“Disgusting room - beware!”
Review of Hotel City Plaza 7

Hotel City Plaza 7
Ranked #54 of 100 Hotels in Chandigarh
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Disgusting room - beware!”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

A few important things to mention:
I booked this place ahead of time over email - I learned later that this not a good idea when budget traveling in India. Shop around and take the best rate. I didn't negotiate with them and as such I was charged too much.
I booked ahead for a taxi pickup at the train station. They promised 500 rupees ( a steep price) and then wanted 600 when I arrived at the hotel.

The room itself was the worst room I've ever seen in my life. The only reason I stayed is because I arrived in Chandigarh late at night and had no alternative. The bathroom had a nasty PVC pipe which drained gunky black liquid onto the floor. The lightbulbs were flickering and half were broken ( a very dark room) with no windows for natural light. The glass tabletop was shattered so shards of glass protruded from the frame. Oh, and there was a swarm of gnats in the bathroom.
To reiterate: this is the worst room I've seen in Asia or anywhere else. I never fully voiced my complaints to the management (they didn't fully speak English) but I solo-traveled in India for three weeks and never again saw a hotel with this level of carelessness and unpleasantness.

The one positive aspect: this hotel is across the street from the small LeCorbusier Center. Still, stay in 17!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank 629john_9876

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 17 July 2013

In 2012, we traveled in India for 3 months from Gujurat to Ladakh to Sikkim. We visited many places and stayed in perhaps 25 different hotels, some of which so crappy we were relieved to leave the next day (or sometimes actually turned away and didn't stay at all), some so beautiful and welcoming we had lots of regrets leaving them behind when the time would come to move to a new destination.
Our budget was about 2000 Rs per night, and we were usually booking places on internet one or two days prior to arrival.

We arrived in Chandigarh by a morning train and had a rickshaw drop us a the hotel city plaza. At first, we couldn't believe him: there was a sign, and a row of closed shops, nothing that looked like a hotel.

It turned out he was right though, as there was a simple house door with a stairs, and on the first floor indeed a small hotel reception. The room that we were shown was dark (no window), damp and overall not at all welcoming. We turned back and stayed at the City Heart (more expensive though, but certainly worth the 1000 Rs or so price difference in our view).

Room Tip: Chose another hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Chandigarh hotels

Mysore
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Decent accomodation. The rooms are clean and well furnished. Good location. Near to both railway station and airport (easy to get auto rickshaws).
The hotel is worth the money paid. We were given extra beds (as paid for) on time.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

Pune
Reviewed 15 May 2013

We just stayed for one night.
Good points - location is nearer to railway station. Many hotels nearby so having dinner was not a problem.

Bad points - There were mosquito in room. Room appearance was just about ok.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Reviewed 28 April 2013

The hotel is close to many restaurants which is probably the only reason I rate this hotel as average. No windows in the deluxe room and hence the air is a bit stale. There was an AC which went on and off several times during the night. The room is good enough if you plan to just sleep here and spend the rest of the time outside. Maybe you cannot expect much anyway for the price (I paid Rs.1400 for a night).

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Panipat, Haryana, India
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Nice hotel with good facilities. Location is the advantage. Room was good and so was the service.
Very good staff, available for any kind of request. Overall I can say that my stay was a pleasant one.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
India
Reviewed 15 April 2013

When they asked me to pay the whole amount upfront just to book, I should have known something was amiss. The "hotel" is a little hole in wall, amidst a whole bunch of shops and with no lift, you have to climb a bunch of dingy stairs to reach it on the second floor, above some travel agency! If that wasn't enough, the hotel had no windows and all the linen was being changed at the reception! The room itself was poorly furnished, in terrible condition and had tiles lining the wall like a bathroom! All in all, a really dreary stay!

On our way back, we stayed at Corporate Inn, a much MUCH better hotel. This time, we didn't pay a paisa to book and was so much cheaper than "hotel" Ctiy Plaza!

Room Tip: Dont choose a room here
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family