“Knowledgeable and Friendly!”

McGinn's PistachioLand
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: PistachioLand- Home of the World's Largest Pistachio, Pistachio Tree Ranch & Arena Blanca Winery -is owned and operated by the McGinn Family and is home to 12,300 trees and 6,000 wine producing grapevines. The original trees were planted in 1980 and the first nuts were harvested in 1984. Today, Pistachio Tree Ranch is a fully integrated farm where the McGinn Family grows pistachios, makes pistachio candy and packages pistachio products sold on their farm and around the United States. Arena Blanca Winery features the McGinn Family's wines produced on the farm from grapes grown in their vineyard. The World's Largest Pistachio monument was finished in 2008 and was built as a tribute to Tom McGinn, whose vision was to grow pistachios in the New Mexico desert. It stands 30 feet tall and has been featured in New Mexico Magazine, National Geographic Traveler, and Parade Magazine. It was filmed in 2010 in the movie, "This Must Be The Place," and on the History Channel's "Only in America" with Larry the Cable Guy in December 2012. Named a New Mexico Treasure by the NM Cabinet Secretary of Tourism, June 2014, on New Mexico Television episode 3. Visit the farm and winery year around, open daily. Motorized Farm Tours Daily. Call ahead for groups larger than 6 people. Weather permitting.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase
Valdosta, Georgia
“Knowledgeable and Friendly!”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I love sampling the wine and different flavor pistachios. An unscheduled but lovely discovery, I wish I had more time to take the tour.

Visited August 2014
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Hobbs, New Mexico, United States
“Awesome place!”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

My Husband and our three young boys stopped because of the HUGE pistachio statue. We also love pistachios! We were so glad we did! We got to taste pistachios, shop in their great gift shop and the best???? The tour! James was our guide and he was fabulous! We toured the pistachio and wine farm... Very informative and funny. One of the highlights of our trip!! We will for sure be going back!

Visited August 2014
Clarissa1970_13, Owner at McGinn's PistachioLand, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you for visiting our farm. At this time of year, we are beginning harvest and it is possible to see our pistachio harvesters at work shaking the pistachio nuts from the trees. As you mentioned, James is a terrific tour guide and shows our guests the orchards and vineyards and explains our family farm history. We hope you have the chance to visit again. We expect to have more exciting additions to our farm in the near future.
Fort Worth, Texas
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Go see the world's largest pistachio”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We went to McGinn's on a whim on the way back to Riudoso. They had every sort of flavored pistachio that you could taste. My favorite was the garlic. The tour was informative and James was an excellent guide. He took the time to answer all our questions. I'll go back home knowing more than I did before I left.

Moscow, Russia
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“It was neat when I was new here”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

If you like the over priced nut and have ever wondered where it comes from or how it grows then stop in this place or the one just down the road. I do think the new mexico variety has a better taste than the CA variety. The wines are good but again over priced as most tourist things are. Buy some of the sweets in the shop they are all great but I love the spicy brittle.

Visited September 2013
Odessa, Texas
“Alamogordo, New Mexico”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

The tour of the orchard was short but very informative. I enjoyed listening to James, our tour guide. This place also has wine tasting. We tried their sweet wines and we ended up buying a couple of bottles. it is the home of the largest Pistachio which is in the Guinness book of world records. I particularly enjoyed the different flavored Pistachios. They had a table set up for free tasting. If you like visiting very laid back places, this place is a must see. There are also other attractions nearby.

Visited July 2014