“Moderately Good experience” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 54 Hotels in Katra
Delhi
“Moderately Good experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2014

The hotel is at an average location and is not visible from the main road. If you are going to Vaishnodevi for the first time, I would not recommend this hotel. It will be better if you stay somewhere near the bus stand. This place is about 15 mins on foot from bus stand and Rs.50 by auto (for 1 person). However, if you are a regular visitor and you do not want to be in the hustle bustle of Bus stop area, this is at an idea location. With ATMs closeby, auto available right outside, good food of the in-house restaurant, you probably will never need to go to the main Katra area.

I booked two rooms in the hotel having 3 beds each. I reached the hotel at 5 am and the hotel denied me early check-in as they were sold out and did not had a spare room. This is fairly understandable, so I went out and rented a room at another hotel for wash and change. Came back to this hotel by 8 am to keep my luggage and went ahead for yatra. I was told that my luggage will be moved to my rooms at 12 noon. However, when my parents came back from yatra (around 2 pm) the luggage was still lying at the reception. It was a little disappointing. When I came back at 4.30 pm, I was told that my room was still not ready and I will have to adjust in another smaller room for the time being. Now this was extremely disappointing to see your room is still not available when you are asking for it since 5 am. With the tiredness of yatra, I didn't want to adjust anymore.

At this moment, manager of the hotel Mr. Krishan intervened and sorted the situation by offering me one of the best rooms of the hotel, without any extra charges. Do note that the entire hotel staff, except Mr. Krishan, did their best to mess things up and deliberately not help us.

Similar mess up happened while check-out when hotel taxi wasn't available and the receptionist referred me to an outside vendor who was sitting at the reception only. The vendor did some mess and entire hotel staff took their hands off saying that he wasn't the part of hotel. If that was the case, then why was the hotel allowing that individual to sit at the reception and referred their guests to him. Anyhow, here too Mr. Krishan came to our rescue and sorted it out.

To be noted, they serve excellent food by Katra standards. We felt no need to go out and search for another restaurant. They also have power backup facility.

We took at 2 bed room and a 4 bed room. 4 bed room was a huge room, with a partition for both beds, separated by a wooden almirah cum TV module. It also had a common sit out area with sofas and common bathroom. Was a wonderful room.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank rohit100

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
New Delhi, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

It was good trip.
Pleasant Stay at Shri Hari Niwas.Well behaved staff. Food is very good with no garlic and onion as per requirement.
On and above pick and drop facility for Banganga is really impressive.

Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

1 Thank Pradeep K
Bengaluru, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Hotel is located close to ban ganga (starting point of Vaishnodevi trek) but the autovalas will not settle for anything less than 70 bucks. and while returning the route is longer due to one way so the auto will cost more than 100 bucks while returning. The hotel dos provide pick and drop to ban ganga but sometimes you will have to wait for the cab (based on availability). We took 2 delux rooms which had one king size bed and one single bed (enough for four people in a room). Rooms were clean and well maintained. Wifi connectivity was bad and was only available near the reception area. since we were 7 friends and only two charging points were available per room had to adjust with the mobile charging. We stayed only for one night that too for two hours in the morning on the first day and two hours in the morning on the next day, rest of the time we were on the trekking. Later got to know that there is a possibility of getting charged based on hours also but that was too late. So it is recommended to explore all possible options as per the plan.

Room Tip: Wifi available only at reception. Rooms are spacious with a king size bed.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Travelling to Vaishnodevi for the first time with Elderly Parents and 4 year old Kid that too in December means one has to be precise in planning everything, from Hotels to Travel Etc. Thank god we made right choice at Katra.

We had planned 2 nights 3 days at Katra Keeping in mind possibility of the Helicopter Ride not functional and we may have to wait for a day. After looking around a lot of Hotels, zeroed down on Hotel Shree Hari Niwas. We knew its a budget hotel and our expectations werent that high.

Landed there after a long drive from Amritsar. Late night check in in Cold but were helped by adhering to our request of ground floor rooms (as the hotel doesnt have a lift). 1st interaction good. Parents feeling cold, got extra heater in 10 mins.

Has a decent restaurant (keep in mind its a budget hotel and set your expectations accordingly). Our food order was always "Safe" and "Non Experimental". we were ok with food.

Hotel helped securing my daughter food items and Dad's Medicines in restaurant Fridge. Thanks guys.

Helpful Manager, even with a shift change instructions were passed on correctly. e.g. we left very early for Mata Darshan in our car and asked driver to wait for our call. We missed I'D card at hotel but the hotel sent hotel car immidiately with the same to the Helicopter boarding point. Mata Darshan went smooth with Helicopter service on time and we came back earlier than expected.

Had ordered Hot Milk for myself. Daughter argued and got one for herself too. This didnt work well as she fell horribly ill the next day. This could have been also to the fact that Milk in Hills is not easy to digest. However, would sugggest to go absolutely safe on food here.

all in all, decent experience in a budget hotel.

Room Tip: Pl get ground floor room as the hotel doesnt have a lift.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MilindAcharya
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

We took 4 rooms for our 2 day stay from the deluxe room to the family room and each and every room had excellent ambience. The staff was very hospitable and took care of our every need. Mr sunil the booking manager was very courteous and helped us in booking the helicopter and when it dint fly make alternate arrangements for the darshan and resolve the helicopter issues. He even upgraded one of the rooms on request. We were back at the hotel at 11pm from the darshan and still were served fresh and hot food without any complaints from the staff. To say thank you for the hospitality to only a single person there would be unfair, hence a thank you to all at Hari Nivas.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Sushant M
Yamunanagar, Haryana, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

I reached this hotel at 5.15 AM on 11th August , 2014 with wife and three kids. Although the check in time was 12.00 AM, Mr. surinder at the frontdesk took one look at us and opened the rooms within 10 minutes. The water was served within 2 minutes and the free taxi drop was ready by the time we changed and came down at 6.00 AM. on our return at balganga, the pickup taxi was there within 10 minutes of making the call.

throughout our stay whatever was needed hot water for kids milk, plates for kids or any information that we required was made available to us without any problems. rooms are spacious and bathrooms adequate with hot water avaialble .

if going with the family this is a very nice place to stay . The market is just 10 minutes walk with lots of autos also available.

the difference is in the attitude of the staff and thats what make the stay pleasant.

Sleep Quality
2 Thank Gautamgg2014
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Hari Niwas Palace has been my favorite place in jammu since ever. This time when we went there for dinner I accidentally forgot my wallet and came to know about two days later. Thankfully the staff had carefully preserved it and even tried to contact me on facebook by name on my cards. It had around 3000 in cash apart from other important cards. I am highly impressed by the sincerity of the staff. U guys rock!!!

1 Thank nehasumbria