“Overall Very Solid, But A Few Tips..”

The Perch Service Apartments
New York City, New York
“Overall Very Solid, But A Few Tips..”
Reviewed 9 March 2012

The Perch is a very comfortable guest house that I would recommend to any traveler, but particularly those coming to India for business. The guest house is spotless, very clean and housekeeping does a great job. The staff is very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable about all things related to Gurgaon and Delhi. The owner is usually around on most days and she is very approachable. Everyone here definitely goes the extra mile to help, and provides great service around the clock. The rooms are very spacious, neat and nicely organized. The food they provide is delicious, but there isn't much of a restaurant - yet (it's coming). Most people do their own cooking, or order room service (highly recommended). The front desk is beyond helpful - they cater to your every need. So overall, it's a great place and I enjoyed my stay.

BUT...A few things:
The metro/subway station isn't a walkable distance. Plus, it's very hard to catch an auto-rickshaw off the street to take you there, so you basically have to call a taxi, which costs much more than it should for a simple ride to catch the subway. (If the hotel driver is there, he will take you for free - but no guarantee he will be there). So if you're looking to use the metro on a daily basis, this isn't the best option.

The apartment is located in Sector 40, which is quiet/peaceful, but, again, you need to hire a taxi to get to any of the malls for any kind of shopping. The only major restos in the area are domino's and pizza hut. For anything else, you have to hire a taxi and go the malls, which are on the highways. Malls/restos are also not within walking distance.

This leads to the issue of taxi's. Since you need one to get anywhere around that area, I **HIGHLY** recommend finding your own company and arranging your rides with them directly. Being Indian-American, I have been coming to Delhi for 15 years and I have never before paid the rates I was charged by the hotel when they used the company they contract with. I feel the rates they paid the taxi company was normal, but they seem to have charged me additional money on top of that - just my gut feeling. Bottom line: the taxi rates they charge are too high. Also, the company they use is not very reliable. They often arrive late, and even once, the driver got a better offer in the middle of my trip and left me on the side of the highway (yes, seriously). You can find better rates and better service if you just ask around and do a simple internet search.

The power goes off quite often. It's not really that much of a problem because the generator kicks in right away, but it's worth mentioning, as electronic devices can get hit with a power surge from such outages. The generator, however, is the bigger problem. If you're on the ground floor, there is no way to avoid the sound of the generator running. It's loud. Try to book something on the higher floors, if possible.

These things aside, enjoyed my stay and would recommend the Perch for business travelers.

Room Tip: Don't select a room on the ground floor. If you have to, I would negotiate the rate due to the...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
8 Thank rjverma
Kunalsingh20, Owner at The Perch Service Apartments, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Dear Mr Verma
We would like to thank you for the praise for our services. We appreciate your comments on the cleanliness standards, the food quality and the courteousness of all the staff. Just wanted to respond to your feedback on the transport issues you faced.
1- Delhi Metro - This is at a distance of little more than 1.2 Km from the Perch on the same main road. Whether it is walkable or not is really an individual choice. We have some guests who do walk it and others who take transport.
2- Location - We are very explicit about the fact that we are located in in close proximity to Unitech Cyber Park in the heart of Gurgaon's commercial district(on the main road itself). This location has all hospitals, offices and other commercial establishments in walking distance. But, main shopping malls are about 4-5 kms away (5-7 minutes by car).
3- Taxi services - We have used 3-4 external taxi vendors, but since you have raised issues with their service levels, we have done a serious rethink. You would be happy to know that after taking your feedback, Perch has invested in its own sedan taxi for in house guests. One more sedan will be purchased in 2-3 months. We are investing significantly to ensure that our guests don't have to deal with 3rd party cabs going forward.
4- Generator issue - Although the genset is brand new and a top of the line model silent genset, it could be a bit of a bother in 1-2 of the apartments adjacent to it. We have added double insulation to this and will address the issue.

I hope that your concerns have been addressed. We look forward to your next visit.

Regards
Management, Perch Service Apartments

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Korean first
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 14 September 2011

We chose this place for a long stay when we moved back to Gurgaon...and did we choose well!!! It feels like home away from home...warm service, good cleanliness and hygiene standards and most importantly they are happy to go out of their way to be helpful!!!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank AinPraha
Kunal S, General Manager at The Perch Service Apartments, responded to this review, 29 January 2016
Dear Mr Ain,

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement, an we are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 12 September 2011

My trip to Gurgaon was made memorable by my stay at The Perch. I had a 2 month comfortable stay at the inn and all thanks to the great service that was available around the clock. My office which is right in the hustle bustle of the city was easily accessible via 5 minute metro rail ride . That saved me from renting a car and braving the traffic.
The cuisine offered was splendid and had a taste of authentic regional food from across the country. The chef is an extremely pleasant personality and very flexible to cater to your taste. The rooms had large balconies and when you step out you find yourself amidst lush green surroundings. My only feedback is to get a couple of more treadmills in the gym as sometimes one has to wait for the turn though evening they are free to use. Overall a great experience and highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Nipun_Sharma79
Dear Mr Nipun,

delhi
Reviewed 11 July 2011

The Perch is the perfect place to stay if you are planning a business trip/relocating to Gurgaon. The service apartment is run professionally, and the staff is hospitable and polite. The rooms are spacious, neat and well maintained. In fact for the rate that is charged and the room and amenities, provided, I would say the place is outstanding, and equivalent to a 4 star hotel. The location of the apartment is also a plus point - close to the city center as well as the business district. I am quite sure that the next time i visit Gurgaon, the Perch will be the place that I would stay in.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank ps1Delhi
Dear Sir,

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 July 2011

I stayed at Perch for 12 days in March this year, when I was in Gurgaon. The main reason for choosing Perch was the proximity to my office. However, I would now like to return for more reasons than one.
The most interesting part of the hotel, unlike others, was that each of the rooms were styled as service apartments which offered privacy as well as the feeling of being at home. The apartment was extremely clean with the housekeeping staff on call all day long. The owner, Madhu, takes special care of her guests. I would often chat with her, while going out or coming in, and she would ensure that all my needs were taken care of instantly.The food was another thing that I simply loved at the Perch. As I was there for a while, I wanted to avoid eating spicy food on a regular basis. The food was just perfect, being sumptuous and simple at the same time.
On the intervening weekend, there was enough to do at the hotel. I spent time reading an interesting book which I had picked up from the well stocked library. I also got to play table tennis with another resident from China, who helped improve my game! Perch also has a gym which I used regularly in the mornings.
All in all, I had a wonderful stay at Perch. The only one incident that I remember was when there was some confusion on my check-in dates. It caused a slight delay in assigning an apartment to me, as they were not expecting my arrival until the next day. Luckily, they were able to accommodate me for an extra day without much ado.
I would definitely recommend staying here and would come back again!

Room Tip: Top floor apartments for the best view
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank addy_hols
Dear Ma'am,

Perch Service Apartments
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 17 May 2011

I really enjoyed the place and it was a very pleasant medium duration stay. The staff is quite prompt with almost everything. The décor has a nice warm feel to it and the hostess has an eye for detail. Definitely value for money….

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business