“Not worth money”

The Acacia Hotel & Spa Goa
Ranked #33 of 65 Hotels in Candolim
“Not worth money”
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

I spent 5D 4N vacation at Goa with family in this hotel. We read extremely good reviews for this hotel on tripadvisor, but I must say, we were disappointed.

Pros-
The only pros I would think about this hotel is its brand new, so you get a feel good factor for what you paid for.

Locality is a little advantage, you get good restaurants, shops just outside across the street.

Cons-
- just an average property, you actually don't get a 4 star feeling, for the money you paid, especially when you talk about hospitality and facilities.

- breakfast exactly same during those 4 days. They didn't even bother to replace poori with paratha, poha etc.

- no bathrobe, hair dryer, carpet in room, which you get almost in every hotel of this level.

- toiletries never refilled during those 4 nights of stay. At the end we explicitly had to ask for it.

- my wife got a temporary tattoo and left few minor stains on the linen. They didn't even bother to try this out for cleaning and straightaway charged 2400/- on us. We were ready to pay the laundry charges but were given no option but to pay full amount. We brought the linen back home and guess what, the stains went away just with couple of home washes.

- absolutely no view, so people seeking views, go somewhere else.

- WiFi free but signal so weak that you can't even open google homepage. I had to use my 3G during my entire stay.

- no shower or changing rooms near the swimming pool. There is an open shower and a temporary curtain placed as a changing room. Who will dare to use such a changing room, that too just in front of the restaurant.

- even though the window glasses are claimed to be soundproof, this hotel is on the main road and we were hearing traffic noise almost during entire stay.

I would given them a good rating, but because of the money that they are charging, I am not all satisfied with my stay at this hotel, that too when it belongs to a good group.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
12 Thank 142kumars

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Mumbai
Reviewed 22 March 2014

For the long Holi weekend my family (wife,kid and I) chose Goa as our holiday destination. The plan was to have a long relaxing weekend, so it was important for us that we choose a luxury hotel close to the beach. On looking up on the internet we chanced upon Acacia which had just opened in January. We liked what we saw, and went ahead with the bookings. Being a new setup we probably also benefited from some low room rates averaging 4500/- Rs per night.
The overall experience at Acacia was average. In fact if our room rates had been even marginally higher, I would probably have marked the experience as poor. Things went wrong from check in itself. The room alloted to us had a malfunctioning electronic lock. It meant that the swipe card had to be changed by the staff not once but thrice. For the first two attempts we had to wait outside the door, while the staff tried to fix the problem. Interestingly some of the staff members are not very conversant either with english or with hindi. Its usually a mumbling mix of the two. Rooms are spacious, neat and tidy but some furniture items can be better designed. For example, the cupboard is a huge pain to slide open. One has to literally lift the door and then apply some serious shoulder muscle on it it to slide it across. I got the staff to do it once, because I was scared that I might break the door. Wifi is free, but in the room it's as good as not being available. I could only connect from one particular corner of my room, else the signal is extremely weak.
The food at Acacia is bad. There is no two ways about it. I tried my luck both in room service as well as the coffee shop but all servings are bland and tasteless. My guess is that they are trying to cater to European taste buds, as opposed to Indian. The breakfast buffet is an exact replica, day in day out and not at all tasty. Service is atrocious. Water will only be served if asked repeatedly. I asked for half boiled eggs for my son, they gave me a full boiled egg. I brought it to their notice, they changed it and brought another one ages later. We crack it open, and its another full boiled egg. I ask for Puri for the bhaji on my plate (It is served fresh from inside the kitchen). They forget about the order. I remind them a second time. After 15 minutes the order still does not appear. I leave the table (as I am tired of waiting) informing the waiter that I did not receive my order. He is least bothered ! For dinner, I order a risotto from the menu, few minutes later the waiter says that it cannot be provided, please order something else. I look up the pasta menu, and ask what is the difference in the three that are listed. The waiter has no clue and has to chase up the chef to understand the difference. I finally order a chicken pasta, and what I get tastes exactly like a ready made packet of Maggie pasta.
The swimming pool at the hotel is quite nice and very clean. Its also very kid friendly. My child enjoyed himself thoroughly in it. Facilities around it were also adequate, with clean showers, towels etc. Location wise also Acacia is well placed, with the beach being a leisurely five minute walk from the property. Overall the property has the potential to do well, but it really needs to pull its socks up when it comes to service and the quality of its food and beverage

Room Tip: The more expensive rooms have a small balcony
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Partha P
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 21 March 2014

A great place to stay....service was outstanding...specially Sam was a great guy who helped us through everything...he was there whenever we wanted anything....the place is right next to candolim beach...where u can just walk down...really nice rester aunts which are a must visit...
Thanks Sam...it was truly a pleasure....

• Stayed March 2014
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Good location , very good and helpful staff, very clean good pool area. Little confusion upon our check inn about extra bed but nothing so major to effect overall experience
Would definitely be returning next year same time.

• Stayed March 2014
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Hello All,

To break free from office, I casually went to Pune to meet my sister and then, suddenly, it
struck to us to goto Goa along with her 10 month old kid and my parents.
Our plan being the last minute, and that too during the Holi extended weekend, made it
extremely difficult for us to find a hotel in Goa.
Luckily for us, ACACIA had just opened in Jan-14 and rooms were available.
So, we went ahead and did the booking for 3 days. Here is my experience about the Hotel -

LOCATION: VERY GOOD
Less than 5 minutes walking from Candolim beach, this hotel is situated on the main road. Just
come out of the hotel and you can get Vehicles on rent, shops where you can bargain a lot, Spas and innumeralble eateries.

