Our stay, 8th to 22nd December 2013 was our fourth visit to Casa Sea Shell. It soon became clear that standards have dropped.
We had pre-booked and requested a high floor without A/C. Our room was in the first block on the first floor. All rooms now have a/c and we did not want to be mistakenly charged at the end, so we handed back the remote for the a/c unit. A fridge was offered for 150 rupees per day, (£1.50), but we declined.
ROOM, the room had a very musty smell about it when we entered, I don't think it had been used for some time. The floor and furniture was very dusty, I cleaned the inside of the wardrobe and drawers to remove the layer of dust before we unpacked our clothes. This place underwent a room refurbish a few years ago but already the mattresses were old and tired. The edge of mine was completely broken down on the side where, (overweight?), guests sat. We stripped off the bedding and completely flipped the mattress over. This improved things marginally but two weeks in a bed like this and I kept rolling to the side which was collapsed. I washed the little tray which held two glasses. The dirt which came off when I soaped it was amazing! On our second day, and after the room had been serviced, the floor seemed much cleaner underfoot because the cleaner had been in and swept it. The floors, to my knowledge, were never mopped, in fact I never saw a mop in all the time we were there, only a broom. Perhaps no-one has taught these room cleaning men how to clean properly.
BATHROOM, we had no hot water from day one. My husband had a quiet word with reception and lo and behold suddenly there was water! Next time we wanted to shower - no hot water again. Another word and it appeared as before. After a bit of detective work on his behalf he discovered that they were turning the pressurisation pump situated in the loft off. It seems, by the noise which it is making, that the pump is on its last legs and staff were putting off the inevitable - a new pump. One night, there was no water to flush the toilet! The hand basin was badly cracked and the floor needed deep cleaning especially around the edges in order to remove the black scale.
BREAKFAST, included, tea or coffee and toast with jam. One day we were given margarine instead of butter which we refused. Toast was cold every day as was the coffee which needed crutches to get out of the pot. We took the toast to the beach to feed to the cows, they were always grateful!
POOL, rare in this price bracket. It was very pleasant area with beds and umbrellas together with towels. The water was absolutely freezing though! Many species of birds here and in the lovely gardens.
STAFF, Wilfred the manager and Clyde were lovely people, as were the staff with whom we came into contact. Not much English spoken though,
Would we stay here again - Not unless the levels of service are improved and the hotel undergoes a refurbishment. and deep clean.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sea Mist Resort is Located just 100 Meters away straight walk to the famous Candolim Beach and on the main street where all happening nightlife and major restaurants dazzle each traveler; a popular tourist destination in North Goa, 12 kms from the capital city of Panaji and 40 kms from Dabolim Airport. The Resort offers a charming blend on idyllic beach side location and a base to explore North Goa, a former Portuguese colony famed for places of worship like the Basilica of Bom Jesus, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and world heritage architecture like the Fort Aguada. All rooms are carefully designed to tickle the tastes buds of modern travelers and over look beautiful gardens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Traveltool, S.L.U. and Evoline ltd so you can book your Sea Mist Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Sea Shell Hotel Candolim
- Sea Mist Resort Goa/Candolim