for money was ok, novelty value was up there - I do have a weakness for afternoon tea though, so perhaps if that's not your thing you wouldn't be so impressed.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank maee
Taj-Falaknuma-Palace, General Manager's Office at Taj Falaknuma Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2011

Reviewed 16 September 2011

This is the Nizam's property, exquisitely beautifully restored and efficiently operated.

The palace rises above the city of Hyderabd and mornings & evenings are beautiful. The breeze 'wow'.

The food is nice but quite expensive. The staff make all the effort to make you feel like Royalty. The best season to go would be Monsoon and Winters.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the lawns and pool are very nice.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank JayVas
Taj-Falaknuma-Palace, General Manager's Office at Taj Falaknuma Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2011

Reviewed 15 September 2011

You will feel like the maharaja of this gorgeous palace when you stay there. With only 60 rooms, it feels like you are in a semi-private retreat, a feeling amplified by its positioning on its own hill, surrounded by a palace wall, perched high above the city. At night the view of the city from the terrace is nothing less than stunning. You can't help but feel that you are surveying your kingdom--a feeling I had more than once during my stay. There is an adequate and very clean fitness facility, a lovely outdoor pool surrounded by beautiful landscaping and a charming bridge across the middle, a gorgeous jade room filled with fascinating jade pieces, an elegant game room, and a rare books library that makes a bibliophile salivate. Ask to take a palace tour and you will see the old living quarters of the maharaja's family who lived there until the mid-20th century.

The staff is so helpful--almost unbelievably so. When my camera batteries ran out during dinner, one of the butlers ran back to my room for me--not once, but twice--to get my battery charger. And the uniforms of everyone from butlers to maids to groundskeepers make them all look so very slick and professional. There was one particularly smart butler--who also happened to be the only female butler I saw--who gave me the most articulate directions at one point. I asked someone else later what kind of training they have and was told that many of them are studying hotel management at university. This is a truly top-notch staff.

Do not miss the view from the terrace--and try to catch the evening music if you can. I think it starts at 6 pm. It is hard to describe how beautiful the view is, especially against the backdrop of the palace.

This is a very special and unforgettable place.

Room Tip: There is no bad room in this luxury palace. The rooms with the front patios overlooking the city are...
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank ZukiMini

Dear Ma'am,

Reviewed 9 September 2011

"A reflection of Heaven" --- that is what Falaknuma is suppose to mean and that was what it was built to be. I had one of the most memorable 24 hours at this palace hotel. A beautifully restored palace that is just awe-inspiring. Once I stepped through the gates of the palace, i just did not want to leave the grounds. It was peaceful, tranquil and you feel like royalty without being overwhelmed.

The rooms are enormous, tastefully furnished and allow lots of natural light through the lovely floor to ceiling windows/doors that opens out into the central courtyard. A palace tour around the property led by one of the staff who was there from day one of the restoration made our stay even more memorable as you uncover the history of the rulers who lived there and hosted royalties and socialites to lavish dinners and parties. Every piece of furniture, every pillar, every book and inch and corner of the palace has a story waiting for you to discover.

The most beautiful part of the palace is the lovely terrace overlooking old Hyderabad. Looking out over the city on a clear cool morning over one of the most wonderful breakfast I've ever had...it really felt like I've tasted a slice of heaven.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Jaszy_1976
Taj-Falaknuma-Palace, General Manager's Office at Taj Falaknuma Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2011

Dear Ma'am,