“Has everything.....yet”

Silver Sands Holiday Village
Ranked #32 of 69 Hotels in Candolim
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We stayed in this hotel in the month of March after reading the reviews in Tripadvisor....Word of caution: All the high ratings are given by tourists from abroad whose expectation in service levels are really not that demanding...and here in comes the difference. Let me elaborate a little. We were 2 couples and we booked directly without going through any travel website. We had spoken to Mr. Peter, the hotel manager and we had specified not to put us in the annexe. We were in the hotel on the scheduled date and to our utter surprise we were directed towards the annexe only which is known as the Angara. And we anticipated what was in store for us. The rooms there although big were very shabby. There was no water or tea coffee machine in the room. Surprisingly there were no toiletries. After speaking to Peter a lot he promised to shift us to the cottages the next day. He is a good man and he kept his promises. The cottages were better though everything was basic. So please do not have high expectations in terms of services or privileges. What you will get is a decent room, some basic services but a great location and also very less Indians. The pool is nice. The breakfast is served in place opposite to the hotel. The complimentary breakfast includes bread butter jam and tea. Everything else is chargeable. The location is great and hence you will get a lot of restaurants in and around. Just on the crossing you have a great departmental store which will help you get all the necessary stuff including water, alcohol and all other essential items. You pay less and you get less is what Silver Sands Holiday Village is all about. However if you are in the cottages you will not be disappointed. Its basic but still gives a good feeling. We did not regret much but had expectations which this hotel could not live upto.

Room Tip: Choose the cottages, its basic but still much better than the rooms.
1  Thank Buzo_Pops_Dad

Reviewed 24 March 2014

we arrived at this Hotel in check in hours of the evening surprised to know they have no cottage that was booked by us they give us standard room and not refund the difference of price. we saw big spider on the roof, when we got to the room, it was the most basic room I have seen in many years. The bed was not good, uneven, the pillows smelt, when I looked under the pillowcase, and mattress, it was so stained that I consider it a health hazard! the shower had filling with dust. As if that was not bad enough, the view from the door was a rubbish dump at the back of the hotel The air conditioning unit was filthy and was blowing dust everywhere in non working condition, another health hazard!.The breakfast was toast and tea, the staff did not even bother to speak to us or try to be helpful. Appalling ,We have been coming to Goa for 10 years and have never stayed in such poor accommodation. If you are considering this Hotel, .......don't.

Room Tip: Please conform your booking before going to hotel because you pay for cottage and get standard room...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank amrinderdaffu
Reviewed 19 March 2014

We visited the hotel as a couple and stayed there for 3 nights in March 2014. We were surprised with the beauty and location of the property. It offers cottages and standard rooms which looks good frm outside.
Goods: 1 Manager, Mr. Peter is very kind and helpful person. 2) Clean rooms with clean linen. 3) Bikes and scooters for hire easily available 4) It is about 5 mins walk away from Candolim beach. 5) Amazing night life nearby 6) Okay Food 7) Superb Swimming Pool

Cons: 1)While booking we got wi fi free, but the network was only available at reception area and lobby itself even not in the room. 2) On the name of service, hotel does not offer any special service. The room was clean but not equipped with drinking water and toiletries.3) The restaurant service was also pathetic and slow. 4) We were booked on cp basis which only had bread toast, butter, jam, tea, coffee n juices (we didnt liked it anyway, but usually hotels at goa keep the same menu) 5) we asked for some sugar, the person clearly denied tht this kind of service is not included in our package and it is against their policy (shocking)

Tips: *Do not book on cp basis, better to have breakfast outside
*Carry a electronic kettle with u, it will help alot (we kept and very much thankful to our senses)

Over all a gud trip n stay at SSHV.

2  Thank RuchiAyush
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights in the month of December 2013. I like the location of this hotel; very close (just stone throw away) to the Candolim beach. Other than that nothing special in this hotel.

=> They never care about Indian customers. Service was absolutely nothing.

=> My booking was included with free breakfast. on the first morning I don't know where to have the breakfast and looked for some one in reception.. but no one is there and skipped. On the second day, I found a receptionist, I confirmed with here whether my booking has included breakfast. She searched the details on her computer, confirmed and directed me how to reach there. When I entered dining area, they asked me to give the breakfast token which I didn't received while I checked in as well as from the receptionist I inquired. They asked me to go back again and get the token. I even told them I will get it after I finished breakfast (since it is few yard away from reception); but they didn't allow me. Its a shame to be there as every one watching me. I also noticed, as far their concern breakfast means Bread, Butter & Jam. This is stupid.

=> No toiletries where provided in my room (even soap)

=> Sleep quality was very worst because of heavy motor sound from A/c machine. I switched off a/c and slept with ceiling fan which is even worst.

Over all I ruined my holiday by choosing this place. Goa is not a place for going single especially the place where we can't get good service.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank sundar_amu
Reviewed 6 March 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Silversands holiday village for two weeks just returned Monday 3rd March, great location for beach, restaurants, the staff very friendly that's where it ends, the hotel standered rooms looking very tired no wardrobe space for hanging long dresses, shower curtains need replacing (mouldy) Would go back if they was updated but not until. We paid £2100 and didnt think it was worth paying so much

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dendave2014
Reviewed 2 March 2014

The good bits first – located just off the Candolim Beach road, about a 100 m from the beach. The property has a nice & pleasant feel to it and is very well laid out. The hotel has a couple of restaurants which serve both Conti & Indian fare and while we didn't try either (given the number of dining options available on the main Candolim beach road), they did look promising. Also, a thumbs up to the hotel staff (except one).

The Bad – Standard rooms are much below par. They initially gave us a corner room on the GF which we requested to be changed as it was very dull & congested. The ones on the first floor are still OK though. They havn't provided a mini-fridge in any of the rooms and room service too is minimal - Had to request a number of times for drinking water & toiletries.

The Ugly bit – We’d booked this through Expedia with Breakfast Buffet included. To our surprise we found that the so called Buffet was just plain toast, butter, jam and tea/juice ! Tried clarifying it with Mr. Peter Dias but he was arrogant & aggressive from the word go. He initially insisted that they'd only mentioned a “Basic Continental Breakfast” & not a buffet and squarely blamed Expedia for not specifying the same. When I got Expedia to call them – he came back with a “This is what we call a Breakfast Buffet – it’s Standard Continental Breakfast”. We left it at that but must say that his attitude didn't help matters, was probably having a bad day at work !
All said & done – a mixed experience really.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at the Angaara Silver Sands for two weeks in February with our holiday being our first experience of India. We arrived early in the morning and found reception to be okay, however we were left to wait for around one and a half hours whilst being told nothing and not even offered a drink whilst a room was to be found for us!
When we finally got going we were upgraded into the Silver Sands apartments but we would have to move out after a week. The room was pleasant with a decent bathroom, however both the ceiling fan and the air con were dated and therefore noisy and ineffective
After our first week we moved to the Angaara annex, the room was slightly larger and the air-con and ceiling fan were newer and as result worked a treat, this room also came complete with a fridge. The only real downside to this room was that the bathroom was dirty and old and took a number of wet-wipes before we were brave enough to sit on the toilet! As for the balcony we had a shared balcony, which was not ideal, but the view over beach street was good fun - having a drink whilst watching the madness below.
As for the location then you could not ask for more with the beach only 5 minutes walk where you will find a plethora of beach shacks, which you simply have to hit once beer-a-clock comes round :)
Overall the hotel was average, neither breathtaking nor awful and I would not be unhappy should someone tell me I am going back there tomorrow.
If we were to go back to Goa then we would definitely stay in Candolim again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple