“Must Visit”

Tso Moriri
Ranked #4 of 127 things to do in Ladakh
Reviewed 18 June 2014

if you in Ladakh.

My start of the day was a bummer but Ali the driver arranged a solution quickly. We were going in a very bad condition Maruti Omni Van. After almost 2 hours or so the car broke down. Then we waited for an hour or so for another vehicle he was arranging, of his friend's, a SUV which was much better. It was a long route but great and will be memorable for lifetime. Once we were nearing we thought we were there. There was a lake but that was some other. Driver Syed said that thats the one. So I spent around an hour there. While there noticed vehicles coming from other side so I thought there must be something further. And wondered why no one except me there. So many insects or mosquitoes attacked me there, all stuck on me for long. Luckily no one sucked blood. While coming up, noticed one SUV and asked Syed whats ahead, he said nothing, I asked few times same thing, then he said a village and all. Then he asked another SUV's driver and he said theres things to see further ahead. So we went. Believe it or not, we neared a bridge which said we're nearing Tso Moriri. We were still an hour or so away, almost 60kms away or so. We happened to meet the same SUV we met in morning. Confirmed with the passenger man in it and he said what I saw isn't Tso Moriri but its further ahead. I was like wow what! If we would have left, we would have missed the real thing. So we went. Finally reached. Spent barely 20minutes. I was happy to see this beautiful sight. I was angry because the driver knew nothing of the real spot. We could've missed it for the amount I paid for the travel. My travel tip: make sure you have a good driver, make sure you aren't charged extra, make sure your driver knows it all. This place is beautiful but a feeling of almost getting cheated overtook it.

All reviews
"visiting ladakh"
"full moon"
"remote location"

Reviewed 13 June 2014

semi frozen tso-moriri is fantastic. ice in lake like lotus. in jun 3rd it is unforgettable. I could not expect this seen. It is wonderful.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Approx 200 km from Leh, this place is less visited than Pangong Tso. There is a metalled road reaching till Kyagar Tso, a small lake just north of Tso Moriri. Thereafter, its a dirt road till the lake. The views are stunning as one approaches the lake. The magic begins as one catches the western road along the lake. The reflections of the surrounding hills and sky are amazing (for comparison, one hardly ever sees a reflection in Pangong Tso). For best views, circle along the lake on the east coast till about 10 km, when the dirt track ends on a small hillock.

There's a small settlement nearby with a monastery (Korzok) - definitely worth a visit. The campsite is basic, yet it is a luxury in such a remote place,

Its is a must visit: A suggestion specially to all who visit Pangong Tso and leave out Tso moriri assuming that they would look the same!!

4  Thank Niloy_12
Reviewed 7 June 2014

this isnt your cup of tea bro if ure looking for some "touristy" likes and dislikes.....come here if u just like to be on thwe road.soakin in whatever comes along.bumps and all!