“Most Beautiful Hotel in the World”

Taj Falaknuma Palace
Ranked #2 of 316 Hotels in Hyderabad
Dubai, Uae
“Most Beautiful Hotel in the World”
Reviewed 23 February 2012

This hotel was truly stunning. From the moment you enter the grounds, you are treated like Royalty. You are taken up to the hotel in a gorgeous horse-drawn carriage. This was the real palace of the 8th Nizam and is considered the Versailles of India. The staff are all very well informed of the history of the Palace and everyday they offer guided tours of the palace including to the dining room with the largest dining table in the world, seating 101 people. The rooms are super comfortable and luxurious. The terrace where you can enjoy a high tea is sublime. The food is outstanding. I would go back here over and over again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Okay, this is a special place. From what I understand, this is the Royal Guesthouse of the Nizam of Hyderabdad who now lives in London and has leased his property to the Taj group of hotels - and it shows. In the interest preserving the heritage of the property, things like discotheques are not available but you do have a great restaurant (I thought everything tasted delicious especially the little cakes the serve for breakfast), landscaped pool and lovely decor in the rooms - very elegant.

I just found the welcome a bit excessive i.e. horse-drawn carriage, guard of honor, shower of rose petals etc. I'm a little less into the bourgeois type of thing although I kinda liked the horse carriage..hmmm. I could do without it.

The interiors are...well, palacial. Beautiful and there is a genuine feeling of history about the place. The staff are very friendly, courteous and helpful and one should expect that @ USD 400 per night for the cheapest room. Obviously things are more than a few notches above your normal 5-star place so you should expect to pay more. I'd expect maintenance to be costly as well. I mean compare it to the Taj Krishna at Banjara Hills (also a good hotel) for instance and you'll see it's worth the money. Also consider that the average working girl (studio not street) in a place like Zurich charges nearly USD 400 per hour and you can see that it's really not thaaat expensive :).

The location is good situated on little hilltop 2000-feet above the city (so it's away from the pollution and you get a good view from the hotel) and bad - it takes 45 minutes to get to most places you want to go from there (side note: hotel's a cemetery after dark). It is also nearly 1.5 kilometres from the gate to the entrance of the palace itself. Not t too short a walk.

What sucked:

1. They couldn't ensure that they had good iron-boxes on hand. I tried 2 before giving up. Both were average (low quality actually) boxes that leaked when filled with water. My shirts got soaked. I loathe that kind of thing @ USD 400 per night. I expect the best damn ironing boxes on the planet @ USD 400 per night.

2. It's a palacial little jail. There's no action there and the city's not nearby. A bit of a bore. I'm not sure people will want to stay there too long. I might though - I am a regal little bore myself.

3. The glass doors in the bathrooms squeaked and scraped against the floor. This isn't the first top hotel I've been to where this happens though. I think I had a similar experience when I stayed at the Fairmont in Scottsdale, Arizona.

4. You've got to watch your step at times. The flooring has all kinds of unintended booby traps.

What was awesome:

1. Horse drawn carriage. I think a Ferrari or helicopter would've been cooler though. I'm a high tech kinda guy.

2. Great staff, service etc.

3. Fabulous decor.

4. Great feeling of history even if I would have (and still do) considered it a privilege to execute all royalty (self excluded) in the name of liberté, egalité and fraternité. A guillotine would be a nice replacement for the canons. Still a lovely place.

5. Great food. I think everything I ate tasted great. The cakes that came with breakfast were fab. And I fuss about things like that.

6. Nice large chocalate-cream-puff-biscuit (I'm sure there's a nice French word for it) + cocoa for a nightcap. :)

7. They have (or had at the time) a great deal that would be affordable to quite a few average Indian professionals i.e. USD 800 for 3 days / 2 nights including breakfast & lunch, airport transfer etc. Not too bad. INR 35,000 is quite a bit but I also know there are more than a few professionals who could afford it just to experience this place.

Overall: Very Good. It's never going to be excellent @ USD 400 per night (maybe @ USD 200 per night). That is reserved for my luxury suite on the Starship Enterprise @ XG23 5000 per night.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Freyr F
verteillac
Reviewed 12 January 2012

How can one do justice without running out of superlatives?The perfect palace experience.Setting,service,food all top of the line.Take breakfast,the continental makes the word copious seem too little,it is copious enough for a hungry elephant,the best granola and croissants better than any I have had in France-and i live there.Amongst other things worth mentioning,great evening Sufi music and incredible views from all parts.A truly sublime experience.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mikeja
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2012

Will probably among the best Palace Hotels in the world ! It has been restored under the watchful eyes of the family and hence the 15 years it took...you actually get to see and use the original furniture....you have to have a reservation to dine or to stay to enter the compound..you are escorted from the gates or a carriage depending on hat you've come for....the staff take you on a tour which you should arrange when making a reservation itself...the staff are excellent and friendly...we ate at the Italian restaurant and the food was pretty good..they have some unique cocktails too...the views of the city at night are amazing...and the Palace itself lit up is fabulous...will probably have to see it in the day sometime....a must see to understand the Nizami splendour !

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank PavRao
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 12 December 2011

My wife and I spent two nights at this amazing property. Taj Group took 16 long years to restore this palace that was bought by Nizam of Hyderabad of his brother in law, who ran into insolvency while building this palace. This hotel is poetry in the form of structure design and layout. Taj has left no stone unturned to restore the heritage property to its pristine glory. The food is great, service exceptionally good. A stay here is a feast for the body, mind and soul.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent. The ones facing courtyard are the best.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Hyderabad
Reviewed 29 November 2011

I had made a reservation for my anniversary dinner at Gol Bungalow approx. 2 weeks before the actual day. I was promised by sales staff that I will be sent a menu that I could select from and a confirmation email. After a week and couple of reminders I got a confirmation email but no food selection menu! After couple more reminders about menu, I just gave it up! Then I thought to myself I will just do ale carte itself.

After an hour drive we reached Falaknuma (thankfully I was in the back seat and not on the driver’s) recommend strongly that you take your driver along and take the Mehdipattnam route and not Old city one..

All our tiredness was gone the moment we hit the Falaknuma security entrance. Security checked if we had reservation which we did. We reached the restaurant post the golf cart ride and little walking. And there was our next surprise we were reserved for Celeste (Italian food) and not Gol Bungalow now that got me pissed for sure. We were not given a table reservation at Adaa as my daughter is 1.5 years and they don’t allow children under 12 years so the Sales person had recommended that we go ahead with Gol Bungalow and they will serve Indian food.

The staff however was quick to make up for the goof up and we were recommended that they will work out a chef special dinner. The food was excellent and service at the venue impeccable.

The starters had lasooni tikka, dahi ke kabab, pathar ka ghosth and paneer. Main course had one chicken dish, saag paneer, yellow dal and gobi with breads and Mutton biryani . All food was mouthwatering! The dessert plate at the end was very average though! They were very sweet to bring a small anniversary cake for us and even watched our daughter while my wife and I had dinner. Even the chef walked out and checked with us if food was fine and we said it is not just fine but just fantastic!

I think Falaknuma is not just a dinner place as it will be difficult to justify 6k charge (tips extra) for two people just for dinner without drinks, but more of an experience! Ala carte could be cheaper but I didn’t want to break my head and wanted to get served the best, as it was a surprise anniversary dinner for my wife and daughter.

Overall, I think apart from Sales staff goof up (which took me half an hour to settle down of the two hours spent) everything worked well for us. 4/5 because of this and the sorry dessert platter, anything less than that will be too strict on them. They apologized again for the confusion at the end while we were leaving. Would love to go back again for food or a short stay!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank molsan
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed 23 November 2011

Its one of the must visit hotels!! particularly if you happen to be in india. hats off to Taj group for restoring its original glory ( i believe it took 14 years to do that) and giving an opportunity to people to live like a "Nizam" ( the last Nizam of hyd was the world's richest person at that time).. from the moment you enter the gates and as you drive up and enter the main entrance you realise that you're in a special place. this palace hotels is the home to world's longest banquet table ( which can seat 101 persons)! While the hardware itself is praise worthy what really adds sheen to it is the staff and the service levels.. the staff makes you feel like and treat you like royalty. i have only been there to have lunch on their 1st anniversary.. but i can vouch for the outstanding nature of this place.!!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family