“Old World Charm , an eden in the city of Bangalore”

The Leela Palace Bengaluru
Ranked #11 of 668 Hotels in Bengaluru
singapore
“Old World Charm , an eden in the city of Bangalore”
Reviewed 23 August 2009

Its a beautiful hotel , its age can be seen in certain parts ot the hotel like the balcony , but general the rooms are comfortable and clean. The old world oppulence and charm can be felt throughout the hotel . Its quite a special hotel and gives one the special feeling. Would recommend for leisure and business. The fusion resturant is good but quite pricey . The buffet spread is also good.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank treetop193
Andrewblr, General Manager at The Leela Palace Bengaluru, responded to this review, 27 August 2009
Dear Guest,

We sincerely thank you for your valuable feedback. We appreciate hearing from our guests, as it is only through feedback and suggestions like this, that we can enhance our services to meet the expectations of our esteemed guests.

Thank you appreciating the hotels charm and opulence. We make sure that every part of the hotel is clean and comfortable for the guest. Our garden is the best in Bangalore and has won many awards in horticulture.

Looking forward to welcome you back at The Leela Palace Kempinski Bangalore and provide you with the same experience you have come to expect from us.

Andrew Hendrian

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Arabic first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2009

Just returned from a 6 night stay at The Leela which, as always, was excellent (this was my fourth stay). The facilities and staff are superb - the concierge service and drivers in particular were courteous and efficient. The hotel itself is an oasis of calm in the midst of the hustle and chaos of Bangalore.

The hotel is now better value with much lower rates - some of the staff informed me that occupancy is down since flights moved to the new airport, so maybe there is now pressure to lower costs to fill the rooms. Despite this, there are still some areas which are poor value. In a hotel of this calibre and price, it's always disappointing to have to pay a hefty charge for internet access - even more so in the IT capital of India. The other idea would be to emulate some of the best hotels in Dubai which charge in 24 hour blocks for people catching the international flights leaving in the overnight period - at the moment it's necessary to book two half-used days to ensure that a room is available.

The gym is superbly equipped and well run, but on my visit the temperature was far too hot and there were no fans available.

Regardless of this, this hotel remains a firm favourite. It's also reassuring to see extra security in place, no doubt as a consequence of the attacks in Mumbai. There are now airport-style scanners at the main entrance, as well as the usual vehicle checks.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank FrogeeLHR
Andrewblr, General Manager at The Leela Palace Bengaluru, responded to this review, 17 August 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to write your valuable review. We are happy to know that you had a good long stay at the hotel. We value the review of all our guests and especially loyal guests like you because we feel it’s always an opportunity for us to get motivated and also to improve ourselves.

Your comments regarding our staffs at concierge and the drivers are really appreciated and I will definitely pass these to them. We do understand the distance from the airport would be your concern but The Leela Palace Bangalore is located in the center of the city which helps the guest to commute to all location in Bangalore in a short period of time. The internet charges are towards the higher side as we have outsourced our Internet provider to be able to give our guest a better connectivity & a much better speed. The Leela Palace Bangalore has the best spa and gym in town and you can only expect us to keep our standard. We give highest priority to the security of our guests which is the best in the city compared to other hotels in city and will make sure they not only have a wonderful stay but also feel safe when they are at the hotel. Thanks a lot for appreciating our efforts in the gym and the security measures its always motivating for us.

Reviewed 8 August 2009

I attended a wedding over there & was treated with great hospitality. the service is extremely good. Every one gets special attention Its mantained really well,

• Liked — The cleanliness
  • Disliked — The colors
  • Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank jain_saa1
Andrewblr, General Manager at The Leela Palace Bengaluru, responded to this review, 11 August 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review. We are pleased to know that you experienced a good time at our hotel. At The Leela every guest is important to us and we make sure that everyone has a pleasant time at the hotel.

India
Reviewed 7 August 2009

I stayed at the most desired hotel of Bangalore - Leela, as my company had a conference there. Although I stayed for only one day/night, it was a memorable experience without any doubt.

The leela has a beautiful entrance and a grand lobby/reception area. i could not wait o see the room once I saw that.

I was not surprised to see an equally good room, with all the best facilities available, like LCD TV, Fridge etc.

Room service was top notch, and the food was 5-star quality.

