“Really great place”

Ranked #29 of 574 Speciality Lodging in Srinagar
Ko Pha Ngan, Thailand
“Really great place”
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Really did well choosing Veena Palace. Great value, comfortable, clean and friendly. I can't imagine finding anywhere on the lake like this for 500. Food was extra though, breakfast was 100 and dinner was 200, though when I mentioned that I thought dinner was rather expensive (and delicious) Firdous was happy to lower the price. As was I think mentioned in another review, this is verging on a home stay. Firdous is the fourth generation to run these houseboats and the rest of the family lives just next door and they all were really welcoming and helpful. You can really see what their reputation and their business means to them, they go out of their way to help you have the time that YOU want. Firdous is a wonderful host, keen to chat and hang out which was great fun, extremely knowledgeable and keen to impart his recommendations and warnings, all of which were most appreciated.
The only thing I will mention however, I was extremely frustrated when getting prices for things. I was on a very tight budget and wanted to do a trek (sadly too expensive for me, next time), see the lake, get dinner etc. They were EXTREMELY helpful in all these things, describing at length all the things I would see, the logistics, previous trips, the food, the fishing, however getting the price was literally like getting blood from a stone. Always, "don't worry about it", "it's very cheap", "it won't be a problem", "we can sort that out later" No, I need to know the price!
Despite that wee quibble, this place was great! Really quiet, lovely view, good price. Highly recommended :-)

Room Tip: I was in the cheapy boat and it was lovely, I imagine his more upmarket boats are really stunning.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Henry J
VeenaPalaceTeam, Manager at Veena Palace Group of Houseboats, responded to this review, 13 March 2017
Dear Guest
Thank you for writing a review. Your valuable feedback not only helps us in order to improve the quality of service, but also help the other travellers to choose the best of the best available.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
London
Reviewed 11 April 2013

We chose Veena Palace due to the positive reviews on TA and are happy we did. Firdous was very attentive to our needs and so were his entire family. We enjoyed discussing all manner of subjects together and were in awe of their knowledge, understanding and willingness to share and teach others about lake life, Srinigar life and Kashmir life in general.
A fascinating couple of days, food was delicious and the location and view from the houseboat we were on (Bul Bul) was exactly what we had hoped and imagined.

Thank you Firdous, see you soon!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank katapilla77
Otwock, Poland
Reviewed 8 March 2013

We found Veena Palace thanks to a recommendation on a traveller's forum. And it was the best place we could possibly find in Srinagar! Firdous and his family are extremely helpful, he can arrange all the trips you may want to take in Kashmir but if you want to find your own paths he will not push you. He will also give you the best advice on what is worth seeing, taking into consideration your conditions, budget, health state etc. The boat itself has everything that is needed - private bathrooms, hot water, European toilets. It is located a bit further, which makes it calm, peaceful and quiet, just a perfect place to relax. And the food cooked by Firdous mother and sister is just the most delicious we had in India! I honestly recommend the place to everybody and will visit it myself too for sure! Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Ewa K
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 10 November 2012

i was travelling alone in india for one month. my friend recommended me to spend last days in srinagar and he gave me address veena palace group of houseboats. the owner was waititng for me on the bus station where were "thousands" of indians people. he is very nice and polite man. he showed me round the city, explained me history of the city,etc. Prices are great, houseboats and rooms are clean, there is hot water...just everything what you need:) so i can recommened veena palace houseboat for 100 %! enjoy your stay....

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank petra s
Srinagar, India
Reviewed 6 October 2012

The Veena Palace Houseboat is a category C houseboat. It is not far from Ghat 7 but not in the first row. So it's quiet and peaceful. The boat has good rooms, sit down toilets are provided, and also hot water. The owners are friendly and helpful and very open minded. There is a cosy room to sit and eat. You can get basic but good food. Only downsides are that there is not much fancy wood carvings and no sunset view from the boat. But therefor you have to go to a much more expensive place.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Rob297623
Zhengzhou, China
Reviewed 4 September 2012

another 100% positive feedback. Whether you want to see the area or just sit on the boat with a book, thats the place to do it. Also one of the nicest people I have met while in India. Avoid spending/wasting time at the bus station trying to figure out who to trust, just contact Veena Palace in advance and head straight to the boat after arrival. Even if you book Veena in advance be carefull when you arrive, everybody will try to get you to their boats saying its gonna be Veena. cheers

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank goroh
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 28 July 2012

I was travelling alone in India for one and a half month and spent my last days in Srinagar. If you want to find a good houseboat here for an acceptable price you will definitely have a lot of trouble: houseboat owners are trying to catch you everywhere, sometimes even with wrong informations. After some bad experiences on different houseboats I wanted to leave the Dal Lake. Just as I was walking along the street I met Firdous, the owner of the Veena Palace, he was really gentle and unlike the others he was not forcing me to get on his houseboat. So I decided to give him a chance, and I can say this was definitely a very good decision: I spent a wonderful time there, I was nearly overwhelmed by the politness and the true-harted character of Firdous and his whole family. These are the type of people, that you are looking for when you go on a backpacker trip. Good price, delicious food, clean houseboats, clean water, always good advises if you need something. He also has a second little boat just for his guests so that I could paddle around on the Dal Lake all on my own whenever I wanted.
Absolute 100%!