“Amazing”

White Sands National Monument
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Alamogordo
More attraction details
Owner description: Visitors to this endless waterless sea can enjoy driving, hiking, visiting a museum and sledding down the huge dunes.
Reviewed 11 April 2012

An absolute wonder!!! You must visit the White Sands when traveling in New Mexico!!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,186)

Reviewed 11 April 2012

I went on a road trip to get Roswell off my life list. I had heard of White Sands, but it hadn't made an big impression so I added a quick stop on our way back to Phoenix. I am way glad I did! Just spectacular. The thing that I kept thinking is there wasn't anywhere I have been that White Sands reminded me of. Definitely take the time to hike to the top of a dune to get the full effect.

Reviewed 9 April 2012

Kids loved the visit and we had a great time! We will go back!

Reviewed 6 April 2012

I've hiked in deserts, dunes and salt flats before but this is something really different -- a large sea of pure white sand dunes without cactus, flora or fauna. Gives you the ability to ride a car right out into the dunes with lots of potential for privacy. Interesting point-to-point (orange marker to orange market) hiking opportunity fior those so inclined. Watch for kids (and adults) sledding down the dunes on plastic sheets. It can get hot here, and the sun really beats off the sand, so water and proper sun screen is a must.

1  Thank Rocket58
Reviewed 6 April 2012

lots of really white sand and no water. the museum is a must before you drive through this enchanting place. the guide booklet given to you as you enter is very good. Get out of the car and climb to the top of a dune and see the more and more white sand and beautiful mountains in the distance.