“NICE PROPERTY BUT A BIT ON HIGHER SIDE”

Olde Bangalore Hotel & Resort
Sydney, Australia
“NICE PROPERTY BUT A BIT ON HIGHER SIDE”
Reviewed 2 January 2013

I completely agree with previous review by Mr. Asheesh. The property is superb with nice maintenance which is definitely appreciable. The sports facility is very good. The swimming pool is very tempting and they have nice tents. The staff is very courteous and cooperative. The front desk manager arranged an airport drop for us at the last moment as our booked cab didnt turned up else we would have missed our flight. The only drawback is that they are a little too expensive than other hotels but we would love to visit it again.

Room Tip: Choose a deluxe room
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank singhjyot

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 1 January 2013

Well, this is really a good resort to go and have a weekend break from Bangalore. I went here with my wife and 4 year old son. During our 2 day stay from Dec 30 to Jan 1st, we were one of the very few families staying here ! Infact on 1st Jan, out of 29 cottage tents, I think we were the only guests on the resort !

I think the main reason is the rate. Its on the higher side. They charge close to Rs 9000 per night with breakfast included. In this amount, most resorts around Bangalore would offer you AP plan with all meals inclusive. I would rate this resort 5 stars if they start including all meals in this package rate. Since they do not offer meals in package rate, buffet is rarely served - only when there are some external corporate or group parties taking place. Guests are offered the same buffet at Rs 650 + taxes which is again on very higher side. ( For example Goldfinch resort nearby offers the same buffet spread at Rs 399/= + tax ) Having said this, we ordered al-acarte and the food quality was very very good. In fact that is the biggest plus of this resort.
They also offered us 20% discount on the food which was good.

On the facilities side the resort has everything and is very well maintained. I think that is the reason it is priced on higher side. However, it does not still give you the feel of a 5 start resort property ( like Golden Palms which charges similar rates! ).

The cottage luxury tents are very well appointed. On the downside, there is no room service. I think they should allow room service if there is no buffet food. That will add to a big plus in the resort experience. Things like food causing rodents and other issues in tents can be taken care off by housekeeping and should not be an excuse to not serve food in the tents. I hope the management takes this point as a feedback and improve on this.

I will definitely visit this place again with my family.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank AsheeshJoshi
Noida, India
Reviewed 17 December 2012

A brilliant place for those who would like to to live outdoors but cant do it. The tented accommodation as described by Ciccibella is correct, but I loved the firm beds as compared to the super soft beds given by the so called five stars that leave me with a backache, where I am reduced to sleeping on the floor most of the time. The management including the directors and the G M, Sumit Mukherjee were practically at hand almost all the time that I was around.
It was nice to be woken up by the bird calls early in the morning, something I haven't heard for years in Delhi.
The entire staff is exceptional, going out of the way to make your life comfortable.
Ciccibella's comments on the food need no comments as it was exceptional with a different menu plan everyday.
Their Chef and the Kitchen staff is brilliant for caring and service, and even Sumit remembered what I ate for lunch two days back without physically being there.
Was easy to handle the Brats 26 and 23 yr old, sent them for paint ball shooting/ archery competition/ air rifle shooting and learning with the current Karnataka champion.
The Bar men, Ranjith and Kannan actually knew how to make cocktails for my Bitter half without having to refer to their I pads/computers and had the ingredients ready at hand, not an easy job since even I don't know what she is going to order me to serve her next.
Amazingly, this place has games facility, as a part of the resort, including Badminton, Table Tennis, Billiards and pool, not forgetting the swimming pool( it may not meet the Olympic standard but perfect to teach you child in).
A place run with military precision where hospitality is concerned( it means if they say lunch will be served at 1330 Indian Standard Time as per your requirements, it will be and you can set your watches as per that). No wonder, since the Director and Sumit are Ex Air Force.
Ciccibella's statement on the music is correct, but I have to remind all that we were also 18-25 yrs once, hence 11 PM/2300 is a good time to shut down the music that was followed during my stay.
While the spa rooms are there. the masseur/masseuse are not there, but I really don't feel there is a requirement for 99 % of the people, since you are not climbing the Kanchenjunga ( which I have done). However if required I am sure the resort can organise one if you require it and give enough notice.

By the way, I am given to understand that the director is a Management Guru, besides being a very experienced Pilot from the Air Force and now in the Jet Airways ( That is why).

Go out here as a alone or as group and enjoy it all, is all I can say. The opportunity comes once in a lifetime for the cost, take it.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank kamalkantdwivedi
San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed 15 December 2012

Like MJ's previous review we chose this place near the airport so we wouldn't have to go a long way in to town then return to airport in traffic for a morning flight onward. Olde Bangalore has it's charms and drawbacks. The tents are very cute with paisley decorations on the fabric; well appointed room with tea service, tv, minibar and lockable closets for your valuables. Bed was VERY hard, but was ok for us. Bathroom was spotless and everything worked properly, especially considering that it is a tent! Having been to Africa many times on safaris, the tent concept was attractive and sounded like fun.

Unfortunately for us, wanting to get a good night's sleep was not the first priority for the management who was catering to a large business function. We were lucky that the loud, throbbing music finally ended at 11pm, after we called reception to complain. All of the energy in the kitchen was focused on the big group.

The next morning we were awakened to birds and planes. Then the power went off, and the sounds were replaced by a noisy generator rattling outside the tent. Good thing we were leaving for the airport....

We were told that our rate was for only one person, that we would have to pay extra for my husband, even though they had put us in a room with a large double bed. Rather bizarre, but they waived the fee when we were checking out the next morning after complaining about the noise the night before. We also had trouble with the wifi which we felt was outrageously priced, especially considering how wired Bangalore is.

Food was excellent and plentiful, and service were very genuine and kind. The pool was gorgeous and grounds were lovely, tranquil and well kept. For all these reasons I would recommend Olde Bangalore for a quick overnight stay not far from the airport. For westerners it is reasonably priced, accessible and authentic.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the night time activities if there is a function going on. (GOOD LUCK!!!)
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ciccibella
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 9 December 2012 via mobile

Wow, this place is an oasis from the behemoth of Bangalore. The concept and tent rooms are amazing. It brought me back to my Girl Scout camping days. We chose the place just because it's near the airport. Wanted a good night's sleep before our morning flight. Did not get it. For some reason management put us in the tent nearest a noisy wedding reception that was supposed to wrap up at 11 but lingered until the wee hours. We booked quite far in advance, they should have put wedding party people closer to the fun. Then they tried to charge us for an extra bed because our nine year old was with us. But we didn't have an extra bed. We were trying to be nice and not complain about the noise, but I decided to complain and they waived the "bed" fee.

Still, I love this place. I'd love to come back with my husband's family that live in the city (checking ahead for parties near the tents) It's way too pricey for many average Indians and they charge heavily for kids stays g with parents though so it may not work out. Maybe be more financially family friendly? Resort grounds are great for family. So cool and unexpected. Bravo!

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank Maguerite J
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 24 November 2012

Hey we got this hotel by Trip advisor( thx to trip advisor ), Nice and neat spacious property but we were on transit stay..Basically Rooms are not rooms,they are basically TENTS...were can plan your weekend fun,Honeymoon etc...guys not for a transit.

Room Tip: Room(Tent ) with pool view is nice
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank anjali_sanath
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Reviewed 22 October 2012

The staff were extremely helpful and friendly.The place is very nice,well maintained and best suited for meetings or any conferences. Food was very nice.They have onsite bakery. nice muffins. The place has good sports facility .

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends