“2 days of complete R&R” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 129 Hotels in Srinagar
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
“2 days of complete R&R”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

we only had about 2 days to get in some R&R after the harsh and testing altitude and climate of Ladakh. Maqsood and Sami were brilliant hosts. The staff were fab and most accomodating. The rooms clean and showers adequate. Cant really ask for anything more. The food was good and the staff did all they could to accomodate us. The views were to die for. Forget Dal lake and what ever romantic visions you had a being able to recreate the scenes from " jab Jab phul khilae" Nigeen lake is the place to be and thi is the place to stay. We felt we were familiy friends of Maqsood and his son and not paying guests

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Harry S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Thai first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Our family of four stayed on this lovely houseboat on the Nigeen Lake. On arrival, we were greeted by Maqsood, a delightful man who looked after us very well. He is very hospitable and looks after his guests very well and arranging any thing he can for them. The food is cooked in a very homely style. Over the evening, we met other members of his family, all were equally delightful. Maqsood is a very warm kind hearted man and I agree with all the other comments, it is his hospitality that makes the difference

Room Tip: The end room has a four poster bed and is the largest I think of all the rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank DrNickFoster
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

My first trip to Kashmir and the hospitality and warmth me and my mother received was unbelievable. I had heard about Kashmiri hospitality but my experience at the houseboat with Mr Maqsood, Sami and their team exceeded all expectations. Kudos to the entire team.
Right from the booking to the personal attention paid to every detail from the time we arrived was impeccable. For a first timer in Kashmir, all help was provided to me with information about the place, Shikara rides, pricing etc.
The rooms are neat with detailed woodwork and accessories that make them look beautiful, the food is homelike served with a smile. Located on Nigeen lake which is a quite, peaceful place, ideal for a break.
Overall, a very fulfilling experience, very highly recommended for the entire family.
Maqsood Sir, I'm also leaving with a huge learning on what it means to provide "Knock the socks off" service. Thanks a lot.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank RakeshHrithik
Bengaluru, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

We had a torrid time searching for a good houseboat, so I thought that I will put up this review.

Nigeen Lake is more peaceful than the Dal Lake. So if you are looking for peace and tranquillity, stay at Nigeen.

This houseboat is what we chose after looking at after 6-7 houseboats in the area and the Dal. All the houseboats are more or less in a similar ambience and age. They all look the same and offer similar interiors. What is different is the attitude of the owner and that is what was very good and made us chose this houseboat. They were very good in and wanted to make us comfortable in all possible manner. I found them to be fair as well in terms of policies.

Location- Nigeen lake - good and not too crowded
Ambience - Old and not well kept if you are used to 3-5 star hotels. You will find this to be severely under the standards.
Food - extremely basic but fresh. The food is so basic that you laugh and then enjoy it.
Beds - Better ask for clean linen. As I said, the standards are not too great.
Toilets - very basic - just about usable.

Overall, its an experience and a better one , as the owners are helpful. There are many people out there to con you. I can say that I did not experience that here.

Room Tip: TIP- go for a shikara ride to the floating garden in the eve before sunset. Its a great experience a...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GJ098
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

We were in srinagar for 5 days out of which 3 days curfew was there. But people of srinagar will try to do everything to make your trip memorable. And maqsood bhai is the first of them. We stayed in a boat which looked old from outside, but from inside it was quite big, very lavish and beautiful with carvings everywhere. Ishfaq, a young helpful boy was at our service all the time. It was the first bday of our sn and the same day curfew was applied and we coul not leave for pehalgam, but Maqsood bhai arranged everything for us for that day.. Right from shikara ride, to houseboat arrangement and next day travelling. They even went out to find cake for our son in that curfew. The are many hotels, houseboats in Srinagar and every where but NOBODY CAN MATCH THE HOSPITALITY OFFERED HERE. The personal touch they add is what takes your heart away. Mr Sami was also very nice, polite and very very helpful. We still cant forget the sweet smile on his face even when he hadnt eaten whole day because of Roza. Also, a special thanks to our driver Majid bhai arranged by Maqsood bhai only. Highly recommended to everybody. An experience to cherish for the whole life.

Room Tip: Choose the older boat as its quite big and beauiful from inside. Also choose suite if possible
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Bikramjit S
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

My experience with New Jacquline was amazing right from the start. I booked very late the night before, so I had some concern as to whether they'd have time to prepare for me. Well those concerns were unfounded, as they were wondering what took me so long to arrive. During my stay Mr. Maqsood arranged for a very enjoyable 3 hour shikara ride through the canals of Srinigar and around Dal Lake. It was a great way to experience the "Venice of Asia." I also really enjoyed the peace and quiet on Nagin Lake.  Dal Lake is much more active. Lastly, customer service runs in the family, as Mr. Maqsood's son, Sami, went to a great effort to ensure I arrived at the airport to catch my flight (it was not a normal day with airport security). It was a great experience from start to finish. I highly recommend the unique houseboat experience in Srinagar, and don't think anyone can beat the tremendous hospitality and all-around experience at New Jacquline.  They made me feel right at home. My stay was short it sweet. I wish I could have stayed longer. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank bryabail
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

Could not ask for a better houseboat in Kashmir. Very neat and clean. Mr Maqsood was very proactive in guiding throughout our trip..Will surely drop in the nxt time I visit Kashmir. Timely Service and good food. Superb view from the front side of the houseboat.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends