“Very nice hotel, but using a hotel car was overpriced”

The Oberoi, Bengaluru
Ranked #1 of 652 Hotels in Bengaluru
India
“Very nice hotel, but using a hotel car was overpriced”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2009

My family and I spent 3 nights at the Oberoi in Bangalore. When you first enter the hotel, you are greeted by the scent of fresh flowers. Some people may find that very nice, I found that it bothered my allergies. Located a 30-40 min drive from the airport, it is in close proximity (walking distance even) to lots of shopping and restaurants.

The staff was very attentive. The check-in process involved being escorted to our room my a member of the staff. There we were offered an upgrade to a "larger, nicer room" for only 1500Rs more and it would include breakfast as well. Right when we were going to accept the upgrade, the woman checking us in revealed that since there would be 2 of us for breakfast, it would be 2000Rs more, not the 1500Rs she originally said. It seemed like a scam to us and we rejected the offer. Friends traveling with us accepted the upgrade and found the upgraded room to be only marginally larger, but with a nicer bathroom.

The Thai restaurant was excellent; the service was good and the food was outstanding. The breakfast buffet was very good, offering Indian and Western choices, and omelette station, carved ham, fresh fruit etc. French toast, pancakes, or waffles could be ordered directly from a waiter. The wait staff was wonderful to our small children who loved the attention.

We used the pool as well. It is not good for small children since the shallow end is 1.36m deep!

We arranged a hotel car to take us on a half day tour of Bangalore. It was reasonably priced (~2300Rs for a Corolla/ ~3200 for a Camry) and our driver was very good. When leaving the hotel we inquired about a hotel car taking us to the airport instead of ordering a taxi. The rate for an airport dropoff was an astounding 2200Rs, which was about the same as a half day tour!! Needless to say we ordered a taxi and paid 700Rs including tip.

The Oberoi was a very nice hotel, but we didn't like feeling like we were being scammed on the room upgrade or the airport dropoff. Aside from these two negatives, the hotel was very nice.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Bangalore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2009

I had a terrific experience at The Oberoi Bangalore. I usually choose this hotel as a business traveler for its convenience and location but this month I stayed at the hotel for 3 days although initially I was scheduled to stay at the hotel for 2 days but my experience was so good that the i did not feel like leaving the hotel premises. I must say I am a difficult person to please but i was so pampered by the hotel that I found it tough to go back home. The extra effort to ensure that my breakfast was served in-room at no extra charge was very convenient as I find it difficult to walk upto the lobby early in the morning. Given the track record of the earlier general mangers, I have a theory that those who get this hot seat at The Oberoi Bangalore are slated for greater glory in the Oberoi empire. By this standard Huvida Marshall who runs a tight ship with a gentle hand is going places. When she first took over I had strong reservations but she has pulled together a team that delights in making a guest feel very special. She has delivered a hotel that embodies the owner who leaves you with a lingering memory of an overwhelming experience.

Let me start by stating that Oberoi has excellent service. I arrived late in the evening at 9.30 P.M with an advance reservation on the phone, as I had a few business meetings. There were no problems with check in, and bharat ( I think, who checked me in on my previous stay and remembered me ) was about to escort me to my room but nilesh quickly intervened and within just a few seconds I was whisked away to my room. Nilesh is the hotel’s F & B Manager and the reason he offered to show me to my room instead of the front desk staff who usually escort the guests to their room is because when I did make the reservation on the phone I mentioned the fact that the on my previous stay the quality and taste of the food served both in-room and at the restaurants was not that good although the service was very good.

The Premier room was spacious and very well appointed. Had a huge walk in closet (who travels with that much stuff?), DVD player in the room, and a bowl of fresh mangoes on the table. Top quality room (one full bathroom, and very large - would be more than adequate for two adults), and no street noise was audible from the room, the bedroom was well insulated and hence there was no noise at all. A short while after arrival, a "floor butler" appeared and introduced himself. I couldn't think of anything I'd ask a "floor butler" to do, but felt special to have one. The grounds are very clean, very quiet and very relaxing in the heart of a busy city.

The "service" at the Oberoi is the best matched only by the Taj in india and the hotel staff made me feel like royalty as it feels odd to have the staff jump up, bow, and "how do you do sir?" every time you enter a room or walk past I sometimes felt if I indeed deserved that kinda service but I wasn’t complaining as it felt pretty damn good infact it was overwhelming. The internet charges are high and the wifi connection was intermitant perhaps the only downside of my stay but then again they made it up by not charging me for wifi.

I particularly enjoyed the Chinese and the buffet at le jardin and nilesh and his team pulled a brilliant show, and the fresh fruit and snacks left in our room each day. There was also a decent selection of DVD’s available at the front desk. The fitness center with steam room and sauna was nice allthough it would’ve been nice to have a Jacuzzi aswell.

As others have mentioned, the staff really did make an effort to know us and our preferences (such as how i like my meals (non-spicy,low-fat and less salt) prepared, my favourite type of fruit platter for breakfast, etc), and brought me a lovely fruit platter of watermelons and papaya and the idlis and the black tea served in-room not to forget the rasmalai all compliments of the chef and I enjoyed it on the comforts of my bed.

The beds, linens and pillows were luxurious and comfortable. The "king" bed was one of the most biggest and the cosiest bed ever I had slept in and because I was travelling I had this big luxurious bed all to myself and it felt like heaven every time I was on the bed.

If you stay at he Oberoi make sure to request a room away from MG Road. It will make your stay much quieter.

On my next trip to Bangalore I am enthusiastic about my stay at the Oberoi as I am sick and tired of the Leela Palace after just a couple stays. That place is huge and rather impersonal. Had some problems with the room and the shower both times.
Overall -- highly recommended,I found the property to be beautiful and the service to be excellent! It provided a relaxing oasis from the crowded city after crazy days of commuting to work and touring.

A week later I receive a mail from the management team of the hotel, which was a nice surprise and proof of the fact that the “HEROES” of this hotel truly and genuinely care about their guests although I am used to such mails from the taj. The team was just following up on the comments card I had filled up and had thanked me for my valuable comments and wanted to know if there is anything that they can do to make my future stays better which is just another example of their undying humility and sincerity with which they look after their guests.

Take a bow The Oberoi Bangalore…… BRAVO!!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
7 Thank Green_Oscar
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2009

if are Donald Trump (gold, gold, gold, gold, glitter), stay at The Leela. If wanna feel like home, stay at The Oberoi!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank LMVoyageur
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2009

We stayed at the hotel for a business visit to Bangalore. it has a great restaurant and the gym is world class. the service they provided is excellent in every sense and everybody tried to make us feel at home. If opportunity permits we will go back to the hotel again.

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — bugs outside hotel rooms
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
Mumbai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2009

Excellent property with luxourious rooms.

Nice restaurants...especially the Asian cusine

• Liked — Service
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
Mumbai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2009

Bangalore Oberoi is one of the finest and best hotels i have stayed at. The food is amazing and so is the service. The whole experience was brilliant. The staff is very accomodating and cooperative. The hotel is close to shopping areas like commercial road etc....
The swimming pool is the cleanest i have seen ever in a hotel...

Overall a very good experience.

• Liked — the quiteness in the hotel and the friendly staff
  • Disliked — nothing....
  • Stayed May 2006, travelled on business
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2009

Let me start by stating the Oberoi has excellent service. I arrived early in the morning without an advance reservation, as my prior arrangements fell through. There were no problems with early check in, and I was shown to my room within just a few minutes of arrival.

The room was spacious and very well appointed. Had a huge walk in closet (who travels with that much stuff?), DVD player in the room, and a bowl of fresh mangos on the table. Top quality room. A short while after arrival, a "floor butler" appeared and introduced himself. I couldn't think of anything I'd ask a "floor butler" to do, but felt special to have one. The grounds are very clean, very quiet and very relaxing in the heart of a busy city.

A few down-sides (minor): The "service" thing can go over the top. After a day or two, it feels odd to have the staff jump up, bow, and "how to you do" every time you enter a room or walk past. The internet charges are high and confusing. The hotel restaurant food was just "ok", but when I marked "good" instead of "excellent" on a survey card, the manager ran after me to apologize and ask for specifics. How do you say "It was ok, but I've had better" without seeming like you were hurting the guy's feelings?

Overall -- highly recommended, but ask your locals for the other great places to eat in Bangalore. There are many.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business