“Excellent”

Ranked #169 of 562 Bengaluru B&B and Inns
Brisbane, Australia
“Excellent”
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights and we found the couple who owned the Home stay very friendly and helpful. The accommodation was basic but suited our needs nicely. Breakfast was included and there was plenty of fresh fruit available. The location was not far from MG Road and there was a local restaurant just nearby plus shops if required. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would certainly recommend it, thank you Sumanthi and Jay.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank wjwsept

Reviewed 18 May 2013

its a good place to stay and its very near to all the places in bangalore all the metro stations bus stands all the malls theatres etc ... the couple who maintains this are very frndly and always helpful

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank abhikabhi
On the road
Reviewed 1 March 2013

I have been twice in this home stay.
They seems friendly, but i didn't feel comfortable at all.
They are not genuine.
Expensive for what they offering you.
But actually it could be a good place if they were not treat me like a child, shouting to me because i didn't clean perfectly the kitchen after cooking my meal.
When i have never seen them cleaning, the place was so dusty that i was sick with high fever and i had to leave.
When i ask to the wife if she could do the laundry for me, she was really annoyed by my request.
The same when i had to pay, she was not even looking at me, keep playing at the computer with solitaire.
I would not suggest this place to other people.
I have really felt like an intruder in their house.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank aaaroundworld
Polis
Reviewed 10 December 2012

I booked this homestay for one night knowing it might be basic given the limited number of other reviews and photos (there are none on the homestay's website). We only needed to put our heads down for a few hours as we had an early start for a bike trip the following day.

Pros: Centrally located so easy to get to restaurants by tuk tuk in and around MG road. Plenty of small stores nearby to get water etc. Owners are very friendly and gave lots of good advice.
Free wifi which was great to plan our day and send e-mails etc.

Cons: We were surprised on arriving that we were not asked to remove our shoes - common in every other homestay we visited. The result? The floors were dirty and we didn't feel they had been cleaned recently, the kitchen area also was tired and unclean. There was no soap or toilet roll. Not exactly what you need after travelling on an overnight train for 12 hours - luckily we had our own.
Breakfast was ok, though not much fruit.
Noisy, but that's what you get in a city I guess.

Too expensive for what is basically a budget backpacker place to stay. Ok for one night, but I'm very glad we didn't stay there any longer. But one of the only homestays you can find online in Bangalore.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HelenSmeaton
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I really liked this place in the middle of Bangalore and would definitely stay here again. Also I loved chatting with the owners Jay and Sumathi who were really friendly, helpful and interesting hosts.

Pros:
Good location, you can walk to the centre of Bangalore, and it's also near a metro station.
Clean and tidy, with clean sheets and pillowcases.
Very friendly and helpful owners.
Good strong wifi connection, when I stayed you had to pay extra but I think the owner was planning to make it included in the price, so ask.
Wonderful, tasty Indian breakfast every day included in the price plus tea and coffee. One of the best things about this homestay!
Small kitchen you can use, and fridge to put cold drinks in.
Filtered water where you can fill up your water bottle for free.
Laundry service for a few rupees extra.
Nice communal living/dining area where you can meet other guests or chill out and watch TV.
Feels like a real homestay.

Cons:
A bit more expensive compared to other homestays I have stayed in in India, but maybe that's because it's Bangalore. Also you do get breakfast included in the price and there's wifi!
The rooms could maybe do with being painted again, and also new shower heads.

Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank DigitalisPurpurea
Jaipur, India
Reviewed 12 March 2012

The couple who own and run the guest were away, so we were looked after by the daughter. She was very helpful and pleasant, without being overly so. The guest rooms were upstairs. There was nobody to carry our four suitcases upstairs, so I had to do it. This didn't bother me, but then again, I'm used to heavy lifting. The rooms were neat and tidy, although a little shabby - nothing a fresh coat of paint wouldn't fix. The sheets and pillow cases were an off-white to light brown colour - plain white would have been nice. The bathroom was functional, and included a shower. The shower head was old with some of the holes blocked. Consequently, water tended to be a little irregular in direction! There was a kitchen attached to the guest rooms. We chose to combine Indian take-away with food we had cooked our selves. We did ask if we could have dinner at the guest house but were told this was not available. Unfortunately, we left too early in the morning to have breakfast so cannot comment on its quality. I would be prepared to stay here again if the owners were in residence. My family and I are fairly easy going and value friendliness and good hospitality over up-market decor.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank OzShanti
New York City
Reviewed 8 February 2011

The Sumanjay homestay was a cozy, congenial, and friendly place to stay in Bangalore. The couple who run it are among the nicest people I met while traveling. The breakfast is second to none....and serves as a wonderful introduction to Southern Indian cuisine (dhosas, idlly...etc.). Jay and Sumathi are highly supportive of their guests, and will go out of their way to help with anything you need.

Highly, highly, highly recommended!!!!!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business