Loved the stay

• Stayed April 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Andrewblr, General Manager at The Leela Palace Bengaluru, responded to this review, 8 August 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to write the review. We are indeed happy to know that you consider The Leela as the most desirable hotel in Bangalore. Our aim is to make the guest feel comfortable and give him a pleasant stay throughout even if it’s a day’s stay and I am glad you had a lovely stay.

Your comments appreciating the entrance and the lobby are truly appreciated. I am also glad that you loved the room, its facilities and the room service. I will definitely pass these comments to my team at the private dining and restaurant.

Reviewed 4 August 2009

I have been to Leela Palace for the first time to attend a Roadshow organised by Australian Higher Education. Its been quite an overwhelming experience as I have expected far less display of hospitality by an Indian Hotel.
I have been to many places in the world but I say the experience you get in Leela Palace is absolutely an unique one and a very relaxing. The service at the hotel is at the top notch with any other five star International Hotel. Food is exquisite .Conference rooms are very placating with beautiful Art and painting.
Overall I would say Leela Place is one among the best in India.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank nareshbikkina
Andrewblr, General Manager at The Leela Palace Bengaluru, responded to this review, 7 August 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review. We are pleased to know that you indeed experienced a good time at our hotel. Your comments on our service and food are truly appreciated; I will definitely pass these to my team. I am sure you had wonderful time at the show and we are glad that you liked our conference rooms and the paintings.

Reviewed 13 July 2009

I checked in on a Sunday afternoon (25-01-2009) there was not a single soul in sight at the lobby except for the front desk executives in their boring and faded uniforms. stayed at this hotel for a day as you may have allready read my review of the leela mumbai let me tell you my stay at their bangalore property was no different. The hotel is beginning to look dated and tired which is surprising considering that this hotel began operations in 2002 agreed the hotel is spacious, airy and some parts of the hotel are lush complete with high ceilings, spacious lobby, shopping arcade, restaurants etc but for some reason it still is uninspiring and insipid i mean if you wanted to look at a magnificent palace wouldn't you go see the mysore palace or better some palace in rajasthan ? and what makes this place even more bland is the so called art pieces and antique stuff which by the way is from rajasthan again how many times have we seen such stuff at some random art exhibition,a heritage sale at either safina plaza or palace grounds? infact i will tell you how i got to know about the so called art work which is part of the architecture and interiors of this hotel once i was at this annual furniture exhibition at palace grounds bangalore which happens every year so anyways at one of the stalls i remember seeing some art pieces and after interacting with the man who was in-charge of the store told me they do similar work for the leela’s which was basically coating the frames and some of the other furniture etc with material that was gold in colour to replicate some of the stuff at some palaces.

My deluxe room again looked tired and uninspiring and was perfectly complimented by boring and uninspiring furniture and accessories in the room part of which was an outdated T.V ( CRT monitors) should I also mention I had trouble with wifi I could hardly connect to the internet as the connection was intermitant . There was no hot water in the bathroom and when I mentioned this to front desk I was told that there is a problem and that hot water would be available only after 7 P.M which meant that I would have to wait for a couple of hours to have a shower and to think that this was a 5 star property was shocking. The sink in the bathtub was broken and as one of the other reviewer has said “ This was something of a trend in terms of service and responsiveness. They have a huge staff--you can't swing a cat in that place without hitting a maid or bell hop or waiter--but they're all ineffective; i.e. they listen intently to what you want and then scurry off never to be seen or heard from again, without addressing your request ”.

The Leela bangalore is a plush hotel, with lots of marble work, landscaping and servants everywhere BUT...the prices were exhorbitant, the service sub-par and the staff's inability to manage it makes for a nightmare stay did i also tell you that the hotel now is really far from the new international airport ? to be fair to the The hotel i must tell you that it does have a 2/3 storeyed galleria which comes complete with retail stores, coffee shops, a book store, a bar and a sports bar which has a bolling alley but then again if you want to go shopping you can always go to the forum mall, oasis mall, garuda mall or innumerable other malls which are near by and which house the same/better/bigger brands more importantly more brands I mean they offer more choice and they come complete with food courts, multiplexes ( PVR cinemas, INOX or FAME ), pubs/bars/lounges ( HARD ROCK CAFÉ, FUGA, F-BAR, ICE at the taj residency and THE BLUE BAR at the taj west end, DUBLIN at the ITC windsor manor or THE SUTRA at the lalit intercontinental each more delightful than the other ) and book stores ( landmark,which is the best in bangalore and crossword ) so why then would one want to spend time at the hotel’s galleria?

