“Gets Worst Every Year”

Ranked #26 of 65 Hotels in Candolim
Rookley,isle of wight, United Kingdom
“Gets Worst Every Year”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We have been traveling to SSHV for 5 years the location is the best in Candolim but the service is the worst
The first year of going they could not do enough for you. then they put a TV in the bar area. I don't mind getting my own drink, but the bar waiters were watching the TV one night so I got up and got my own drinks all night it came to the end of the evening the manager turned up and the waiters started running around so I got up and got my drink as I had all night and one of the waiters came over and said that by getting my own drinks I was making trouble for him and got quite rude about it so I stopped drinking there .

On arrival last year we were taken to the room which was filthy. There were dirty foot prints on the wall, fridge was rusty inside and the room had not been swept properly. We went straight down to see the manger to say the room was dirty and was told the foot prints were clean. I didn't believe what I was hearing we changed rooms.

Day to day cleaning is a joke they come but the TV on and spend more time watching than cleaning. One day we took the remote to the beach with us by accident and the room actually got cleaned that day!

Sam the night porter is very helpful but the man that covers Sams day off is always asleep or missing. We came back from a night out returning about 2am to find the place in total darkness. we had to go behind the reception desk to get our own room key. We could have taken anybody's key. The worrying thing is the room with all the safety deposit boxes was left unlocked.

We are returning to Candolim this year but not to SSHV.

Room Tip: Superior room only
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Robert M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The stay was strictly OK....nothing great except for its location very close to the beach and some restaurants and shopping joints. Right on the main Candolim beach road, the property itself has some great potential with nice parking, restaurant space, cottages etc but is being poorly managed ...cutting costs by providing just very basic facilities to customers.

Breakfast is bare minimum...toast,butter-jam,pre-mix tea, 1 juice. So dont get excited by a getting a Breakfast included room package. No room service at all...you would need to depend on nearby restaurants for even a cup of tea/coffee !!!

And then the most sour point...some pet dogs roam around the entire property making guests uncomfortable...during our stay on all the days, we would open our room door to find them lying right in front...Our kids were very very uncomfortable...I guess the foreign visitors love them. But we didn't...at least not when one is in a holiday mood and finds some dogs resting in front of your room.
Please note that the Silver Sands Holiday has no baby pool...there's only one small adults pool. The cottage room are basic inside and nothing great to write about...there's not even a hanging point inside the bathroom for clothes.
To summarize, I don't think I would be going back...

Room Tip: Don't go for Cottages...nothing special or private about them !
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DpkArvind
Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed there for three weeks with my wife chose a bungalow (113) at the end opposite the pool rooms are very basic but you get use to that , we actually didnt see much of the room as you are up early and out , walk to the beach and decide to turn left or right that's probs the hardest thing to do whilst there, like most people have said the rooms are basic but clean the fridge / ac have seen better days but it's a laugh watching 3 grown men trying to fix it , would defo go to goa again but would book independently as you can save loads , bagga or candolim yes for the people food and beaches , but make sure you go on the back streets don't be afraid to as the food is amazing and the Goan people brilliant , see you soon goa

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nasher110
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My husband and I arrived in the middle of the night app at 3 am on a Tuesday morning. Our superior twin room 502 was not clean the overpowering smell of urine in the shower room was discussing. The fridge was a real health hazard. There were chipped tiles on the floor. The wall tiles had excrement smears. The rug was very dirty. There were other less serious issues such as limited hot water,breakfast was only tea and toast , chipped wardrobe, broken drawers and one very poor quality bath towel each every two days. First thing in the morning we requested another room and were advised that there was no availability and that the hotel would fix everything. We booked with Thomson holidays and gave our concerns to our rep. After three days none of the aforementioned had been fixed. It was unfortunate that our rep had limited visits due to her work schedule. We however e mailed Thomson 24/7 help desk. We moved out after three days we could no longer live in these conditions and moved out on the Thursday evening and paid for alternative accommodation. On my return I formally complained to Thomsons and they offered us compensation in the form of a holiday voucher for the insulting sum of £68. The only thing the silver sands holiday village had going got is its location

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank LACraig
UK
Reviewed 21 April 2014

This was our second year at SSHV. We stayed the last week of Feb and first week in March.

I noticed that it seemed much busier at this time of year, than it did for the middle two weeks of March last year.

We had a fabulous time again. The location of the village is fantastic, and again all the staff we absolutely brilliant - polite, helpful and always good for a chat or a joke!

We stayed in the bungalows again. They haven't really changed since last year - still no storage in the bathroom! They are basic, but they are clean and fit for purpose, and the beds are comfortable. The sheets and towels are changed every other day.

The breakfast area has been updated and is now self service which is much better. Yes, the breakfast is basic, but it serves its purpose. If you want extra you can pay a small amount extra or there are plenty of other places to eat - we never bothered.

To us the location could not be any better, the bungalows are great, and the staff are fantastic. We have already booked a further three weeks for next March!

Room Tip: Choose a bungalow or superior room.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Mumbai
Reviewed 7 April 2014

The hotel was highly recommended by a Goan friend and it didn't disappoint.

We had requested a pool-facing room and to my delight, we were given a really early check-in as the room was available.

Shailesh at the reception was incredibly efficient and friendly. There was another lady at the reception whose forever smiling face really made us feel at home. They even arranged an Avenger motorcycle for us within 30 minutes of asking for it.

The room was large, airy and clean but AC was not upto the mark- the maintenance people tried their best but cooling was mediocre at best. Though it was offered, we didn't bother with a room change as we were out most of the time and the AC was adequate during the night time when run at full blast.

Except for one of the waiters who was quite rude, I found the staff very helpful and ever-willing to go out of their way to make us comfortable.

Though the hotel is not located right on the beach, it's barely a minute's walk to the sand. While on the beach, I highly recommend Bono's Shack- good food and the cleanest washrooms I have seen in any shack. There are a number of fantastic restaurants in the area as well.

The pool was clean and the water was crystal clear in spite of the heavy traffic.

The only thing that really nagged me was being charged 1500 (which apparently is 400 above norm) for an airport pick-up and the driver saying it did not cover the cost of putting the car's AC on.

All in all, a great experience and I absolutely recommend this hotel if you're staying in Candolim.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

1 Thank Sunil A