“You get what you pay for”

Alor Grande Holiday Resort
Ranked #56 of 66 Hotels in Candolim
Reviewed 14 December 2008

Even allowing for the fact that I knew this accommodation was going to be basic, I was taken aback at just how basic it actually was. However, got used to that within a short time. The big problem with this place is the almost complete lack of service (and lack of willingness) by the staff. That is not something that you should have to put up with - even at a budget hotel. And if you complain to the management, no-one listens or lifts a finger to put things right. Furthermore, the quality of the food is unacceptable and should be avoided at all costs. Our conclusion was that this hotel is acceptable if you're looking for bare minimum accommodation standards and nothing else. If you want some service thrown in - don't touch this place!!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank acetravellerLondon

Reviewed 8 December 2008

I stayed with husband daughter and grandson in March 07.
Told it had been refurbed and it hadn't, as i knew it under a different name. The rooms were filthy, mouldy with a broken toilet,
and the electic sockets kept blowing. This terrifedmy grandson.
Thomas Cook refunded me nearly £400 as the hotel had not been refurbed. As only my husband and I went this year, we thought we would give it another try, as very cheap, and the pool is nice after walking back from beach.
Oh dear, as bad as ever, but a nasty sting in the tale. Husband couldn't find his mobile(turned off) one day, and we thought it would turn up, which it did. The night before we left, I noticed some papers that were in my passport holder on the floot. In the morning aswe were checking out,the phone which we had never taken out of the room had gone. As had some fun fairy wings(bought by a friend for a laugh for my birthday). We reported it to the management who couldn't care less. It was impossible to report to police as would have taken all day and we had plane to catch. They also trid to charge us for some water we didn't drink and was out of date. I have been going to Goa for 12 years and this the first problem of this nature I've had. However two seperate couples on the beach had told me that in 07 they had money stolen from hotel room.
Candolim is fab. I won't stay \here again. I can put up with the dilapidated rooms and chaos, but not theft and lack of respect.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Vivien B
Reviewed 3 December 2008

Hello all,

As it is with every hotel, some people love a hotel and rate it very high whereas some others loathe the same hotel.

We were a honeymooning couple in
February, 2008 and decided to go for Alor Grande mostly for the location (located at a good point at North Goa and accessible to most other places in the North) and also I must admit for the cost. We booked our 3 nights- 4 days trip through SOTC. It seemed to make sense to us not to go overboard on the hotel cost as we would barely spend time at the hotel and to spend also on other Goan attractions. Again, this might not hold for people who are in Goa just to laze around and spend maximum time at the hotel.

Alor Grande's USP is it's pool and the surrounding sunbathing area. We saw that the foreigners seemed to really take to the place. On the whole, we had a good stay. We took the buffet lunch and breakfast option and though the food is not worth going ga-ga over, it is decent North Indian food. The non-vegetarians may like some more variety as there was only one chicken item on the menu each day.

The tours that we got alongwith our package (a half-day tour to North Goa and another half-day tour to South Goa) left us very happy and with no complaints. We were taken to Goan attractions like the Old Goa church, a cruise on River Mandovi, the Calangute and Vagator-Anjuna beaches, the Mangeshi temple, Fort Aguada, the dolphin spotting.

The staff is friendly (maybe more to foreigners ;)) and we were taken good care of. The pick up and drop to airport was fine. We only had to really persuade the staff to give us the promised free bottle of wine :). Again, that was for kicks as we are tee totallers :)

On the whole, Alor Grande seems a good idea for its location and proximity to other places, for the accessibility (it is right on the road compared to other hotels) and for the value for money.

I hear that it is getting renovated now. Good luck to the staff !

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank scorpionbeauty
Reviewed 19 November 2008

Like most places in India it may seem a bit basic but look past this. The staff are great and nothing is too much trouble. The place is clean and a fresh lick of paint is going up most places in the hotel.

The food is good and cheap for a hotel. Try the Tandoori chicken to die for.

I had a great stay and was looked after by everyone working at the hotel as I am a single female travelling on my own. I am so impressed by the staff I am booking to go back early next year.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank sixtybeagle
Reviewed 12 June 2008

We literally had a bad experience with this Hotel. Hygienically, it was not good and the staff attitude was pathetic. The staff were very unfriendly and do not even respond. It took over an hour for some one even to give a bath soap..... Wont recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 May 2008

Visited goa last month and stayed at Alor again. Hotel is now renovated . Rooms spotless, cleaned everyday. Everyone at the hotel remember us . Food was good . Pool is quite good, seperation is made for kids . Best part of this hotel is location - just 10 Min to candolim beach by walk .

We loved our stay and will stay again

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 March 2008

We enjoyed our stay, our room was basic but we expected that. The room was cleaned everyday and we were given fresh sheets and towels. There was a/c and a fridge and we had a balcony overlooking the pool. The pool was clean and refreshing after a day sunbathing on the beach. The staff were very friendly and the location is great for the beach and the resort. Candolim was lovely, the food fantastic and so cheap.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple