“EXCELLENT”

Vadodara, India
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“EXCELLENT”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

the food was very good..lots of options were available there. i think if you come to vadodara..you should go to surya mandir

Visited September 2013
3 Thank PRAMEEL

Vadodara, India
278 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 896 helpful votes
“Sun Checkmated by Elephant”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

As I was waiting for Shri Rahul Bhagwat of Majestic Music House in his den , it dawned on me that in many decades , I did not offer my respects to the Lord Suryanarayan in his temple just opposite to the General Post Office near the place where I was . So I went to the garden in which the temple is .

When I first visited the temple when I was not even in my teens , I was attracted not so much by the Lord himself , but the rarest sight of a huge stone elephant in front of the temple . As such , I had seen then a carrier of respective God / Goddess in front of him / her . But an elephant and that too in front of Suryanarayan and not in front of Indra ? Moreover I was interested in this elephant since that time when I heard a whisper telling me that the elephant moves one wheat grain forward at the time of the first sun ray and backward by the same length at the time of the last sun ray . Since then on so many occassions I went there to observe the movement . But alas .

Meanwhile I started taking interest in the history of Vadodara and when I again saw my dear elephant in that fateful evening on 20th May , 2013 I recollected how the then Diwan of Vadodara , Shri Raoji Appaji Phanse constructed the temple to please his concubine who displeased with him and pleaded with him to construct a temple of Suryanarayan as he was like a sun around whom she like an earth rotates without any hope to meet him .

The beautiful temple was constructed and Shri Raoji took her with him to visit the same . But she told that the Idol could not be installed as the sun moves from East to West , the entrance of the temple is facing the East and hence the idol would be facing the same direction , which is inauspicious . Then there would be no Vadodara and no temple . She then gave examples of Konark and Modhera .

Now what to do ? The temple was a masterpiece of architecture worth lacs of rupees . Then one scholar suggested to install a statue of Airavat ( elephant ) in front of the Lord so that he could obstruct the vision of Lord falling on the city . Nearby on Anustu hill there was an antique statue of an elephant which was brought to the garden and then installed there .

Whether the elephant walks , I do no know . But I know for sure that the elephant saved my beloved Vadodara .

Visited May 2013
5 Thank Dilip S
Vadodara, Gujarat, India
91 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 202 helpful votes
“Sun temples in center of City of banyan trees-vadodara”
Reviewed 5 May 2013

Believe me can you imagine a city where The General head post office,the city center of a 2 million full city is bang opposite the rare SUN temple-Sooryanarayana Temple!The fifth icon of the five basic Icons which Acharya Shankara pronounced all to worship is the SUN 'GOD' because of which Life survives on earth.The rays of the SUN rising has to fall on the icon driven by seven horses at the dot of the dawn each day.Whether today is it possible we cannot say,still the temple right in the center of this cultural city of 2 million is surrounded by a garden open space where mostly homeless or old come to 'relax'.All twelve names of SUN are written on the panel and i remember standing before it before I named my son as ADITYA.New day new thought new ideas new way to deal look at the same or new problems is the message of gayatri mantra as we all stand before the LIGHT that shines equally for ALL!The SUN.This is an active SUN temple as breaks a wrong notion that sun temples are rare in India.I was so peped up when I could have my own hospital on this lane 20 years back as the city expands at the periphery many barodians may have never entered its precincts!!Sun is the fire Light a Noor common to us all humans.

Visited May 2013
5 Thank santhemant
Bangalore
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Surya Mandir legendary temple”
Reviewed 3 May 2013

this is one of the most legendary temples of Vadodara and is thus frequented by a large number of devotees. It is situated in the Surya Narayan Baug, Love to see this again

Visited January 2013