“Not as expected, but still nice”

Sterlings Mac Hotel
Ranked #89 of 676 Hotels in Bengaluru
Reviewed 13 November 2013

First with the positive:
Property looks nice with decorative entrance of horses and lion carved columns. Check in was very quick and 2 staff in front was very polite and professional.
Rooms are nicely styled. Big bed. Big window. Very efficient A/C.
Nice bathroom (bit small for a deluxe room though). Good shower!
Nice layout of the restaurants in the centre of the hotel.
Good variety of food available.
In room dining very quick!.

Negative:
For a "5star", the wireless connectivity is surely a bummer in the rooms. In the restaurants it's extremely fast and effective. In the room it kept on disconnecting and the signal was so weak!
Called reception and the sent IT within 5 min. He checked my laptop and did a speed test and the result ended up as: 0.60mbps!!! Unacceptable for a business hotel. I told him to bring me a cable to plug in directly to the socket. This helped a bit by eliminating the constant loss of connectivity. Speed remained the same though. :((
TV channels was "hanging" and after numerous calls to the call centre and IT it was useless. The tv will come on and for 5 min you can watch a program and 3 min later..... "Stream not available" !! It's irritating.
Bathroom washbasin can surely be cleaned with something. Looks like the sink was mended by a very bad installer and the grooves in the sink is very dirty. As far as I'm aware that in today's hotels, especially 4-5 stars, it is not allowed to have basins with corners! Health risks.

This hotel can be very nice with some touch ups.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
AryaSriniRao, General Manager at Sterlings Mac Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay at The Matthan Hotel, Bangalore!

We are immensely pleased to learn that you are impressed with our interiors which is designed to perfection.

Please do accept our sincere apologies for not having met your expectations and the inconvenience caused to you. The feedback has been shared with the team members and it is to assure you that we will take all necessary measures to improvise on the areas of concern as highlighted by you.

I really thank you for bringing this to our notice and welcome your feedback in this regards as it helps us in enhancing our service levels and exceeding the guests expectations. I would sincerely urge you not to judge us solely based on this stay and definitely look forward to welcoming you back at The Matthan Hotel, Bangalore!

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Along with my friend family visited the Arabian restaurant for a Friday dinner. Staff gave us a very warm and courteous welcoming. The restaurant has a royal and elegant setup with a soothing Arabian music. And most important - the food was excellent . Every dish was perfectly prepared and delicious.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Surya,

Thank you for spending your precious time to provide your valuable feedback on your experience at The Matthan Hotel, Bangalore!

We appreciate your feedback on the New Restaurant "Shebestan" an authentic Arabian fine dining restaurant that has just opened. The one-of-its kind specialty restaurant is dedicated solely to the exotic cuisine. The menu has been crafted keeping in mind the traditional cooking styles across 24 nations and provinces in the Middle East. The restaurant's decor reflects Arabic culture and traditions in the designs, artifacts and handicrafts.

We are immensely pleased to learn that you enjoyed the Arabic cuisine served at the 'Shebestan' restaurant and also thank you for showering your accolades on our hotel staff's helpfulness, we shall surely pass this on to them.

We would love to see you back at The Matthan Hotel, Bangalore!

Reviewed 6 November 2013

I spent 4 nights at the Matthan Hotel (opposite to Leela Palace, Bangalore). Excellent Location, Awesome Ambiance, a good set of restaurants and service. Only issue was the inexperienced house keeping staff but the management rectified the issues very quickly.

1  Thank REJI0212
AryaSriniRao, General Manager at Sterlings Mac Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Dear Reji,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at The Matthan Hotel, Bangalore!

We are immensely pleased to learn that you are impressed with our interiors which is designed to perfection and also enjoyed the cuisine at "20Char" restaurant. We really appreciate this gesture and feedback. We have made a note of your feedback on the House Keeping Service and shall work with our team to find an appropriate solution to make your future stay comfortable.

We look forward to welcoming you again at The Matthan Hotel, Bangalore!

Reviewed 29 October 2013

How should I start? So I checked in to this property, looked "different", interiors were bold and low light (may be a gothic theme, I dont know!). Overall it looked interesting to stay before I went into my room. First of all, they took crazy 30 minutes to assign me a room (I was pre-booked and my wife and parents in law were waiting in the lobby during that time - it was supposed to be a corporate booking, and I was looking no more than a fool wondering about that).
Anyway, my in-laws left, I wanted to relax a little, so I decided to take a bath and horror started, the bathroom sink had few hair strands, there was no toilet paper roll, and the most terrible thing - bad bad smell, why, someone didnt flush or the cleaning person decided to leave a hint of his last presence in my room! Anyway, I washed my face and went to the bed and I found a dirty linen and few more hair strands...I was patient may be to test myself! (note: I gave up Leela which is my regular hotel, just to have a taste of this hotel since my company admin guy recommended it). Anyway I sat for sometime and I heard crazy banging all over the place as if someone was trying to break in with hammers. I called the manager, he assured he would take care of it. 15 minutes past, 1 hour past - NO ACTION. My wife complaint about headache, I called the manager again atleast to change the room, he promised to come in 5 minutes, and no sign even after 45 minutes. I finally told the lady at frontdesk about leaving this hotel immediately so if she could call a taxi! (Leela was just opposite, but I needed a taxi for my luggage). Another 45 minutes, no sign of anything. I went down, tried to talk calmly, her response - our duty manager is busy with workers, and they couldnt entertain "low priority" request on priority. I was furious, I demanded his presence and after some time she finally agreed that she would send him to my room. No luck yet, and its 30 minutes over. My wife asked my to calm down and watch some TV. And another disaster - TV doesn't work, why? Remote control had no batteries. OK, no biggie, I tried manual controls, TV was on but no channels, asked my wife to call reception - response was "may be signal was out, we could get it fixed next day as electrician was busy/not available". Anyway, after 1 hour the manager finally arrived, and I must describe him - unshaved guy, normal pants, shirt was not tucked in, and wearing bathroom slippers! wow, please dont get me wrong here, no mean intentions, I dont want to sound rude here, but this was supposed to be a "5 star" property, atleast they say so! But this was not expected. I started talking to him in English, but he couldn't utter a single word. Somehow I realised and started talking in Hindi, and here you go. "Sir, sorry. Sir, it was a mistake Sir, it wont happen again. Sir, dont go and all those things". I asked, did you call a taxi yet, his response was NO. I asked, can you give me another room which is quiet and clean, his response - "Sorry sir, we cant. If you want upgraded room, please book it and we can give it to you". He said he didnt have "power" to allot me another room, which was really really funny. Anyway, finally I picked my stuff, went down, left the hotel, refused to sign on checkout paper and asked them to follow up with my corporate team.
This was worse than my horrible dream till date, I would never ever go to this hotel!!! I hope this review can save you to make a terrible choice.

• Stayed: November 2012
5  Thank ansh001
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I was starting overnight at this place earlier this week. I chose this place as it was close to where I needed to be.
First look is impressive with a dramatically lit entrance - but the design seems a bit confused. I saw intricate motifs and pillars with South Indian motifs, but also so dragons and other south asian motifs within the same panels.
You walk in and the same kitschy (could'nt find any other word to describe it) interior greets you. An atruim with the 24 hour coffee shop at the centre - this has a glass floor with running water below in some places (reminded me of Mogambo's den in Mr India) and retro art deco upholstered chairs. The cutlery at the 24 hour coffee shop is oversized and ungainly to use
(the food though is pretty good and the staff at this place is helpful & warm)
The room was comfortable, but left me feeling slightly claustrophobic. The mattress and pillows were comfortable but two things made for disturbed sleep:
1) There was a light in the foyer that kept going on and off on its own. 2) Even after setting the temperature at 24 degrees, I woke up in the middle of the night sweating - obviously the ac was not functioning
The bathrooms are done up in white and look good. The thing about white interiors though is that they need to be spotlessly clean. Every little speck shows. The basin in my room was not clean. And the shower cubicle had the shower cap of the previous occupant drying on the line
Having flowers in the bathroom is thoughtful - but why would anyone have a sunflower - it is obvious that without sunlight it is going to droop and does not make for a pretty picture (see attachment)
The property seems to have a base line - Your Way, Right Away
And this is used liberally across the place, even in places it does not fit at all - See picture of notice where they tell you that they are not responsible for stuff not kept in the safe
Finally - Your Way, Right Away - works only of it is delivered.
I requested for a kurta to be ironed in half an hour. It took more than an hour and three follow up calls. Between this time, there probably was a change of shift & I am guessing there is no handover protocol, or it was not followed. Because two people told me that they were trying their best, but they had just come on duty and had no clue!
All in all. Lots of room for improvement.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
AryaSriniRao, General Manager at Sterlings Mac Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Dear Sachin Kamat,

Thank you for spending your precious time to provide your valuable feedback on your experience at The Matthan Hotel, Bangalore.

We are immensely pleased to learn that you are impressed with our interiors which is designed to perfection & We are delighted to note that you enjoyed the food served in the 20Char restaurant.

Please do accept our sincere apologies for not having met your expectations and the inconvenience caused. The feedback has been shared with the team members and assure that we will take all necessary measures to improvise on the areas of concern as highlighted by you. I really thank you for bringing this to our notice and welcome your feedback in this regards as your feedback helps us in enhancing our service levels and exceeding the guests expectations .

Once again thank you for your honest feedback and look forward to welcoming you back at The Matthan Hotel, Bangalore!

Reviewed 7 October 2013

This is my second year staying at the Matthan and it won't be my last. This is an excellent business or pleasure hotel. The staff demonstrates daily that the customer comes first at the Matthan. Many of the hotels in Bangalore are nice when they are first opened and then rapidly go down hill as time goes by. This is not true for the Matthan. With each year the hotel has gotten better.

The restaurant on the main floor has an excellent buffet and an expansive menu. The new restraunt soon to open will be another of their continuous improvements. The will not open it until the staff has been fully trained. Again this shows they place customer service first.

The rooms I have stayed in have all been maintained and look brand new. If you want a good nights sleep, the beds are very comfortable and rooms are quiet (even the room I had overlooking old airport road). The air conditioning keeps the room at any temperature you set, even when you leave the room. The bathroom has good water pressure and no shortage of hot water for a relaxing shower both in the morning and evenings. This cannot be said for other hotels in Bangalore where I've stayed.

If you want to be close to the high tech areas and still be able to get into Bangalore for the evenings the location is great. There are also several good places to eat within walking distance on 100ft road if you want to stay close to the hotel but want to eat outside the hotel.

If you are looking for a hotel where you are treated great, can get a good night's sleep, have a good meal for breakfast or in the evening and are looking for excellent value, the Matthan should be at the top of your list. My wife travels with me and this is her favorite hotel when we are in Bangalore.

I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND THE MATTHAN and will book there for all of my trips to Bangalore.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
AryaSriniRao, General Manager at Sterlings Mac Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Dear Steve,

Thank you very much for sharing your review. I am glad to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your recent 11 days stay at our Hotel.

Your descriptive feedback is very much appreciated. It is so encouraging to receive such compliments from you which will motivate us to be consistent with our services.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for appreciating our quality of room, breakfast spread and the facilities of the Hotel.

We much appreciate your recommendation of our hotel and looking forward to welcoming you back at The Matthan Hotel, Bangalore.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I stayed in matthan for 1st time recently for three days. The architecture is unique and refreshing. The buffet food has a excellent range for both breakfast and dinner. You have quiet classic bar. Rooms are clean, i was lucky to have corner one with excellent view of pool. But on the top is service, service and service. You have smiling faces all around ready to serve you. 10 on 10.

Room Tip: Corner, they are sunny and give you a beautiful pool view