ACCOMODATION: Well, here is the Catch.
1. The hotel is certainly not as big as it looks on the Website. It has a small pool just adjacent to the 24 hrs coffee shop, which also serves as Breakfast Area.

2. At the time of booking, we had made a written request for an early check-in.
However, when we reached the hotel at around 7.30 AM, we were asked to pay INR2500 extra per room, if we wished to check in early. This is not a usual norm and we argued against this. The hotel staff then mentioned that if someone checks in after 9am, they dont charge this
amount. This was even more weird. Finally, after much discussion, they agreed to let us check
in early without any charge.

3. The hotel does not have a tap facility outside the building to wash sand laden feet if you
are coming from the beach. We had to take our dirty feet to the room everytime and then request for a floor mob.

BREAKFAST: NOT GOOD.
We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights, and out of the 4 mornings we had breakfast there, the menu was the SAME ON EACH DAY. When we pointed this out, the hotel staff told us to put a suggestion in the suggestion box. All the dishes were jsut average in taste.

WIFI: POOR
The hotel proclaims to provide free wifi, but the signal is too slow inside the rooms.
In fact, the signal was so slow, that my mobile didnt even connect to the wifi and I continued
with my Data Roaming.

FOOD: TASTY, but service not good.
First night, we decided to have some light dinner and ordered for a Khichdi in room. It was
indeed very tasty, with lots of vegetables.We liked it so much that we ordered it again on the
third night. When the food came in after 1 HOUR, we found out that the preparation was totally
different from the first night and it was not as good, with no veggies. The hotel staff came up
with a very predictable explanation that earlier we ordered Veg Khichdi and this time we
ordered plain Khichdi. This was totally insane and even in their menu, they had just one item -
Khichdi.

CHECK OUT: Horrible, Pathetic.
As I mentioned that we were travelling with an infant during a Holi holiday.
On the day of Holi, some foreigners put colors on the small baby, and my Dad, by mistake rubbed it off from the Face Towel at the Hotel.
The bed lined also got stained with a very insignificant, hardly noticable, color mark.
we were willingly ready to pay for the face towel, but the hotel staff argued that they will
charge us even for the bed linen. We told them that the mark was too weak to notice, and it
will easily come out with a small quantity of bleach.
The laundry manager didn't even try the bleach and told us that the mark will never come off.
As if this was not enough, another horrific surprise came to us when we were checking out.
Apart from INR 1000 for Bed Linen, the Hotel staff had charged us another 2200 INR for some
biscuit marks on another bed linen, which probably got there as infants have a habit of
scattering whatever they eat. These too were very light and insignificant to notice.
To my utter disgust, the Manager was not even apologetic about it, instead he just turned away
and exited the disucssion.

PRICE: We paid INR 7500 per room per night. Considering ours was a last minute plan on a Holi extended weekend, this was OK. But for a planned trip, you will certainly get much better
hotels in this Price Range.

OVERALL EXPERIENCE and SUGGESTIONS:
1. Felt very insulted when we were charged for small wet biscuit stains done by an infant.
2. Got too bored of the same breakfast for 4 consecutive days.
3. Dirty rooms all the time because of beach sand. Wifi never worked :(
4. Some staff members were very rude and unapologetic. Front Desk staff was good.
5. Location and rooms are good. View from the Balcony is not good.

If you are choosing this hotel, keep your expectations low from the hotel staff and facilities
and and certainly don't choose this if you are travelling with Kids.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank simplykhushi
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We stayed there for 5 days, being very close to the candolim beach (10 minutes walk) makes it very cool location for tourists. It was a really nice experience staying there, with the perfect staff to service you for whatever you need.
Its near to the market, near to lot of happening places in candolim.
IT'S A PLACE TO BE WHEN IN GOA.
Nice pool, amazing location.
Once thing I didnt like was just the breakfast, everything was perfect in breakfast however I would want few more chicken or non-veg items to be offered during the breakfast. I could find only chicken sausages and was dissappointed with the quality of the same. All the other food options were great. would give 4.5/5 for breakfast, -0.5 only for the chicken sausages.
Dont miss to visit the terrace at late hours, they are planning to open a terrace restro there. Its a peaceful place to be.

Room Tip: Prefer to choose the room away from the pool, the internet connectivity was bad in my room, which wa...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Jersey UK
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Four of us tried the restaurant, my OH really wanted too but we were not so bothered as it didn't look busy? We had a drink in the new bar facing.. Candolim deck.
So if not looking busy don't be out off, we had a great night.
We were allowed to choose from several menus..the staff were lovely,
We had cocktails at the Bar,
Gareth showed us the rooms which are stunning, everything about the place is stunning!!
The food was fantastic, like the title the best Chicken Tandor I have ever had..no dark red dye,
No dry chicken, cooked to perfection, hubbie had a curry, one had spaghetti bolognese, all enjoyed.
We will defiantly be back to eat, the next visit we may have to book??
When word gets out!!

Room Tip: We were not staying here, but wished we were..stunning rooms!!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends