“Decent hotel with decent facilities” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shivalik View

Shivalik View
Ranked #16 of 98 Hotels in Chandigarh
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Decent hotel with decent facilities”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2011

I got a decent room. However, the building itself was in renovation and it was rainy season. The best part of the hotel is the beautiful view from the restaurant. Great amazing view and good quality food also. The rooms were pretty old, but I assume they would have been renovated by now and should be looking new now.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Minneapolis
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2011

We got fairly nice rooms. The hotel is nothing exceptional but well located and offered a good price. They also offered free buffet lunch and dinner which was fine but the restaurant wasn't very clean and kind of dated. Otherwise it was nice and the staff were helpful. One thing I did not like was that I had booked airport pickup and they never showed up, nit sure why.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Broomfield, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

Frankly speaking, this is one of the worst hotels in its category. I stayed in the hotel for just one night and I was glad it wasn't any more than that. While my check in was okay, the issues began just post that.
I was travelling with a kid and family and was given a smoking room i.e. smoking floor. As soon as I entered the room, it was smelling of cigerrette and I requested that my room be changed. It took about 30 mins from the time a new room was allocated to me shifting into the room. The walls jut outside the new room were worn down and I was told that the hotel was under renovation.

The room itself was spacious, but the bathroom was dirty !
The complimentary Dinner was average, and had it not been for time , we would have opted for Ala' Carte.

The checkout part in the morning was the most terrible. I called for a checkout , and after a few more calls, a walk to the reception and about 45 minutes later, I had the porter come in to take off my luggage. There were no apologies or even a hint that that they were sorry for the inconvieninece, I would have done it myself , had I found a trolley.

The overall staff was unfriendly and seemed uninterested. I would not stay in this hotel ever again.

Room Tip: Please avoid !!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Desichap

Travellers are raving about these Chandigarh hotels

Leigh, Greater Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2011

I had a really pleasant stay here. The staff were friendly and helpful, my room was big and comfortable and the hotel is really well situated, a couple of minutes walk away from the plaza in S17. The hotel is actually rather glam in a 70's Bollywood way - think the sort of hotel that featured in films like Don.

Breakfasts were good - I live in a part of England where we don;t get uttapam on a menu very often so it was great to get them as part of the breakfast buffet here - but it would have been nice to have a bit more variety in the evening. The naan, roti and parathas that the hotel makes are excellent though! My bed was incredibly comfortable and I slept like a log.

The day-to-day cleaning of my room was fine, and the maid who took care of my room was as friendly and helpful as all the other staff, but there' maybe a need for "spring cleaning" more often while the refurbishment is in progress?

My room had a lovely new big flat screen TV, with a good range of channels, but the reception could be a bit hit and miss. Not a big problem, but something to bear in mind.

The hotel does have a business centre, with computers, fax, printer and, I think, scanner. There's also an excellent fast wi-fi connection, Rs 100 for an hour or 300 for a day. I wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
expat in Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2011

too expensive for what you get.
good point: size of the rooms
bad points: unfriendly and inefficient staff, poor isolation, poor breakfast, no business facilities, hotel under renovation (but not advertised so). Clearly .... not enough competition at chandigarh!!!
it is own by the goverment and ... it shows (in all bad senses)

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank misskeika
Jerusalem, Israel
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

My husband and I were looking for a simple but nice, clean hotel in Chandigarh just for 1 night. Shivalik View was one of the available (not much hotels were available at that period because of Diwali festival). Obviously I checked the reviews of this hotel here in TripAdvisor. The overall rate was 3.5. Checked the reviews - saw both good and bad reviews. As we didnt have much choice - we booked a room. It cost 110$ per night for a standard room! Once we reached the hotel - we got a shock!!!!!!! We entered the room and just couldn't even sit on the bed! Everything was so old, stinky and disgusting, toilet flush was not working! The bed was so hard! The bed cover was so old that we just couldnt touch it! We were sooo disappointed! This is what we get for 110$ ???????? We just left the hotel and went out to spend time, just not to be in that room. We arrived to room by evening, and once entered the room, I just blasted! Went to the reception and told that I am not ready to stay in that room. They told that they will see what can be done.; After 10 mins they came and told that they shift us to another room. The other room was not the standart room we paid for, it looked better, but still NOT WORTH THE MONEY!!!!!!!!! Next day we checked out and were very happy to leave that hotel. While checking out I filled the feedback - I hope the manager of the hotel will read that. Ah, forgot to tell that big renovation is going on there and everywhere is dusty and noisy! AWFUL PLACE!!! Will never ever think to go back there! WASTE OF MONEY!!! Just 1 positive point - food was pretty good.

Room Tip: Dont go to that hotel if u dont want to get disappointed and waste money
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank yamka
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

Certainly the location of hotel is a plus, in the city centre. Room was amazingly big and fairly clean. We could have a free upgrade and extra bed at a reasonable charge. Reception staff was very friendly. Food was average. Staff was kind enough to prepare food specially for our family after our late return in the night - tasty sandwitches!! I really liked the roof top restaurant ambiance.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family