“Beautiful empty spaces”

White Sands National Monument
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Alamogordo
More attraction details
Owner description: Visitors to this endless waterless sea can enjoy driving, hiking, visiting a museum and sledding down the huge dunes.
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We bought sleds at the shop when we came in- you could "rent them" for $12 for an adult sled and $10 for a kid sled, or just buy them for $17/$15 respectively, we thought that was a better deal. We also bought a sled wax chunk for $.75. There are so many beautiful, soft, white dunes out there that we were able to find our own and not see anyone else for miles around as we sled down them. They have some kind of cool retro aluminum shelters over picnic tables where we ate the lunch we brought and stayed out of the sun and sand. The only trail we did was the boardwalk trail, which was anyone accessible and the shortest hike. I'm sure some of the longer ones might have been better. We also didn't watch the movie or visit the museum, as we wanted to get out to the dunes before it got too hot. We'd been warned the sand could get very hot, but I guess we lucked out or got there early enough (we were there from about 9:30am-12pm), the sand was nice and cool and we were able to sled barefoot in August. Totally worth doing for the views at the top of the dunes alone.

There are newer reviews for White Sands National Monument

Reviewed 27 August 2014

Visited White Sands National Monument in August of 2014. The park is very basic and not really a whole lot to do but it is worth visiting just to say you have seen it. I will say it is truly a spectacle. I drove around the park and checked out the various types of dunes. Also did the hike at the north end of the park. This park is very clean and well kept. The visitor center was nice and the park ranger at the desk was very friendly. This was kinda an out of the way drive for myself because I was staying in Carlsbad, but like I said it was worth checking out just to say you did it!

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Unfortunately, we were only here for about an hour. I would have liked to have had all day. You should definitely rent a sled in the gift shop. I didn't do it and had serious regrets.

2  Thank wcucarter
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

We went walking at evening in a guided tour then stayed to walk thecomin desert at night. Watch the weather. It's not always cooperative and check their website before coming. If there's a missile test then forget it. The park and sometimes the entire HWY 70 will close and nobody goes anywhere for the day.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

White sands is so cool I went twice! I was there for sunset and just a bit after sunrise, these are the times to go because less crowded and you get to see the beautiful change of color with the sands. If you go, please pick up after yourself, some people left plastic and bottle caps. Walk barefoot great feeling!

1  Thank Elizabeth S