“Great place to meet fellow travellers”

Hotel Sao Tome Retiro
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Diu
Hotel Sao Tome Retiro
Ranked #15 of 28 Diu B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 February 2013

Quirky India at its best - unusual rooms in the side of a disused church now a museum, has a wonderful balcony just below the church roof level where fellow travellers congregate and swap tales. Ascend a little higher and you can see the best views in Diu from the very top of the barrel vaulted roof. When enough people around, owners do an excellent fish barbecue meal on alternate evenings.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 14 January 2013 via mobile

We choose this place because it sounded like neat place plus promised Wifi AND every other day BBQ. Yes it could be a charming place, nothing a little elbow grease and more personable staff couldn't fix. The bathroom was filthy and the towels reeked and sheet was suspect. The wifi wasn't working and all we got from Isabel, who's in charge since George the owner is away, is giggles. At 700 Rs was way overpriced. Skip this one, there are better choices in town.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Gieg
Reviewed 17 December 2012

Some reviews have knocked this place, which I think is unfair. It is budget accommodation at its best, and with the unique twist of being a converted church!

You will not find better views anywhere on the island than you get from the rooftop. There is a full 360 panorama of Diu from there and it is an amazing suntrap.

It's a bit old (it is a church) and therefore there's some quirks to the place and it's rather scruffy but that's all part of the charm. That said the bed was comfortable, the door locked and the people I met were great.

Highly recommended if you want something cheap, relaxing and different.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 August 2012

The building (former Catholic church) is superb and that is only thing to recommend about this hotel.
The sign in the room saying that management of hotel is not responsible in case the valuables disappear should be taken very seriously. Last day of mu stay there I left the money purse in my room. As the doors were secured with my own lock and I was going to the other part of island and to the beach, I thought that risk will be lower if I do not carry all of the money with me. Wrong! That night I discovered that few thousand rupees and couple of hundred euros were missing. I was the only guest in hotel and apart from me there was only owner and his family. As there was warning on the wall and there was no way to prove anything and left with very, very bitter taste in my mouth.
Strongly not recommended.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Davor V
Reviewed 14 March 2012

The rooms are in an old church which is a very cool idea. You can get to the roof top and enjoy the view. I shared a room with four friends and thus the price was ok. The room was tidy but very basic, but the toilet could've been nicer. At least it was clean enough. The legendary bbq-night was a disappointment and not worth it. Go down the hill towards the beach and you'll find a very cosy restaurant on the right side of the road (can't remember the name of it). The food was very nice and cheap there. For a backpacker for a few night this is a good hotel. Staying in a church is always a good anecdote.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank SonjaElla
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Ok this guy charges 550 Rupees for a small, dirty, basic room at rooftop level without bathroom. Two people arrived at one point and due to it being holiday season all the hotels in town were booked and he charged them 200 Rupees EACH to sleep on the roof. That's 400 Rupees and not even have a room!
Sorry but I think that's really greedy and unpleasant to take advantage of people in this way. 400 Rupees in most budget hotels in India (other than the big cities) will get you a room (sometimes a nice room!) with attached bath. And when we stayed there the shared bathrooms were really dirty and being used by too many people so you often had to wait long periods of time. We moved as soon as we could to another, much better value hotel where we had a huge, clean, airy and bright room with attached bath for 500 Rupees. I wouldn't want to give any more money to someone who takes advantage of people in this way. Avoid.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Polpessa
Reviewed 7 December 2011

We were a bunch of seven guys who stayed at the hotel for a weekend. We took a couple of joined rooms and the place ended up being very economical for us.

The facilities are basic but the place is clean. Its an old church converted into a museum and partly into a hotel, and that's what got me so interested in the place. You can climb up on the roof in the nights and spend hours talking, the view from top is simple amazing.

I had a terrific time there!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends