“Swiss- wish-not miss”

Ranked #14 of 135 Hotels in Srinagar
Gandhinagar, India
“Swiss- wish-not miss”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

When we missed out on Swiss trip this summer,we headed for Kashmir and lo we got a swiss hotel right in the backyard of the Dal lake.!
A Quality hotel, swiss in style and set up, locationally advantageous, green centrespread, redbricked building and good natured staff
.The rooms are what the photos show-spacious, well equipped and well maintained.
.Cozy atmoshere and serene surroundings,large windows,good bathroom-pleasant stay.
Some points still to take care of ;
.The hot water may be available in the mornings though, so better to take bath before10 a.m.
.The CABLE TV has a limited number of channels available .
.The BF/lunch/dinner service is not available so early morning excursion may require you to plan first for the food and also to search out food joints in the evenings after an exhausting tour in the day..
Apart from these, the stay was really comfortable.

Room Tip: Two buildings so choose the front to have a side view and the inner one to have a balcony.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
15 Thank manojoza

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Mangalore, India
Reviewed 28 March 2014

The hotel is very close to Dal Lake while being hidden from all the hustle and bustle on the main road (Boulevard Road). The rooms are clean, spacious, warm and trimmed just right for a cozy stay. The hotel owner, Mr.Roop, is the most helpful guy you could meet. He's interesting, funny and a wealth of information for all your needs in Kashmir. He even went out of his way to put us up in another hotel, as he was fully booked and we hadn't booked in advance (a big mistake!!!). You'll feel welcomed here, and the rooms are worth more than what you pay for.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
61 Thank RuskinAsh
Spain
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Arrived at Srinagar on early September 2011, after a crushing non-stop trip from Amritsar. I needed something different from the dreary budget hotels or the too formal expensive ones. Luckily the guide's advice was right for a change and I didn't regret going straight to the Swiss. Before even checking in, the friendly staff allowed me to take a nap in a room of my choice and when I woke up I found myself carefully attended by a friendly and courteous family. Rauf, the manager, is a good man always ready to help with everything. Whether it was food, internet, sightseeing, guidance about the region, travel advice or just an enjoyable chat, he always had a right solution for my -perhaps too many- inquiries. Furthermore, he managed to put me in touch with another solo traveler with who I explored the whole Kashmir region for two weeks. If you sum to all this a fair rate, clean and quite rooms, good location and a beautiful garden... then there is little to complain about. Thanks Rauf and family, keep it up!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
61 Thank pedroJiX
Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed 5 March 2014

i spent 3 nights in hotel swiss in february 2014. i got a very warm welcome with an offer of tea and cookies. my room was spacious with a bright wooden interior and a flatscreen tv with many and very clear channels. the bathroom was big with a 24 hour hot shower. wifi was available in the lobby. the hotel offered a heating blanket and additional blankets to keep me warm in the cold winter time. staff is very friendly and motivated and as a solo travelling women i felt very safe there. your driver may not know where to drop you so it may be helpful to tell him the following: go to gagribal, ghat number 16, there take the street to your right for 250 m. in srinagar i got more smiles, weaves, greetings and invitations than anywhere during my travels. will be back one day, inshallah!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
20 Thank Danielawy
Carteret, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I stayed at Swiss Hotel in Srinagar between January 4th and January 8th, and I had a fantastic experience. Even though it was the dead of winter, I and the two friends I made there had an absolutely terrific time lounging in the reception office/salon in the evenings exchanging ideas with Raouf, the manager, who is incredibly friendly and knowledgeable and Mudasir, his assistant, was was receptive to all our requests. I truly couldn't have imagined a more warm and welcoming place to stay in Srinagar. When I go back one day, there's no question I'll stay here!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
55 Thank Jas P
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 25 February 2014

There's no central heating. It was warmer to go outside than stay in the room. It was winter with temperature ranging from -4C to 6C. We just assumed that hotels have central heating. Turns out that only 5-star hotels have that. There was a heater powered by a gas stove in the reception.

There was hot water aplenty but it was soooooo cold that we did not shower for the 3 days we stayed there. The 1st night, my boyfriend and I would put our feet in a pail of hot water just to brush our teeth. We had a good laugh about this which is all we could do.

We were given many blankets which helped alot. I felt warm enough to poke my head out of the blankets.

The owner was super nice and helpful. He lent me his wife's boots and knocked on the door of his neighbor during prayer hours so I could buy thicker socks.

WiFi is only in the reception which is a good excuse to go down and sit by the gas stove heater.

The experience was so unreal though that it was unforgettable. It's definitely the coldest hotel I've ever stayed in.

Room Tip: There is no central heating. Everywhere. Good luck
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Hotdog_donkey
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We just left Srinagar after 5 amazing days at the very enjoyable Swiss hotel.I always say the staff makes a hotel o.k. or super, and the latter definitely applies to this well situated place.The staff went ofhis way to answer any and all of our requests and questions. Every morning they served us tea and took time to chat with us. They made sure we had freh towels, etc...in the room which was of big size and well equipped. All you need as far as local food,supplies like water,snacks,etc...was easily obtained near the hotel.We ate most of the time at Lhasa resto 5min.away and that was enjoyable every single time.Great soups on colder nights was vry much appreciated.Of course the famous houseboats and shikaras were steps away as were taxis and rickshaws.Rouf the person we mostly dealt with helped us on more then one occasion ,making calls for us and surfing the net with us to get plane tickets or our next hotel etc...and we are very thankfull for all the time he sacrificed helping us.He really made us feel welcome and important as much as part of his family. I would recommend this hotel to all and the ones who might have written bad reviews should get an attitude makeover and be nicer which always goes a long way with anyone.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple