“average”

Grand Mumtaz Srinagar
Ranked #46 of 135 Hotels in Srinagar
Reviewed 24 June 2014

It was a very poor experience going there as it's room service is very poor, pool maintenance,breakfast place,waiters and etc.,so i would suggest not to visit here.
I don't know where to begin... To be honest I wasn't keen enough on this hotel in the first place but it came highly recommended by some of my "tour & travel" friends, so I decided to take their advice but ended up in regret.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Grand Mumtaz Srinagar

Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Grand Mumtaz for two night (3-4 June)
The hotel location or building is good and well maintained.
The rooms are clean and well furnished and fitted with big LCD TV, but the service like house keeping & room service are very poor takes ages to come.
Morning breakfast is average.......

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Chandrashekhar S
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Stayed for 3 nights...every person over 1 adult is chargeable in some way or the other...Costed me 14k plus with breakfast and dinner with a normal room with extra bed...should have stayed at The Taj by paying another 4k...good hotel...good buffet...location far from dal lake...I have a strong notion that I have overpaid....definitely too expensive...

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Vikas W
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

We went srinagar in jan 2014...verry cold and wot u just expecting is warmth and speedy service..ur tastebuds want to have some lickin food..and yes this hotel provided it...
Rooms are gud..vry gud arrangement of heater..food prepared was very much above average..staff was curteous..we opted for buffet during our stay and once ppl were less...they provided us a la carte of our choice absolutely free..wen u r having dinner dey were just click away if u need anything..
Location is also gud as per transport means u easily check in to highway...
I will recommend for all sorts of ppl specially family..

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Amitarya28
Reviewed 27 May 2014

i went to grand muntaz in jan 2014. the rooms are clean, well dressed, rooms views was beautifull. all white coz of snow, the Dal lake is near by. morning breakfast is average.. will get all cuisine.
enjoy the kashmiri culture, wazwan.
kashmir is beautiful ,,but the hotel is a bit over rated. the bathrooms should not give broken mugs. i loved the stay... i loved to see white kashmir again.

Room Tip: mountain view rooms
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I strongly agree with one of the fellow reviewer who said "Have had mixed experiences with Kashmiri hospitality during my visit but this one was the worst." Can't put it better words than that, I wish I had read the reviews before confirming the booking.

We stayed at Grand Mumtaz for 2 night(9-10th May) in Srinagar which was the last leg of our 1-week Kashmir tour, and kinda spoiled the sweet memories of the rest of the trip.

The building and interior is pretty good so does the rooms, spacious, well furnished & fitted with big LCD screen TV. But the service, amenities & facilities sucks, staff doesn’t have a slightest idea about hospitality (well that may be true for all of the Kashmir hotels, but very prominent for this one).

When we arrived, I proceeded to the reception for check-in, to my surprise the front office staff told me "Sir you have already checked-in, a while ago" so I asked them "how can I already check-in if I’m here" to that they pointed towards a couple and said "that’s you".. I said what?
Apparently they check-in someone else with similar sounding name as me in the room which was supposed to be booked for me.. it took them another 20-25mins to figure out what is wrong after they called up the tour operator, the other guy they check-in was not even supposed to be booked in grand mumtaz but in another hotel named grand mamta, they didn't pay attention to the hotel name I guess. I thought of it as a human error and ignored hopping the things would get better.. but they don't.

Next, after we checked in and changed we decided to check the facilities at the hotel, which are prominently boosted on their website as well as everywhere in the building. First we went to check the pool it was pretty dirty, next was fitness center it was closed with piles of junk lying at the entrance gate. So we went back to the reception, below as the real conversation (as accurately as I remember):

Me: The Pool is very dirty.
FO(Front office): Srinagar weather is very cold, it is not advisable to swim.
(Me thinking: I don't need your advice I need a clean pool)
Me: what about fitness center.
FO: It’s under renovation.
(Me thinking: You just put the pile of rubbish there to make people believe that..lol)
Me: How about SPA?
FO: Sir there is no SPA, you won't find any SPA in entire Kashmir.
(Me thinking: why is it in your menu cards you have put in the rooms)
Me: Ok how can I connect to Hotel Wi-Fi.
FO: Sir, it is still under installation ad it will be available after 2days..
(Me thinking: You know we are checking out in 2 days, and that is why you saying "2-days" so confidently) N i told my wife that they gonna say the same to the customer who check-in 2days later and I was damn right, just read one of the latest review by another traveler who stayed on 13th-may, still no Wi-Fi.
FO: Sir, why you need Wi-Fi.. You are in Srinagar you should check out some places around..

n she went on to suggest us a pizza place me and my wife were shocked.. did we go all the way to Kashmir to have pizza.. but we cannot surf Wi-Fi in our room... really?

The restaurant called atrium situated at the center of the building and open from every single side(including the top) is so ill planned that you wake-up at your 4th floor room in the morning due to the noise of the customer's having breakfast... my suggestion, use it a coffee shop.

Anyway Fast forward to dinner time... , tables were not cleaned, glasses & dishes were not wiped, the water they were serving were not even clear, the chinaware looks as is was bought a decade ago in a garage sale(the pieces doesn't even match). The food was awful, but somehow i was trying to sail though just avoid ruining our trip, but I got tipped over when I pointed out to the captain that the rice is hard.. Instead of accepting and changing it, he started arguing and thus became the victim of my wrath.. Anyway nothing improved at the breakfast of the dinner and even the next breakfast, even though i keep pointing out the glasses and dishes are bing brought without even wiping.. choice of breakfast is very limited.. They don't serve cereals, juices, sausage or beak beans. When you order for 2 omelets they bring 2 half’s of the it (really you think you can save a lot by giving half omelets?)

My advice to all stay in the hotel is you just want a room to sleep don't expect any service, but then again if you want just a room why pay such a hefty price?

Room Tip: The house keeping will ask you if you wnat massage(as listed in menu)... avoid as all cost the worst...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ReviewerIndia
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We stayed at the Hotel for one night on 13 may 2014, and all the amenities the hotel boasts of was closed or shut down for renovation. No wifi, sauna, dirty pool, Gym everything was closed. The staff is not at all accommodative and was ill-behaved at times. They don't have an idea about hospitality.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends