“Mixed Experience!”
Review of Hotel Heemal

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Srinagar
Hotel Heemal
Ranked #76 of 133 Hotels in Srinagar
“Mixed Experience!”
Reviewed 3 January 2013

Strategically located at start of Dal Lake and end of Market. The view of Dal Lake is kind of glimpse of the tail, the bigger magnanimous Dal Lake is still further away; Still you get a pretty good view of Dal Lake; evening with lights, and morning with mountain at back-awesome! At first glance the look of hotel may seem Okaish, but once you enter the room its just awesome!!! We were on our second honeymoon and well we tried both the Executive Suite-109 (Very spacious with attached balcony; balcony shared with Deluxe executive Suite-109A) and Super Deluxe Room. Though Super Deluxe Room has a shorter balcony and nearly less than half space, but its renovated and pretty good! Both room comes with TV and pretty good channels selection; My wife's Star Plus addict :).

Mind it, this is a government owned hotel so the cook has to be really good, and my expectation was answered with satisfied taste buds :P Awesome Saffron Tea, Chicken Biryani etc.

Note: I had booked online, which comes with complimentary breakfast. To get complimentary breakfast you should get coupons from the Reception else they are not free! I had to pay for my breakfast as bill was raised :( Anyway I managed with bills for other meals :) Not all staff will allow this so better be prepared.

You might be thinking, why Mixed Experience? Well at one moment they didn't allow us to extend our booking as Government officials were going to occupy the whole Hotel! Well this is one disadvantage of Government Hotels, and we had to look for hotels. This is one disadvantage of spot booking to avail discounts :( but luckily we got another good hotel and loved it much better - Blooming Dale a few blocks away:)

Pros:
1) Room with ample lighting and TV with good option of channels
2) Courteous unobtrusive Staff - Provided you Tip them well
3) Good freshly cooked local food - Great Cook!
4) Great View

Cons:
1) No Room Heater / Heated Blanket
2) Frequent Electricity outages, generator backup not so great as it supports just 1-2 lights :(

Room Tip: Tip01: Book Super deluxe rooms and try for Liquor side topmost floor - 2nd or 3rd. This gives a bett...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank veiloffright

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Calcutta, West Bengal, India
Reviewed 29 December 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights. This hotel we booked through J & K tourism.

Rooms are quite big and every room has attached specious balcony. There were electric-blankets attached to each beds and they were quite effective.

Bathrooms are also big one and greaser was also working at good condition.

The food was good, and the restaurant staff was courteous. The price were bit higher side.

All the staffs are hungry for tips. Even that is something you will find everywhere in Kashmir.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 2 December 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. This hotel we booked from J & K tourism website. Because from November it is off season in Srinagar, we got a 50% discount for the hotel booking. I guess this off season discount is applicable for all the Hotels, Huts and Cottages from J and K tourism website.

The hotel is in front of Dal Lake and all the superior rooms have lake facing. This is the main USP of this hotel.

Because this is a government property, we were not expecting any sort of extra ordinary arrangements and they proved us one hundred percent right. When we reached there we asked for the lunch and they said restaurant is booked by some government seminar, so they are not servicing to any of the hotel room. Fortunately there were few restaurants nearby the hotel and we took our lunch there.

Anyways hotel campus is surrounded with a beautiful garden. Yes, there is a liquor shop inside the campus and in the evening time we saw a big crowd at the shop which made us little uncomfortable because we were with family.

Coming to the rooms, they are quite big and every room has attached specious balcony. There were electric-blankets attached to our beds and I must say, they were quite effective and we never faced a Srinagar kind of cold inside the room just because of those warm blankets.

Bathrooms are also big one and greaser was also working at good condition.

Overall it was a good experience staying in Heemal and I can give 2.5 out of 5 to this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Gaurav_NewDelhi_Ind
Kovalam, India
Reviewed 12 October 2012

Looking into some good reviews on the trip adviser, I decided to make my booking at Hotel Heemal but unfortunately it was TERRIBLE experience. I booked a Deluxe Room for four nights during the month of July for but surprisingly when I reached the hotel, they couldn't find my booking. Later after talking to the Manager I got my room and when I reached the room it was found that our room was connected to the next room with a big balcony. Any one from the other room can break your balcony glass and come into your room. We also witnessed the guest from the other room (couple of bachelors) were talking / fighting in loud voice in the balcony till 02.00 am on the date of our arrival causing lot of inconvenience to us. The hotel is just 20 meters away from two wine shops and walking in the night after 19.00 hrs is quite dangerous looking into the kind of crowd wandering around the hotel premises.

The staff behaves very strange like they are doing favors’ and has no intention to help the guest. A hotel like this didn't even have a three pin adapters on request. The hot water kettle provided in the room was so dirty and they have no proper equipments to clean the same. The fridge was not working in our room. The telephones were down and so on…… We ordered some food for lunch after having a very long flight through room service and the quality was very poor. Fortunately there is couple of restaurants around Heemal serving good food and thus we could manage our stay. The hotel is located in front of the lake but has no view from the so called deluxe room as it is located in the first floor. A travel company is located near the hotel, and the staff working there are really good and helpful.

Srinagar is a very beautiful place to visit and would highly recommend but meanwhile JKTDC must take drastic steps to improve the quality of services to the guest so that they get to see repeat guest. I am sure during my next visit to Srinagar I will never stay in HEEMAL neither will I recommend this hotel to any of my friends.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank STK1972

Travellers are raving about these Srinagar hotels

delhi
Reviewed 25 September 2012

This hotel facing the dal lake is the best JKTDC can offer the super deluxe room with wood paneling on the walls comfortable bed is a nice option.People are courteous.Has electric kettle , room service is nice .Being a govt hotel in your own interest do not go with high expectation carry your own towels and bedsheets.Good for people who drink, this hotel has the only wine shop in Srinagar and bad for people who do not drink, there is always rush in the driveway because of liquor coustomers

Room Tip: Avoid rooms just above the wine shop they are noisy .
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank rajan51
Reviewed 22 August 2012

My wife and I were in Srinagar in Aug 2012. While I was looking for acco in Srinagar, I was struck by the lack of good acco in the medium budget range (I admit the search was largely done online).

I settled for Hotel Heemal, and braced myself for striclty average service, knowing that this was government (JKTDC) run.

So here goes...

Pros:
1. Great location: As with most government properties, the location is excellent - in the heart of the action, with great views of Dal Lake
2. Good food: The food was good, and the restaurtant staff was courteous

Cons:
1. Service takes a backseat. When we entered, there was no one at the reception - everyone was praying (Islam dictates five prayers a day). I was reminded of the two months I spent in Saudi Arabia. We had to wait for everyone to finish their prayers before being attended to. We did not face this anywhere else in Kashmir
2. Staff is tip-hungry

As I have mentioned above, Srinagar did seem to lack good hotels in the mid-range. Still, I would not stay at this hotel if I visit Srinagar in future.

Room Tip: A note on rooms: I followed the advice of one of the reviewers here, and booked a Super Deluxe room...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Vivek R
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I stayed here for two nights in the deluxe room. The rooms were well-appointed, but little things were overlooked. Like there was one soap and one towel for a double room. While we were finally supplied with the second of each, the staff softly protested that only one would be available. There was no water in the washroom initially. Room service had to be called and then they switched on the supply for that room. The drawback is that the bed is hard.

The positives: the room service was quite prompt. Location was fantastic. Adequately close to the market place and the eating joints. There is a large parking area which is good if you have your own car.

Room Tip: Probably will be a good idea to avoid the standard rooms as these are not great. They offer goo
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple