“Excellent stay when on business”

The Gateway Hotel Athwa Lines Surat
Ranked #1 of 38 Hotels in Surat
Reviewed 12 November 2011

Went on a business trip to Surat recently - was there for two weeks. This hotel is centrally located and has two very nice restaurants. Every thursday the chef sends across a cake in the evening to all the rooms. All rooms have an ipod dock and quality service! No complaints at all.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Ban123

Reviewed 7 November 2011

I stayed at The Taj Gateway Hotel in Surat / Hazira for 5 nights, on business, and found the place to be extremely well run and maintained. The staff are very hospitable and helpful, the food is good with a large selection for each meal and the rooms are clean, airy and very nicely decorated. Apparently the hotel was part of the Holiday Inn Group, some years ago, but has been bought by the Taj Group who have done an excellent job. At the time of our visit the pool was undergoing renovation and a few of the amenities were not available due to the renovations. The hotel has wifi (at a price) and a souvenir shop. It could do with a shop selling basics, such as, toothpaste and toiletries, etc. There is a liquor store in the hotel but this was closed during our stay. It should be borne in mind that the state is ‘Dry’ and that the hotel has no bar but nor do any of the other hotels in the area. The two restaurants have a good and plentiful selection of dishes for all tastes and the local dishes are very good although mainly veggie. All in all or stay was very pleasant and an oasis in an extremely busy city and will be my first choice should I return to the area.

Room Tip: Ask fcor a room overlooking the river
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Manwithplan
Reviewed 5 November 2011

Well the hotel i am talking about doesn't need any review or recommendation. But i would still write about it. Situated in the most happening part of the city is a very good option to stay in surat. The biggest plus point is the quality and variety of food they have. Tariff is also pretty much reasonable.

Room Tip: Choose river view side rooms instead of city view rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Nisarg_upadgyay
Reviewed 4 November 2011

Well I have stayed many time.. U love this property.. Location is in the heart of city.. Foods is very very good. Hotel staff is very cooperative .. I would suggestbu guys to take a room os sea facing.. Full value for money..

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 November 2011

Good hotel for a luxury stay at affordable rates. Neat pool to cool you down. The spa is good as well. the renovation area is happening for ages. Good food and service to sum it up.
Its got a very good lobby which is very impressive as per the hotels in surat.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 October 2011

For a Taj Gateway hotel, the damp in the bedrooms is appalling. I booked it from London because of the good reviews here and was looking forward to seeing Surat. Our room had a terrible musty smell and the walls were peeling badly - we have video footage. I complained to the staff and told them I had allergies - they tried to find dehumidifiers - they did not work and at 1am in the morning on the first night I had a very serious asthma attack probably due to mould that may have been present because of the extreme damp. I ended up in hospital in ICU - the hotel were efficient and took me and my partner to a good private hospital in their car and the staff were obviously concerned. But they still ended up charging me for half a day / overpriced taxis and I have had to pay for the hospital treatment. If you have asthma / allergies I would say DO NOT stay here - it may be dangerous. There is a much newer luxury hotel near Surat airport that we moved which was clean and dry and I was able to recover there. This scary incident spoilt part of our holiday and I am appalled that the Taj Gateway did not even bothered to apologise or offer compensation but instead charged me. I will be writing to complain now I am back home.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Traveller L
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Don't use their overpriced taxis
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple