“disappointed second visit”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Candolim
Marbella Guesthouse
Ranked #6 of 82 Candolim B&B and Inns
Calangute, India
“disappointed second visit”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

This was my second visit to the place. Sadly it was a disappointment. My first stay was excellent.
I wanted my husband to see the old Portuguese house and was excited that we had got the rajsthani suite.
The airport taxi was a fiasco. In my first visit no taxi had turned up and this time they did but a good 35 mins delayed which I didnt appreciate.
They dont supply any toiletry in the suite except a soap bar. The western doesn't have a jet / spray :(
There are a huge number of geckos there although they don't enter the room but you can hear them and see them if brave enough from the balcony.
The internet is sporadic and the TV reception is bad. We had planned to stay indoors in the sultry afternoon and just enjoy. But couldn't much do that.
The last day incident made us decide we will never come back here. We had a cab to pick us up for airport at 12:30 PM and the cleaning lady tells us at 12:10 there are guests waiting out please vacate. It really made us think how they treat the guests.
Anyways we need to figure out a new place in Goa and I guess we will find more of them.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
susansinghrarewala, Owner at Marbella Guesthouse, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
I am very sorry that you found your second visit with us disappointing! Mario who is no longer with us, forgot to call you a taxi until the last minute. That is why ypu had a long wait at the airport.
We have a new receptionist his name is sajjin.
The geckos are harmless lizards, that eat mosquitos. They are usually found all over the house and can be noisy, perhaps you did not notice them on your first visit.
The rajastani and moghul bathrooms are the only ones with no jet sprays in them, because these bathrooms have not yet been upgraded. There is a tap next to the toilet with a bucket and jug.
We provide soap which is in the bathroom and handwash. If you require shampoo or a hairdyer, it is provided by housekeeping as stated in the room brochure.
Internet is sporadic due to the unreliable broadband connection we also encounter this problem with cable tv.especially during the low season and monsoons!
Our checkout timing is at eleven am. So housekeeping can clean the room before the next guest checks in at 12 noon. As stated in our mails to guests and in all of the room brochures.
It is a shame you do not wish to return to us but I understand and I wish you well. Susan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Apart from the innumerable geckos (i am petrified of them and one didnt let me sleep as it made too much noise), my stay here was perfect. The house in itself is beautiful and i am sucker for old portugese homes and heritage buildings be it anywhere. I stayed in the Rajasthani Suite last weekend and the rooms are clean and well maintained just like a 5 star hotel room, you dont get toiletries except soap, which is just fine by me. The staff running the place are well behaved and so cordial and humble and they take care of you in every way. They have quite a menu and the food is all home cooked, so its healthy and you would want to indulge. Its in a forest environment so no traffic noices, just the sounds of nature.
You can take the back gate from the backyard and trek up to the mountain that takes you to the beach and gives you a breathtaking view of the sea. I am definitely going back again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
susansinghrarewala, Owner at Marbella Guesthouse, responded to this review, 23 September 2016
Thanks for your review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your holiday with us.
We now have shampoos, conditioners, soap toilet rolls and hairdryer is available on request too. Hope you visit us again soon.
Mumbai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

The drive-in to Marbella guesthouse is picture perfect. A quaint surrounding a midst nature gives you a feeling that you are in the middle of nowhere. A perfect getaway for anyone who is looking at Goa for their next holiday.Great Food and excellent staff!

Room Tip: We stayed at the Bougainvillea suite, its great if 4 people are going!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nahida C
susansinghrarewala, Owner at Marbella Guesthouse, responded to this review, 25 September 2016
Thanks for your review. I like to think its a good holiday place, for people who love nature as you stated, in the middle of nowhere. Actually its the last house at the top of the lane that gives you that feeling. Looking forward to seeing you next time.
Cologne, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

We spent three nights at this wonderful restored house and experienced good service, friendly staff and tasteful food. The room was very clean and our only suggestion for improvement would be to instal one or two hammocks in the wonderful courtyard.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your positive review. I will put up your hammocks at your request, but you must come back to try them out. Looking forward to your return.
Letchworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

We stayed as a family of 2 adults and 2 children for 2 weeks in the Rajastani suite this April. I went on the positive reviews in the lonely planet guide and trip advisor- and so glad I did. Marbella is a lovely picturesque, quiet, relaxed place to stay- friendly and great location for siquerim beach. The staff are very friendly, helpful and the food was great- my children loved the garden area. The Rajastani suite was wonderful- beautifully decorated in old indian style with private terrace, the room was very big and easily accommodated the 4 of us. Very good value especially as the room rate Is half price by Easter- low season. The guest house is well situated for fort Aguada road where all the main restaurants, facilities are and the quieter end of south candolim beach( sequerim beach. )
Overall if you are looking for a family friendly guest house near the beach and local amenities, and away from the hustle and bustle in other parts of north goa ( such as north candolim, Baga, Arjuna,then marbella is a great place to stay- we will go back there on our next visit!!!! Highly recommended.
Charnjit Chahal-Hertfordshire, UK

Room Tip: The Rajastani suite is very good- very large room with beautiful sunken bath and private garden terr...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thanks for your review. So happy to hear that you and your family, enjoyed your time with us. You are most welcome!
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

The guest house was pretty decent , neat and clean. Food was freshly cooked and very tasty.
It was very peaceful and relaxing. I felt the bed quality should have been better. Some of the staff were bit rude at one point of time when we asked to speed up the cooking as some of us had to leave for the airport. We were total 9 people and had booked one pent house (in which ac was not working but good part was we were compensated for that), one garden view and bognen room. Room service was very good.

Room Tip: Garden view room
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
susansinghrarewala, Owner at Marbella Guesthouse, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
I apologize for Raymond, of reservations, for not clarifying that the penthouse suite has air conditioning only in the bedroom, so the lounge divans had to be squeezed into it to accommodate everybody. I’m sure it was not too comfortable, especially when the ac stopped working in the middle of the night, even though we had just installed all new Daikin ac’s last year.
I am also sorry that the kitchen staff appeared to be a bit rude after telling them to speed up the cooking. But as we cook everything fresh, it does take a certain amount of time to prepare.
I do kindly request future guests to please announce in advance when orders need to be expedited, especially when they have to get to the airport fast. We could then suggest items that can be prepared faster.

Dian Singh Rarewala (Proprietor)
New Delhi, India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

I was impressed looking at the website and booked the hotel. It was supposed to be an old Portuguese mansion - far from it. It is nice though but not Portuguese or a mansion for that matter.

I arrive at night and grumpy fellow (Krishna) doesn't even offer to help with heavy luggage I arrived with - he was kind of drunk standing there like an old fellow wondering at what's going on. I had to haul the stuff up all on my own. I don't call it a friendly approach, leave alone calling it a service. Now, the bed was a deep disappointment - cane furniture for a bed is as worse as it gets.

The place is kept spic and span no doubt - there is no need to ask to clean the room. House keeping is proactive. Raymond is friendly and helpful but not all the staff are. Some of them behave as if they are avoiding customers or guests.

I could have chosen a hotel at a better spot - Sinquerime is not a convenient place if you want to visit other north Goa beaches.

Room Tip: Never go for Bougainville rooms (there are two of them) - if that's what they offer, just pass i...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
I was a bit surprised about this negative review and questioned my staff about it. Krishna, our night watchman, who has never been found drinking on duty, assured me that he greeted this guest with the usual courtesy, but he did have to request him to move his car, as it was blocking the parking area. On the two following nights the guest in the neighboring room was complaining about the loud TV , and Krishna had to ask him repeatedly to keep it down. This apparently didn’t go down too well.

I believe this review was written out of spite, and not to inform the public objectively. And if he had such an issue with the cane beds in the bougainvillea rooms, a closer look at our website would have clarified the situation.

Dian Singh Rarewala (Proprietor)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Candolim
Vivanta by Taj - Holiday Village, Goa
Santana Beach Resort
Santana Beach Resort
#3 of 64 in Candolim
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,638 reviews

Been to Marbella Guesthouse? Share your experiences!