“Superb Hospitality” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #33 of 129 Hotels in Srinagar
New Delhi, India
“Superb Hospitality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

The stay was very pleasant one and well remembered by us. We did not have our mind in vacating the stay and moving to a city hotel.

The houseboat is really a luxurious one. Well furnished rooms. Very high quality washrooms, nice dinner table, nice reception hall with cable connected TV. The interior of the houseboat is so charming that you will not like to vacate and move out to other places in Srinagar.

The houseboat is very neat and clean and so also the rooms. They provide a very delicious paid dining arrangements with a menu card. The food is served hot, prepared by the owner's family members - a very delicious home food at a decent cost in a boat house. Nice ambiance and surroundings.

The caretaker is too good to make your stay very comfortable. They also arrange 'shikara' ride and other city tours.

When you are in Srinagar next time, try this houseboat. The rates are quite competitive as compared to what you spend in a city hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank saurabh_arora9

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

We stayed here in September and I have to say I was looking forward to staying here having heard great things from my travel agent and the other reviews on here. So maybe I arrived with elevated expectations but having said that I always try and not to expect too much as it can only leave you disappointed.

The big difference between the other reviews and our experience was the hospitality level. With the exception of Latif who looked after us we saw very little of the management (in fact he came to introduce himself the morning we were leaving) . Otherwise we were left to our own devices with little guidance. A large group was staying in another boat at the same time as us and the attention seemed to be around them.

Latif who looked after us was great despite his limited English he took care of us as if we were family. Food choices was good the quality was ok/good.

Boats were in good condition and clean. The contracted Shikara-man was sweet and friendly but al ways looking for a way to make an extra buck or two. The location of lake nageen is definitely the way to go if you prefer the more peaceful and less commercial option.

I give it a rating of three as the experience felt very average, hopefully this is a one of experience as the family run business means well but execution could be improved.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank RST1974
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

The Mascot houseboat is an absolute delight. We have travelled to many parts of India and have long wanted to visit Kashmir, we were rewarded greatly.

The peaceful Nageen Lake is so beautiful with its kingfishers, lily pads, chinar trees etc. and set against the stunning mountain backdrop. There is always something to watch and even the gentle sellers in their shikaras are a pleasure to have on board; what a way to buy lacquer boxes.

The traditional accommodation was excellent as well as interesting; it felt like our own home. Everything was very relaxed, the food was great and we were looked after superbly.

Yaseen could not have been more welcoming and we enjoyed long discussions ranging from the boat’s nostalgic history to current politics. From here we visited Srinagar, the shawl making area, Shalimar Gardens, a trip on the Jhelum River, etc.

We extended our short stay and our only regret is that we had booked into a five star soulless hotel near the busy Dal Lake. We will return however to the Mascot boat.

Room Tip: All the rooms are fine
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Palitana
Geelong, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

Our special thanks to the Tuman gentlemen for our memorable week. The Lord Mascot houseboat has a great history and the family has maintained the proud tradition. The two bedroom houseboat has cedar carved walls and walnut wood furniture very skillfully carved and presented. The decor has been carefully chosen displaying Kashmiri motifs and local embroidery, eg curtains. The food is tasty. Gazing out, with the mountains as a backdrop, the peaceful Nageen lake with large lily pads, pretty lotus flowers and birds patiently fishing is very soothing to the soul. Generally, the organisation was good. The driver who took us on day trips was good and punctual. Omar, the shikara man was entertaining and friendly. latif, the house host was attentive and obliging. The friendliness, warmth and politeness of the hosts has left me with special memories, particularly because people are important to me, they enrich my life, and genuine ones are few and far between. My husband and I have spent a very happy week here. We wish the Tuman family all the best and hope we will meet again. Que Sera Sera! (Our experience may not suit everyone, I'm aware of this as I write this review.)

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ros B
New Delhi, India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

I booked Mascot houseboat for a night on 8th June'13 for a stay with my family. So on my arrival I was communicated that the huseboat is located in Nageen Lake instead of Dal lake, which I prefereed, so I asked the person that since there was no clear communication from your end on the location so please cancel the same. The gentle man threatened me & my family that if we don't stay then we will be responsible of the dire consequences in Srinagar during our stay at Hotel Lalit.
My family requested that let's not get into any argument since we are on holidays so we decided to stay. After reaching we realized that there is no one to serve lunch even, my kids were starving & finally after raising my voice snacks were provided.
Next terrible thing...In night around 1 pm someone was fiddling with the door handle, as if wanted to open the same. I immediately became cautious & holded a chair in my hand so that if any one tries to walk in at least can save my family. I opened the door & found that the care taker of the boat in drunken state asking what will I care for the breakfast. I actually screamed & pushed him back .
Next day morning I raised the concern to the owners but didn't see any apologies from there end.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank sachin_batra71
MascotHouseboat, Owner at Mascot Houseboats, responded to this review, 8 July 2016
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Mascot Houseboats!

Its very unpleasant to read your review which seems to be full of concocted lies.

You were communicated all the details to the extent of room sizes + views of the Houseboat. You managed to buy time in making the payments for the room and somehow succeeded till your arrival in Srinagar. Our office didn't ask for any credit card details as you were in correspondence with the senior most person.

On your arrival you had refused to board a complimentary pick-up and our concerned person understood that it was a mistake to trust you and gave you an option free exit from the booking. However, you again played fowl by retaining the driver and coming to the houseboat. After exploiting the situation for a free lunch and other sops, you didn't stop there and stooped to a very low level of allegation against of well behaved and good etiquette staff. People who recommended you to us were very apologetic as you had created a ruckus at their property too.

Hosting you was a learning experience for us !!!

Showkat Tuman.
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

I stayed with a group of 4 other family members in one of the luxury houseboat for 2 nights. The stay was very pleasant one and well remembered by each of one of us. We did not have our mind in vacating the stay and moving to a city hotel.

The houseboat is very neat and clean and so also the rooms. They provide a very delicious paid dining arrangements with a menu card. The food is served hot, prepared by the owner's family members - a very delicious home food at a decent cost in a boat house. Nice ambience and surroundings.

Visit, stay and you will really enjoy.....

Room Tip: You can get comfortable rooms as per your need.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Sathyanarayanan J
Beaconsfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

We spent 3 nights on the Mascot Houseboat. Lovely food, Great and unusual furniture, comfortable bed/beds. Good bathroom with nice toiletries. Two shikara rides along the peaceful lake. Loved the flower sellers and trinkets sellers. Visited the Moghul gardens and the several mosques. An unforgettable experience. Thank you Yaseen. See you in UK?

Room Tip: Avoid the first room close to the kitchen/service area
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple