The Gateway Hotel Athwa Lines Surat
US$33
  • Room Service
US$39
TripAdvisor
All reviewstapi riverriver viewtaj groupspice restaurantholiday inncoffee shopexcellent hotelbusiness tripmemorable stayvalue for moneybreakfast spreadbuffet dinnerbusiness hotelcomfortable staygujarati thaliroom servicerestaurant staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Whilst undoubtedly the best hotel in Surat, The Gateway does not really live up to the Taj brand.

The renovated rooms are clean and bright, the gym and pool are OK.

However, the Coffee shop is a different matter, not even clean, food stains are clearly visible on all seats and tables mats are not much better. The buffet food is poor is respect of quality and choice, and service is very variable.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Amit_Mehta_TGH, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Athwa Lines Surat, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Greetings from The Gateway Hotel, Surat!

This is a small note to assure you that I have taken note of your feedback pertaining to the coffee shop & the quality of food. I have personally shared your feedback with all our associates and corrective action has been taken.

It is feedback from esteemed guests like you that helps us to constantly introspect our systems and procedures and assists us in striving for a better product and service.

We thank you once again for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to The Gateway Hotel, Surat.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have been staying at this Hotel for almost 9 yrs.
Management changed from a Holiday Inn to Taj Group.
Difference in quality of rooms, service, food quality has touch of "Taj Group" !!
Very kind and helpful staff. To concrete suggestion they accept and implement. I would like to name a few staff, with whom I had interaction - Shamit Sarkar, Mihir Parmar and Amit Thakur (FO), Sanjeev Chakaravarty (F&B). Mr Amit Mehta - GM, personally looked into complaints / suggestions, whenever given. Most of the staff is thorough professional and you dont feel very artificial smile but a very friendly natured staff. Banquet experience is also amazing. Memorable.
If have opportunity, do stay.

Only drawback is NO FREE INTERNET. Its something very rare in a hotels now a days.
No.of TV channels are also very limited.

Room Tip: Fourth floor !! Usually I stay on this floor. I am sure all rooms must be good.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Greetings from The Gateway Hotel, Surat!

I am happy to note that overall you enjoyed your visit to our hotel and the services rendered by my team were to your satisfaction. I have personally shared your feedback with all our associates. I have also taken note of your feedback regarding TV channels & internet charges.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

excellent hotel with best of amenities and very helpful staff and nice location with a river view very large size room with large size bed with good health club with spa facility with 24 hours coffee shop with multi cousin restaurant.

Room Tip: rooms facing river are quieter
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank amit0510
Amit_Mehta_TGH, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Athwa Lines Surat, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Greetings from The Gateway Hotel, Surat!

I am delighted to note that overall you enjoyed your visit to our hotel and the services rendered by my team were to your satisfaction. I have personally shared your feedback with all our associates.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

This is a superb hotel, very nice staff, good location and very receptive too. My thanks to the kitchen staff and the chef who kindly put up with my requests and congratulations for the very best "Phirni" that I have ever tasted.
Suggestion, checkout needs to be smoother.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank avid-zoomer
Amit_Mehta_TGH, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Athwa Lines Surat, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Greetings from The Gateway Hotel, Surat!

I am delighted to note that overall you enjoyed your visit to our hotel and the services rendered by my team were to your satisfaction. I have personally shared your feedback with all our associates esp. with the kitchen team. Also i have taken note of your feedback regarding check out experience for corrective action.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

I have stayed at this hotel in the month of April 2014 where the lake side rooms which I have been stayed is simply superb with its scenic beauty in the early morning. By sitting on your bed u can see the sunrise along with the view of the lake while in the night you can see the surat city fully lighted with various coloured lamps. Food was good. Great swimming pool & welcoming staff.

Room Tip: Lake side rooms
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Amit_Mehta_TGH, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Athwa Lines Surat, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014