“Poorly managed”

Ranked #36 of 553 Bengaluru B&B and Inns
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Poorly managed”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We stayed at Purple Lotus before and clearly it is now suffering from poor management whilst price remains comparatively high.. 1. Staff did not greet on arrival 2. All deserts on room service menu (2 pages worth) not available; one roll came with just filling and no wrap - I said I was not happy to pay for that - so they came and took the rest of the food away! 3. Single bed mattresses are un-sleepable - the mattress is such poor quality it slips of its base 4. I asked the 'manager' to change the dirty old chair and the mattresses but nothing was done and he did not respond to me until I went to find him 5. Returned after a day out and found room uncleaned - then to be told it was my fault because I had not requested the room to be cleaned. I was told the overall manager was not available and rarely visits. The day manager is just not experienced or capable of running what was once a nice hotel 6. The furniture and fittings have become chipped, stained and shabby. 7. The exact same limited breakfast was served by staff without basic English each day. Such a shame because was nice and is in good location

Room Tip: Chose another hotel within same price range and you will get better service for sure
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
krupashivarthy, Owner at Purple Lotus, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Hi there, I am the Managing Director and part owner of the Purple Lotus. First of all, I would like to send my sincerest apologies for your negative experience at our property. Each of the items you describe in your review are completely unacceptable and there are simply no excuses for your experience. I assure you this is an exception. I will certainly be sitting down with my staff and try and figure out who was on duty during your stay.

The Purple Lotus was built on the very land where myself and my family grew up. My sisters and I developed the property with the goal of replicating the same welcoming atmosphere that we had at our house for so many years. We have clearly failed in this instance and let you down. If you feel obliged, I would greatly appreciate you reaching out to me directly at my email address below or on our website and I will attempt to rectify the situation, get more details from you, and try make sure this never happens again going forward for any other guests.

Again, my apologies,

krupa@purplelotus.in

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Thai first
Berlin, Deutschland
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We stayed for four days and had a wonderful time. The hotel is located in a nice area with many restaurants, shops, etc. The building is most beautiful, the staff is friendly and helpful, and the rooms are spacious, cosy and furnished in very good taste. We enjoyed every minute and would return to this place any time. If you are looking for a quiet accommodation in this busy city - you will not be mistaken here.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Hi Sandra -- Thank you for visiting us, all the way from Germany! I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Cambodia
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Pros--Great location, walking distance from UB city. Huge rooms, comfy bed, clean linen, polite staff, good wifi speed.
Cons --- Spartan breakfast spread, inexperienced staff, no complimentary bottled water which I found very stingy, the cost cutting is very obvious-- the electricity in my room had to be turned on by the staff every time I got back, apparently they turn off the room power from the mains every time the guest leaves the room, I had to wait 5 minutes for the staff to turn my room power back on. The wifi was also turned off and they had to switch it on from the outside when I wanted to use it. No harm cost cutting--wish they didn't make it seem so obvious.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review us. As a family owned boutique, we take all reviews very seriously. I will certainly address the power issue with the front desk staff. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reston, Virginia
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Not going to ramble on. But very disappointed with reception service. No car to greet us. No second room ready. No car ready (in time) for early morning departure drop off....thus our teens missed thier flight....we lost all that $ plus had to rebook new flights.

You can argue.....but these were the facts.

Our first visit to Purple Lotus was exceptional. Our second, beyond disappointing.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank PENNYTHEBEAST
Hi Penny,

I do remember reading your initial review. Please accept my sincerest apologies for your negative experience at our property. As a family owned boutique hotel we do try and make all guests feel welcome and try to ensure all facets of your stay are exceptional. We have clearly let you down and again, I send my apologies. There is nothing more stressful then sending your children to the airport, especially when traveling abroad. I can understand your frustration. We had a major turnover in our staff this past summer and have been trying tirelessly to find a reliable car service. If you feel alright with it, I would appreciate if you could reach out to me directly (email below) so I can attempt to rectify this for you.

Kampong Bahru Nilai, Negeri Sembilan, Malaysia
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Nice,clean and spacious rooms. The location is excellent. Even though it is in the heart of the city it is away from all the hustle&bustle. The breakfast area is really pretty with the waterfall and the small pond. The only drawback is the extremely expensive room service menu.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Hi Varun -- thank you for staying with us all the way from Malaysia. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with others. We do hope to see you again in the future.

Managing Director/Owner
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Very few hotels are the same as what you see online, this is one of them.
Rooms :Very spacious and comfortable beds.
Wifi : Free
Service : Good
Bathroom : clean and odourless
Towels : needs fresh towels
Reception/front office : VERY HELPFUL , sply Melvill.
Location : located very centrally and is walking distance to UB city.

The room is also equipped with a Microwave, extra plates and clean cutlery in case u feel like a mid night snack :)

I would definitely recommend this hotel to my friends and family.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Raj-inLagos
krupashivarthy, Owner at Purple Lotus, responded to this review, 4 August 2013
Raj,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review on our hotel and for the kind words. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, all the way from Nigeria! Please do consider us for your next visit to Bangalore.

Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I have stayed in Purple Lotus twice in past and would again stay there during my next visit to Bangalore. I like every thing about this hotel. Great location with walking distance to Vittal Mallaya Road, MG Road and Brigade road. Size of the rooms are spacious, well maintained and clean. Only complaint is that rooms smell of moisture when one enters it initially. The breakfast spread and taste is good. The restaurant is at the front of the indoor lotus pond and is enjoyable. Staff is cordial and helpful. I have recommended and would continue to recommend this hotel for good stay in Bangalore. The access road to hotel at night is dark.

Room Tip: Take a room with a view of UB City
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Teshe
krupashivarthy, Owner at Purple Lotus, responded to this review, 4 August 2013
Teshe,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and for returning to stay with us again. I am sorry to hear about the moisture smell you mentioned, but will certainly look into it. Look forward to your next visit to Bangalore and the Purple Lotus.

Owner/Managing Director