“mixed bag”

Silver Sands Holiday Village
Ranked #28 of 67 Hotels in Candolim
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

we had booked a bungalow room with Thompson, when we arrived they tried to put us in what I can only describe as a beach shack!!! all the other bungalows are made of brick and this one they tried to put us in was made of wood, with holes everywhere, no proper shower, only a hand held one and no working a/c. we complained and I must say they didn't seem surprised. they said they would not have another bungalow room until tomorrow but they would move us to a standard room until then. so when we finally got a proper bungalow we were happy. many people we spoke to had moved rooms for one reason or another. other than that the staff are really helpful and the bar staff are really friendly. the room where the safes were, were always full of mozzies. we had a few cockroaches in our room but staff soon dealt with this. as my heading says a mixed bag. location is excellent, rooms are ok, staff are lovely

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 March 2014

We recently returned from the SSHV and this was our second visit when previously we had a standard room three years ago booked with TC. This room was a bit tired with not much of a view. This time we stayed in a superior room booked with Thomson and that was one of the best rooms I have ever stayed in. Certainly the largest bed and the flat screen TV was spot on. Reading about the A/C did remind me how loud it was but I recommend a Honeydew or three at night to sleep through it! We had a wonderful view of the gardens from the balcony and spotted mongoose and squirrels from the balcony. The staff were really friendly in the Chicago restaurant on-site and the seats outside and we never waited long to be served. Breakfast is a bit of a joke but it serves a purpose but if you miss it don't worry as there are plenty of places a stones throw away to eat at and that's not including the superb shacks on the great beach. We are going back in 2015 for 3 weeks this time, the hotel, location and staff being that good.

Room Tip: Make sure you book a Superior Room or a Bungalow
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank majorboggy
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We stayed in this hotel in the month of March after reading the reviews in Tripadvisor....Word of caution: All the high ratings are given by tourists from abroad whose expectation in service levels are really not that demanding...and here in comes the difference. Let me elaborate a little. We were 2 couples and we booked directly without going through any travel website. We had spoken to Mr. Peter, the hotel manager and we had specified not to put us in the annexe. We were in the hotel on the scheduled date and to our utter surprise we were directed towards the annexe only which is known as the Angara. And we anticipated what was in store for us. The rooms there although big were very shabby. There was no water or tea coffee machine in the room. Surprisingly there were no toiletries. After speaking to Peter a lot he promised to shift us to the cottages the next day. He is a good man and he kept his promises. The cottages were better though everything was basic. So please do not have high expectations in terms of services or privileges. What you will get is a decent room, some basic services but a great location and also very less Indians. The pool is nice. The breakfast is served in place opposite to the hotel. The complimentary breakfast includes bread butter jam and tea. Everything else is chargeable. The location is great and hence you will get a lot of restaurants in and around. Just on the crossing you have a great departmental store which will help you get all the necessary stuff including water, alcohol and all other essential items. You pay less and you get less is what Silver Sands Holiday Village is all about. However if you are in the cottages you will not be disappointed. Its basic but still gives a good feeling. We did not regret much but had expectations which this hotel could not live upto.

Room Tip: Choose the cottages, its basic but still much better than the rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Buzo_Pops_Dad
Reviewed 24 March 2014

we arrived at this Hotel in check in hours of the evening surprised to know they have no cottage that was booked by us they give us standard room and not refund the difference of price. we saw big spider on the roof, when we got to the room, it was the most basic room I have seen in many years. The bed was not good, uneven, the pillows smelt, when I looked under the pillowcase, and mattress, it was so stained that I consider it a health hazard! the shower had filling with dust. As if that was not bad enough, the view from the door was a rubbish dump at the back of the hotel The air conditioning unit was filthy and was blowing dust everywhere in non working condition, another health hazard!.The breakfast was toast and tea, the staff did not even bother to speak to us or try to be helpful. Appalling ,We have been coming to Goa for 10 years and have never stayed in such poor accommodation. If you are considering this Hotel, .......don't.

Room Tip: Please conform your booking before going to hotel because you pay for cottage and get standard room...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank amrinderdaffu
Reviewed 19 March 2014

We visited the hotel as a couple and stayed there for 3 nights in March 2014. We were surprised with the beauty and location of the property. It offers cottages and standard rooms which looks good frm outside.
Goods: 1 Manager, Mr. Peter is very kind and helpful person. 2) Clean rooms with clean linen. 3) Bikes and scooters for hire easily available 4) It is about 5 mins walk away from Candolim beach. 5) Amazing night life nearby 6) Okay Food 7) Superb Swimming Pool

Cons: 1)While booking we got wi fi free, but the network was only available at reception area and lobby itself even not in the room. 2) On the name of service, hotel does not offer any special service. The room was clean but not equipped with drinking water and toiletries.3) The restaurant service was also pathetic and slow. 4) We were booked on cp basis which only had bread toast, butter, jam, tea, coffee n juices (we didnt liked it anyway, but usually hotels at goa keep the same menu) 5) we asked for some sugar, the person clearly denied tht this kind of service is not included in our package and it is against their policy (shocking)

Tips: *Do not book on cp basis, better to have breakfast outside
*Carry a electronic kettle with u, it will help alot (we kept and very much thankful to our senses)

Over all a gud trip n stay at SSHV.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RuchiAyush
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights in the month of December 2013. I like the location of this hotel; very close (just stone throw away) to the Candolim beach. Other than that nothing special in this hotel.

=> They never care about Indian customers. Service was absolutely nothing.

=> My booking was included with free breakfast. on the first morning I don't know where to have the breakfast and looked for some one in reception.. but no one is there and skipped. On the second day, I found a receptionist, I confirmed with here whether my booking has included breakfast. She searched the details on her computer, confirmed and directed me how to reach there. When I entered dining area, they asked me to give the breakfast token which I didn't received while I checked in as well as from the receptionist I inquired. They asked me to go back again and get the token. I even told them I will get it after I finished breakfast (since it is few yard away from reception); but they didn't allow me. Its a shame to be there as every one watching me. I also noticed, as far their concern breakfast means Bread, Butter & Jam. This is stupid.

=> No toiletries where provided in my room (even soap)

=> Sleep quality was very worst because of heavy motor sound from A/c machine. I switched off a/c and slept with ceiling fan which is even worst.

Over all I ruined my holiday by choosing this place. Goa is not a place for going single especially the place where we can't get good service.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank sundar_amu
Reviewed 6 March 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Silversands holiday village for two weeks just returned Monday 3rd March, great location for beach, restaurants, the staff very friendly that's where it ends, the hotel standered rooms looking very tired no wardrobe space for hanging long dresses, shower curtains need replacing (mouldy) Would go back if they was updated but not until. We paid £2100 and didnt think it was worth paying so much

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple