“Unique and serene”

Ranked #13 of 658 Hotels in Bengaluru
New Haven, Connecticut
“Unique and serene”
Reviewed 31 August 2014

You'll feel like you've stepped back in time when you visit the Taj West End. The original building still stands and all the architecture is colonial-era. This is not a traditional, high-rise hotel; the rooms enter/exit from the outside and the campus is so vast that it's necessary to get yourself and your luggage to your room via buggy (aka a golf cart), but just a few minutes' walk to the lobby using the back path around the outdoor pool and spa. My room was huge, and had a small outdoor patio that I took advantage of until the mosquitoes took over. The restaurants are lovely and delicious; I mostly ate at Mynt, in the lobby, but tried the Masala Klub the final night I was there and my server was great about helping me choose a not-too-spicy Indian dish. A bit humid, but I took nearly all of my meals outside; though the streets just outside the hotel are busy and dusty, you'd never know it sitting in the hotel or your room. A solid half hour to the airport, and on the way out of Bangalore, I was met at the airport by a staff member, who helped me navigate the check in system (not needed, but certainly appreciated, especially when my luggage tipped the scales and he found a way to sweet talk his way into me not having to pay extra). Would happily stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
TheTaj W, General Manager at The Taj West End, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank You very much for choosing to stay at The Taj West End, Bangalore and taking time to share your experiences on Trip Advisor.

We are indeed privileged to be of service to you. We are extremely delighted to note that you found our services excellent. This is a source of encouragement to us to enable us to consistently excel.

Voted among the top 25 luxury Hotels in India -Trip Advisor 2012
Voted the number 1 Business Hotel in India - Conde Nast Traveller UK Readers Awards 2010
Voted Amongst Top 10 Best Luxury Hotels in India - Trip Advisor's Travel Choice Awards 2009
Ranked among the top 10 business hotels in the World - Condé Nast Traveller 2009 Reader Awards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Haslemere, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2014

It's always a huge relief to get back to the Taj, it really is one of the best hotels in the world. It's calm, friendly and relaxing. The staff are excellent and the food very good. If you need to plan an event or party they always go the extra mile. It's the only hotel I would stay in when visiting Bangalore and I'm not surprised they have so many long term guests. Superb.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

We are sincerely delighted that you found our hospitality par excellence. It is feedback from valued guests like you that motivates us to strive for excellence.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 26 August 2014

This has to be in our top 10 most memorable hotel stays.
What a spectacular property and the hotel grounds of Westend is like an oasis of tranquility.
The rooms are beautifully spaced and spread out on their extensive gardens and it's a delight to explore their well maintained lawns with bunnies and geese scurrying around them.

The people under the brilliant leadership of their very affable GM, Mr. Mukherjee, were the ones that made this hotel a sublime experience for our family.
From the people who greet you in the security, to the very professional but amiable ladies at the reception, to their very accommodating chefs and housekeeping people, everyone contributed in their own ways and made our stay there particularly special.
Some of the frontline staff performed at an excellent level and they made us feel at home and at ease with our long stay of 6 week there. A home away from home, literally!
Thank you to all of the staff, and specially those key individuals for making our stay in Bangalore so memorable.

The morning breakfast is well planned to accommodate all kind of eaters. They offer some very healthy options which was a big draw for our family. Most of the chefs in all their restaurants will go above and beyond to work with you if you have any dietary concerns.

The hotel is centrally based so the shops and other restaurants are extremely accessible.
I would highly recommend Taj Westend, and if we find ourselves that way again it will be the only hotel we would stay at.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Nupur30
TheTaj W, General Manager at The Taj West End, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Guest,

It is our privilege and honor to be of service to you. We are truly delighted to learn that you had a wonderful and memorable stay with us. It is feedback like yours that motivates us to strive consistently for excellence.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2-nights on a business trip. Service is great, as expected at a Taj property. On arrival we were given fresh wash clothes and lime water, very refreshing. The hotel is what I would call a "classic". Had that old regal feel. The rooms are very large and bathrooms are a tad small, like many older properties. And be warned that the hotel is very spread out. If you get a room in an annex you will have to take a golf cart. Our rooms were very close to the main building. Breakfast buffet was lovely, no complaints. And the Blue Ginger restaurant was very good. The only thing I noticed was that some things are getting a bit dated or worn; carpet, some of the furniture in the room, etc. Having said that, I would go back I a second.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank SteeleB09
TheTaj W, General Manager at The Taj West End, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Guest,

We sincerely regret the inconvenience caused to you during your stay with us. I have taken up the matter with the concerned team and sincerely hope you will give us another opportunity to showcase our hospitality. This is surely not indicative of the levels of service that our guests have come to expect from us..

Sydney
Reviewed 23 August 2014

For my final night in Bengaluru, I checked into the legendary Taj West End and entered a world of refined luxury and gracious staff at every turn. I joined a history and garden tour exploring the vast gardens, enjoyed a superb Indian meal and had breakfast under an ancient rain tree. Exceptional was that I had mentioned on arrival that I had been exploring all day. When I retired to my room, I found a note left by the Executive Housekeeper to advise that a large brass pot of soothing bath salts sprinkled with flower petals would relieve my tired feet. Before departing, I treated myself to High Tea on the lawn opting for the Indian tiered selection of savoury and sweet treats served with aromatic Masala Tea.

Had I stayed here for the duration of my visit to Bengaluru, I may not have ventured beyond its gates. One of the guests finding it so agreeable has called her suite home for 36 years.

Started as an English-run boarding house in 1887, the luxurious Taj West End is set in a splendid 22 acre garden that justifiably has won many horticultural awards. The rooms are spacious and exquisite. This hotel excels in every way.

Room Tip: Rooms vary in decor so consider what suits you best.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank GoannaSydney

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Overall a very nice property. The girl at the reception at check in was a bit frosty and after a long drive from Chennai - did not appreciate it. From that point on the service was exemplary. The restaurants were marvellous. Very beautifully maintained grounds. A bit of paradise in the midst of chaotic Bangalore. Well shielded from the surrounding mayhem. House keeping was responsive to our needs. The rooms are not entirely sound proof and you could hear the thud from the bar late in to the night.

Room Tip: There are a variety of rooms spread around the large property. Choose wisely,
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank IndoCanadian
TheTaj W, General Manager at The Taj West End, responded to this review, 18 August 2014

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Probably the oldest hotel in Bangalore that I believe started out as a guest house just after WW2. I got an upgrade to a room that was so huge I could easily jog around it. Nice attention to detail, intelligent people, great service and quite simply a great place to stay in one of my favourite cities when enjoying the Indian Adventure. Also has that colonial feel which is not the thing you're supposed to say these days, but history is history.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Glen M
Dear Guest,

It is our privilege and honor to be of service to you. We are truly delighted to learn that you had a wonderful stay with us. It is feedback like yours that motivates us to strive consistently for excellence.