“An amazing experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 70 Hotels in Visakhapatnam
Delhi
“An amazing experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2012

I often travel to Visakhapatnam on business and have been frequenting the city for the last year or so. I have experienced most of the hotels in the city (as I like to check out the varied options that a city has to offer). This time around, i decided to stay at The Park hotel. Stayed there for 5 days. It was an experience that was unparalleled. This hotel had a definite character to it. Very friendly and welcoming staff, made me feel as if I belonged there. I was given a room with a fantastic view of the ocean. The view from the room is picture perfect. Green of the landscapped lawns, yellow sands, blue of the sea merging into the blue sky, with a few palm trees swaying in the breeze adding to the finishing touch. Add to that the ships anchored not so very far away. This is actually the only hotel situated on the beach with an access to the sea. None of the other hotels in town provide this. I experienced sunrise early in the morning without even getting up from the bed. The food ~ well I was actually surprised at the options that I could choose from. Each of the hotel's restaurants was an experience in itself. The coffee shop Vista, had an amazing breakfast spread, and offered a menu which had a fair variety of Western cuisine. And the view from the restaurant, well "amazing" once again. Bamboo Bay restaurant with a shack on the beach was really a stress buster in the evening. The Indian fair was really comendable but just imagine sitting just 50 yards from the sea water line under a beach shack and gorging on grills and roasts. Suuuppperrrbbbb !!!! After a long hard stressfull and tiring day, one really needs to find a place quite and serene with the sound of the waves to keep you company. And the shack became a favourite. The hotel has a poolside restaurant also named Aqua. I found myself one evening trying out the Pizzas that they were serving out from the oven on display over there. One can actually see a pizzaa being made out of a wood fired oven. One of the Managers came over seeing my interest and informed me that this particular restaurant by the poolside served a total Italian fare. I could see lots of foreigners sitting there having their wines and enjoying there food.The hotel also has a very cosy bar called Someplace Else. Great music and warm ambience. I noticed lot of recreation facilities in the hotel. On detailed enquiry, I was told that one could choose between a game of croquet on the lawns, table tennis, tennis, beach volleyball. There is a giant chess board on the lawns. Mistaking it just as a display, I was pleasantly surprised to see people actually playing a game of chess over a few drinks. The pool is neat and clean, and attached to it is a great gym. At the end of my 5 days, i realised that i spent more time in the neatly maintained open beach side areas of the hotel than my room. With a fantastic experience like this there is no room for complaint. The hotel actually offers an experience in totallity which is total value for money. And the hotel is priced reasonable for a 5 star. Surely my home henceforth during all my visits to Vishagapatnam in future.

Room Tip: my room was on the third floor. The hotel has all its rooms facing towards the sea, so i guess all i...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Shawn D
AjitGarcha, General Manager at The Park Visakhapatnam, responded to this review, 12 December 2012
Dear Shawn D,

Thank you so very much for a wonderful review of The Park, Visakhapatnam, we are thriilled that you had a memorable stay with us.

We thank you for a detailed feedback of our facilities, we provide only the best amenities and we like to think that we have everything you need to make your stay comfortable with us. Aqua is our poolside al fresco Italian cuisine restaurant and we make the best wood fired thin crust pizzas on the east coast. Shack is one of a kind place to dine in Visakhapatnam and is very popular with hotel guests and locals alike, it serves fresh roasts and grills.

We look forward to welcoming you back to your Visakhapatnam, if there is anything please feel free to contact me directly at agarcha@theparkhotels.com.

Executive Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Hyderabad, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2012

Had been to Park recently for the Gandhi Jayanti Weekend with another couple. Following are the summary of the experience:

1. Welcome : Pretty cold is the word. No welcome drink, No "smile" on the receptionists face, Pretty impersonal. We had booked two rooms , there is no way of choosing your room preference of "sea view" while booking, hence we did not choose any preference. The receptionist was pretty curt in telling us that she can give only one sea facing room ( for which we need to wait till 12 , till the guests check out) .The other room which she gave immediately had no king of view ( room no. 222) Finally , we got the sea facing room (408) around 1230 . I would rate 3/5 on the welcome .

2. Rooms : The sea facing room was very good , the view was excellent, room size was ok for two ( check out picture below) ,decor was taste full, the TV was high end 42" interactive LED .Bathrooms were good but did not have bath tub , which is ok for us. The basin was choking and it was repaired within minutes. I would rate 5/5 for a sea facing room #408, 3/5 for non sea facing #222.

3. Facilities: From, a lovely swimming pool, to gym, spa,library/lounge,recreational sports such as Tennis, beach volleyball and Table tennis , 3 restaurants , discotheque , shack on the beach and a Private Beach , The Park has everything you could wish for . The facilities are well maintained too and here is where the "5 Star" flavor comes in. A big 5/5 on the facilities.

4. The Beach : This deserves a special mention as The Park is essentially a beachfront resort and the beach is a major tourist attraction in Vizag. The Park does have a portion of the beachfront reserved for it.Proper security is placed at the gate of the enclosed portion to regulate and warn tourists venturing out in the Sea of not trying to swim .Yes, Swimming is a big no no here as the entire beach in front of the hotel is rocky with dangerous waves. None the less, this also ensures that there is no outside crowd on the beach in front of the hotel and is idyllic for guests who just want to lie down on a hammock or a beach chair and enjoy the view.
IHMO, the presence of rocks in front of the Park beach is actually a boon for the guests! If you seriously want to swim, you can walk down to the main Ramakrishna beach which is less than a Km away. The gate to the beachfront closes at 8PM which is a bit absurd considering the private security guards of the hotel always keep an eye on whats going on in the beach. 4/5 on the beach.

5. The Food: The park has 2 restaurants and one shack on the beach. The main restaurant on the ground floor of the main block serves an elaborate Lunch buffet and a pretty good dinner spread. The Shack is more interesting and this is where they have the grill. Although a bit expensive, you can have exotic sea food grilled to perfection along with a variety of drinks .The variety of food that they serve in The Shack is amazing. Food is definitely a strength of Park and a lot of people staying in other hotels throng this place for lunch / dinner. My recommendation would be the shack in the evening .

To sum up: Well , the Park is definitely the best alternative to stay in Vizag for those who want a quiet retreat amidst the sea and nature . It is cheaper than the other 5 stars like Taj or the Novotel , is located slightly away from the main beach hustle and bustle, has all the facilities and the distinctive feel of staying in a upmarket place.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank Saaicon
AjitGarcha, General Manager at The Park Visakhapatnam, responded to this review, 10 October 2012
Dear Saaicon,

Your feedback regarding the arrival and welcome has been noted, we apologise for a not so warm welcome accorded to you and your guests.

We thank you for a detailed feedback of our facilities, we provide only the best amenities and we like to think that we have everything you need to make your stay comfortable with us. Shack indeed is one of a kind place to dine in Visakhapatnam and is very popular with hotel guests and locals alike.

Mumbai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

After days of web surfing to find a good weekend destination from Bhubaneswar/ Bhubaneshwar, I finalized Vizag/ Vishakhapatnam/ Visakhapatnam basis recommendation from office colleagues. I realized that
How to reach: By road it is 450 kms from Bhubaneswar and the road is supposed to be superb since entire way is NH5 viz part of Golden Quadrilateral. Other option is train and takes 7-8 hours. Prasanthi Express is best option both ways considering the hotel check-in timings (12 noon).
About the Hotel: The Park is the best hotel you can get especially for the price. I got a deal of Rs5300 per night inclusive of breakfast on Travelguru.com. The property has a very good location on Beach Road where most good hotels are, Submarine (must see since it is a real one) is walking distance, there are huge well maintained lawns in hotel, all rooms overlook the sea, the hotel has a private beach, service is very good.

Below are pros and cons of the hotel:
Pros:
• View from room is a combination of lawns followed by sea
• Apt room size for family of 3
• Pricing is reasonable
• Private Beach is there right next to the lawns
• Service is excellent- i got food customized for my 2 year old son very promptly
• There is Chess, lawn tennis, table tennis, swimming pool, gym, spa
• Very close to YUDA park
• Close to Kailaisgiri cable car
• Hotel has 4 restaurants- Multi cuisine, South Indian, Pool side cafe & Beach side shack
Cons:
• Bathroom of standard room is very small so choose the luxury room
• No ventilation in the bathroom
• Food & buffet spread is average
• Food is expensive compared to other similar hotels. Buffet dinner is Rs900 and a coke costs Rs200. In Novotel the buffet costs Rs700

Must do in Vizag:
• Spend time on hotel’s private beach
• Yerada beach is a must visit and takes around 1 hour to go. It is 30 kms away.
• Submarine
• Rushikonda beach- the road to that place has amazing views

Tip: Hire a car for a day. I got one after searching from Just Dial and got a car for Rs1200 (AC Logan) for 8 hours/80 kms. Extra mileage at Rs10/km. Also note, going to any hill like Kailasgiri, way to Yerada etc you have to pay Rs100/200 per hill extra.