In terms of extravagance, I'd say the room itself ranks in the top 50 % of rooms I've stayed in but at the price I paid / night it was also comparatively more expensive the price of the most rooms I've ever had elsewhere. Way too much for the service that is at best non-existant, in my opinion. The E-survey I replied to on email has not even been acknowledged or responded to i mean why send an email if you do not wish to respond compare this to the thank you mail I received from the general manager of taj residency promptly within 24 hours after I had checked-out of the hotel not to forget the apology mail I received after my first stay for some inconvenience that I had experienced and the apology calls that I received at both the taj residency and the taj west end infact prompt apology calls are a norm at all the taj properties not just that almost always they offer to shift you to another room or fix the issue A.S.A.P however big or small.

The hotel does have a few silver linings like the quality, choice and the taste of food at the coffee shop citrus which quite frankly is one of the best in Bangalore but I am afraid the service at the coffee shop is cold, indifferent, arrogant and at times non-existant another thing that I do like about this hotel is its club floor which is perhaps the best club floor at a five star property in Bangalore and the service at the club floor is not so bad I have infact stayed in one of their club rooms once sometime in 2007.

I now stay at either the oberoi’s or at the taj which offers a choice of 3 hotels in the city ( TAJ RESIDENCY, TAJ WEST END AND THE GATEWAY HOTEL ), one spankingly new property at whitefield ( VIVANTA ) and a niche property in the outskirts ( KUTEERAM ) infact the location of the taj residency and the oberoi’s are right in the heart of the city at M.G Road which is very close to all the hot spots and some of the offices in the city not to forget the fact that both the oberoi’s and the taj come with other innumerable amenities, conveniences and services aswell.

My Final Verdict of the Leela Bangalore :-

The hotel property : The concept of an extravagant palace is dated.

The service : cold, indifferent, arrogant and at best non-existant.

P S I prefer the warmth and the ingenuity of the TAJ and the humility of the OBEROI.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
8 Thank Green_Oscar
Andrewblr, General Manager at The Leela Palace Bengaluru, responded to this review, 27 July 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to post your kind review. I understand from your review that you are very unhappy with our hotel and its services. Let me first of all apologize for all the inconvenience caused to you, I also understand from your review that you were quite happy with the spacious, airy restaurants and lobby and the royal club floor, I sincerely appreciate your comments. I have addressed the service shortfall with our Director of F&B and rest assured this will not happen on your future visits.

I would also like to tell you that we at The Leela Palace strive to deliver top customer service to all our customers and we as a team make sure that every guest of ours has a comfortable stay at the hotel. I would like to address to some of the feedback comments you had. The Leela Palace was built keeping in mind the architecture of Mysore Palace which is famous worldwide; this is to make every guest feel that he is indeed staying in Mysore palace which is not possible by anyone. The art and antique at the Leela is very exquisite and was specially commissioned for the Leela palace. It is sad to hear that you were not impressed by our room and its accessories.

We train our staffs regularly to achieve a set of brand standards; unfortunately we have not managed to meet your expectations. However, we will reinforce our training measures to raise our service levels. We have replaced majority of the CRT panels with LCD panels in our rooms. I was quite concerned to hear that you had not received feedback on your E- survey. I personally will ensure that I reply to all our guests within 24 hours.

I hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back to The Leela Palace to regain your trust.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2009

The Leela is a great place to stay, a total oasis in the city. The staff are really attentive, the restaurants are really good and the spa is fantastic!

While the room prices are superb for this class of hotel in a big city, you can really run up the bill on items like laundry, which is unreasonably expensive, especially when you know how cheap this generally is in India.

Overall thoguh I would thoroughly recommend this as a great base, for business or for pleasure.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank ph1973
Andrewblr, General Manager at The Leela Palace Bengaluru, responded to this review, 16 July 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review. We are pleased to know that you indeed experienced a good time at our hotel and enjoyed our spa. Your comments on our staffs and restaurants are truly appreciated; I will definitely pass these to my team.