“Excellent Menu Choices!”

Souq - The Restaurant
Ranked #773 of 3,581 Restaurants in Ahmedabad
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This is an excellent restaurant serving Persian, Lebanese & Moroccan Food. This is listed in BURP and also an awarded twice restaurant featured in Times Food Guide for Best Mediterranean FoodAhmedabad is known for foodies. For Ahmedabadis good food is a celebration. Be it Indian cuisines or the import flavours of Chinese, Italian or Mexican. But there was always a missing venue serving delicacies from mesmerizing Middle East and mouth watering Mediterranean. Souq -The Restaurant - fills up this missing piece of good food experience. The theme based and award winning restaurant serving Persian, Lebanese and Moroccan cuisine which is famous for its mezze like Hummus, Falafels, Shawarmas, Chello Kebab and Moroccan Tagines. The re-launched menu offers wide range of authentic cuisine from the Mediterranean. The unique experience of different food, sounds of Arabia and spectacular ambience is just inevitable.
Gandhidham, India
“Excellent Menu Choices!”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Just came back from a dinner at Souq. Me & my wife have been planning to visit this restaurant for almost 2 years now and finally we made it today. In a line I can say that "I liked this place, but didn't really LOVE it."

The exterior facade of the restaurant is quite famous in Ahmedabad now and looks fantastic. Very inviting and promises an Arabian ambiance inside and it delivers on that. Really liked the interiors. The restaurant is no doubt very small in size compared to the usual restaurants in Ahmedabad but the quaint cozy small dimly lit room adds to it's old world Arabian charm. Loved the Arabic interiors with small camels and an Amphora types Olive Oil bottle but the best part is their Salt & Pepper Shakers of a Sheikh & Sheikha! Was too cute! But the decor needs a re-touch. I mean the age of the joint is visible on the walls and the floors and it could use a small makeover or perhaps a paint job.

The service staff is okay. Not rude or anything. Just felt a little aloofness in them. But maybe they were just having a slow day. The food arrived reasonably fast.

The food is decent. Their range of dishes is simply excellent and I would definitely like to come again and try other dishes as well. I ordered a Persian Shwarma (still in the Avengers hangover) and a Patatas Bravas and my wife ordered a Chicken Souq Sizzler. I found their food to be a little "LOUD" and not subtle. The shwarma was nice with succulent cottage cheese pieces and spices. For the less civilized people like me, Shwarma is basically a Lebanese Frankie, just to give you a perspective! The Patatas Bravas were a bit too saucy for me. I mean I literally had to scrape off the tomato sauce to make the potatoes edible but were yummy nonetheless. I am a vegetarian so I couldn't taste the Chicken Sizzler but I stole a little bit of Moroccan Rice off my wife's sizzler and I regretted not ordering a rice dish for myself. It was really good and highly recommended! The potion size is quite adequate!

If my review seems a bit confused and contradictory it is because I really am confused about this place. I really enjoyed dining here but it didn't satisfy as much as I was expecting it to. I have been waiting for almost 2 years and after such a long wait it felt a bit of an anticlimax. Perhaps I would be going there some time soon to give it another shot and maybe try a rice dish this time.

Definitely recommended for atleast a one time visit with your partner or family.

===============

• Visited September 2013

Ahmedabad, India
“A Romantic Place”
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Had I been much much younger & courting, I would have taken my girlfriend for a cosy dinner in this cute, crowded, cramped place which is so romantic. I am reminded of many European cafes & bistros where you cannot help but overhear young lovers coo-cooing.
Souq serves Meditteranian, Lebanese, Morroccan, middle-eastern food. The food is tasty. Service is prompt to a fault so that you cannot overstay to extend the romance.
Prices looked a bit on the high side until our bill for six of us came and was a sweet surprise, result of sharing (and caring). But if you were just two of you, it could punch a neat hole to your pocket.
The roadside approach is rather dirty & uneven and even if the curb belongs to corporation, it would serve the restaurant well to spruce things up so that senior citizens and the physically handicapped walk up comfortably.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank gautamahmedabad
Bagar, India
“Really amazing middle-eastern food!”
Reviewed 20 June 2013

The restaurant is known for its middle-eastern food esp. for fallafal and hummus. I had some manakeesh, and it was delicious. Some of the food that we had was really spicy, but you can always ask them to turn down the spices :-). I would also highly recommend to order a mocktail "Virgin Mojito". It was one of the best mocktails I've ever had!

Visited June 2013
London, United Kingdom
“The only semi authentic Middle Eastern restaurant in Ahmedabad”
Reviewed 18 June 2013

We've lived and traveled a lot in the Middle East, so we do realise that dishes have been tweaked for the Ahmedabad palate, but we still quite like this place. Their specials like the tamarind fish are excellent.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Karishma-Kim
New Delhi, India
“Awesome Experience ! Must Must Visit!”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Everytime I visit Ahmedabad I make sure I visit this place. A really cool place.. nice environment.. awesome yummy tasty food.. I wasn't actually expecting such a place in Ahmedabad.. I was really surprised when I visited this and found this far far above my expectations. Try anything from their menu and you will love it. Must try Morrocan Shawarma, Falafel pocket, Souq kebab sizzler :D

• Visited October 2012