Room Tip: Room advice: Take a room on 4th floor with best views- Mine was 405
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank guptarohan
Dear Guptarohan,

Thank you so very much for a wonderful review of The Park, Visakhapatnam, we are thrilled that you had a memorable stay with us.

My team joins me in thanking you for choosing us and sharing your wonderful views about us on tripadvisor.com.

We eagerly look forward to seeing you again soon. If there is anything that I can do for you please feel free to write to me at agarcha@theparkotels.com

Rourkela
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

If you are travelling to Vishakhapatnam for a holiday then this is the place to be in the star category. We had 1 room and 1 suite among 2 families for 2 nights. Service was good, breakfast was just ok but the restaurant where serve it is very nicely done with glass walls and a 300 degree view of the pool and garden. We were lucky enough as the hotel had organised a beach party with dj with Akbar Sami on the same night when we were there and we did party hard. The sit-out & library, the garden and overall feel is very holiday resort like with an added advantage of the location which is very close to the city. The beach is nice but rocky and one can not swim in it. Though the hut by the beach is a great place to sit and enjoy the breeze with great drinks and some excellent western and barbecue food. Did not have an opportunity to try out the other eateries.
Now the low points- the age of hotel shows at places like the corridors, staircase in some places in the rooms as well (especially the suite) and they really need to shut and shift their disc for 2 reasons - one it really needs to be redone and the people in the room below it cant sleep. The negatives i guess (and as per the opinion of my architect co-traveller) are not something that can not be taken care of by a minor renovation. That and few extra's could bring back the Park back to No.1 on tripadvisor and we would love to see that.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank VikasGolchha
Dear VikasGolchha,

The Park hotel is a very special place in Visakhapatnam. We are pleased to note that you had a comfortable stay with us and enjoyed your time with us at the hotel.

Once again thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, and posting a detailed review of our facilites on tripadvisor.

Please do not hesitate to contact us or me personally at agarcha@theparkhotels.com if we can be of any assistance at any time.

Best Regards

Calcutta, West Bengal, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

I, Sanjoy Dasgupta and my wife travelled to Vizag on 15th July for a holiday tour. We booked the Sun & Sea Package of The Park i.e. 3N/4D package. Since arriving at the airport we were received by Innova car which took us to The Park. It was our first visit to Vizag. The hospitality, food, ambience is excellent. After entering the room we were greeted by a personal letter from the General manager Mr. Ajit Garcha which really touched us. The staff members were very courteous. We were allotted Room No 405 which was a sea facing room at the top floor. One can have straight and direct view of the sea. I must say that location wise this is the best property in Vizag. Regarding food, one must have a taste Chicken Ala Kiev and Chocolate Mud Pie which are signature dishes of the hotel. We have food in all the 3 nos restaurants and the food in all of them was excellent. The swimming pool is very clean and the spa was energizing. We travelled to Araku Valley and stayed there for 1 day and the hotel arranged us the car. On our return from Araku to Vizag, we book a Delux Sea Facing Room. We were allotted Room No 401. Entering the room, we were thrilled and exited. It was a huge Suite. I just could not believe it. We could not have expected anything better. This gesture from The Park, I will remember till the end of my life. On 20th July 2012 we departed and we were provided with a drop at the airport. Great Experience. We thank all the staff members of The Park and hope to get back to you at the earliest.

Room Tip: Select sea facing rooms on the top floor starting with 401 to 408
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Sanjoydasgupta
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

I have traveled to this property of Park twice now. Each time I was amazed by their great service, food and ambiance.

I also love their private beachfront a lot. This hotel helps me to unwind with complete peace of mind. I can visit Vizag to stay in this property itself. Highly recommended.

Rooms - Excellent
Food - Excellent
Location - Excellent
Service - Excellent

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AjitGarcha, General Manager at The Park Visakhapatnam, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
September 7, 2012

Dear Kinnar S,

Thank you so very much for a wonderful review of The Park, Visakhapatnam, we are thrilled that you had a memorable stay with us each time you visit us.

Riese Pio X, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

I stay here in october for a simposyum for 3 days.
Nice place and position,but no access at the sea for dangerous waves and submerged rock.
The room are nice,a bit old but nice with all the necessary amenities.The sleep was amazing,no noise,silent and really relaxing.Reception are too small for this kind of structure and sometimes check in and out take too much time.Nice restaurant with a good choice.
The swimming pool is too small and mus be repaired.The restaurant with a swimming pool view is very nice.
Experience to repeat.Good for business meeting.Not good for who is looking for sun,sea and beach life.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business