“Second Visit Disappointment”
Review of The Capitol

The Capitol
Ranked #109 of 695 Hotels in Bengaluru
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I visited this hotel earlier this year and was very impressed with everything. That was in the "high season". It was totally different on a second visit. Staff were lethargic and not really helpful. On the day I arrived the outside temperature was 37 degrees, but the room had the aircon turned off and the bar fridge not turned on.

The tissue container in the bathroom was empty, the spare toilet tissue placed 2 metres away from the toilet, no valance on the bed and no Room Service menu in the room. The menu in the main restaurant had been scaled right back and some of the hot food was totally cold. The breakfast was very ordinary.

I must say though, that the doorman was outstanding. I understand some on these things are minor, but having seen this hotel at its best, I was very disappointed to see it in this downgraded state. Most disappointing was the service, or more accurately, the lack thereof.

I would stay there again, but only in the "high season". I gave this hotel 5 stars last visit in January 2013, but this visit I would only give it 2 stars.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the government buildings have the better views
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Graham P
TheCapitol, General Manager at The Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2013

Dear Guest

Greetings from The Capitol Hotel.

We would like to thank you for taking your valued time for reviewing us on trip advisor.
We have noted your feedback on our services and thank you for bringing the same to our notice. I have no excuses to offer, but certainly believe that we have not been able to fulfill the promised experience on this occasion.

Your feedbacks and concerns on the hotel have been shared with the entire hotel team with special reference being the Housekeeping and the F&B team and have been briefed upon the same and all internal procedures have been strengthened and emphasized to avoid any recurrence of the same. Please do accept my sincerely apologies for the inconvenience caused during your stay.

My team and I thank you for your support and we look forward to welcome you back at The Capitol.

Reviewed 27 May 2013

Hospitality is good. Food served in buffet was not upto the mark.Room service was fast.Do not miss out on the rooftop Trivoli Garden restaurant. Good for a family stay. This place is close to city hot spots like commercial street, brigade road and MG road. With this proximity , your entire dose Of B "lore can be fulfilled. All in all, the place is better than most but worse than best.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

Greetings from The Capitol Hotel!

We thank you for choosing The Capitol as a preferred hotel during your visit in Bangalore. The team and I are grateful for your time taken to review us with the Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to note that you were pleased with the Location of our Hotel as well as the Rooftop Garden Restaurant – “Trivoli Gardens”. We have also noted your concerns and comments on the food served at the Buffet and I would like to bring to your notice that the F&B team has been briefed about this and indeed have enhanced the buffet.

We are grateful to you once again for your feedback and look forward to the delight of having more opportunities to be of service to you.

Reviewed 15 May 2013

Some of the reviews on Trip Advisor made me rather anxious when I checked out the hotel before I travelled to Bangalore for a workshop with a high profile ad agency. I fact, i couldn't help wondering why such a high profile agency had not selected a better venue. Some of the reviews talked about a property well past its prime.

I was pleasantly surprised !

Spacious, well designed interiors. Large, spacious, well furnished, and tastefully done up lobby.

The staff didn't come across as typically elegant hospitality professionals. Some were sloppily dressed, couldn't communicate too well, but were, most of them, courteous and helpful, with ready smiles.

Some of the reviews advised readers to ask for a room on the second floor. So, while checking in I asked if I could get a room on the second floor.

"We're giving you a room on the fourth floor, Sir", said the lady at the reception.

"Is that better?" I asked.

"Yes, Sir", she smiled.

The rooms in the fourth floor were Club Royale category. Spacious, generously and comfortably furnished, well lit, and clean. Bed and bathroom linen were delightfully clean.

The banquet staff were a little worrisome. They seemed in a hurry to clock off duty and leave for home when I met them in the hall to set it up for next day's workshop. Nevertheless they did a good job of setting up the hall, and barring some dirty patches on the carpet in the corner, the hall was comfortable and the workshop went well.

Room service was good, food was well made, and check out was smooth.

Overall, a surprisingly good experience well worth the spend. With a little more attention to cleanliness in the banquet area, and some professional training to the existing staff, this can be a superb place to stay in Bangalore. As it is, few other hotels can match its central location, in the heart of the city.

I would be happy to use this place again !

Room Tip: Club Royale rooms are very good.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
TheCapitol, General Manager at The Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Greetings from The Capitol Hotel!!

Thank you for giving us an opportunity to be of service to you during your visit to Bangalore City. It was a pleasure having you stay with us. The team and I sincerely appreciate you for sparing your valued time in posting your feedback on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to note that you were pleased with the location of our hotel, the rooms, food and the way your check-in and check-out procedures were handled. I have conveyed your gracious compliments on our Front office and Room service staff, who were delighted to know that their efforts were so well appreciated and recognized, indeed this would motivate all of us to strive even further to excellence.

With regard to your concerns on the professionalism of our staff, and the maintenance of the Banquet halls… we thank you for bringing this to our kind notice may I assure you that we have taken necessary steps to ensure that this will not be repeated in the near future.

We value your support & patronage and also look forward to welcome you back at The Capitol.

Reviewed 20 March 2013

i m a regular visitor to the
hotel capitol whenever i visit to bangalore.
the hotel is of its class in terms of care and comfurt.
a neet and clean hotelthe staff is ready to provide services at any odd time.
An excellent location to stay in bangalore.

Room Tip: rooms at 2nd floor are good and accurate to reach for the lobby for food.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank asbhatia55

Dear Guest,

Greetings from The Capitol Hotel!!

Thank you for giving us an opportunity to be of service to you during your visits to Bangalore. It is a pleasure having you stay with us. The team and I sincerely appreciate you for sparing your valued time in posting your feedback on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to note that you were pleased with the location of our hotel, the services provided to you by our staff, and The general upkeep of the hotel. I have conveyed your gracious compliments on our staff who were delighted to know that their efforts were so well appreciated and recognized, indeed this would motivate all of us to strive even further to excellence. It is our constant effort to ensure we meet up with the services and products that is expected from us.

Reviewed 18 March 2013

This is the second time I stayed in this hotel.I did it because of the reasonable tariff package offered to me by the hotel.Checkin process was good .staff at front desk are hospitable.Hotel is with reasonably good lobby and attached with a restaurant/coffee house.The room allotted to me is fairly big in size with an additional facility of An excellent Massage chair.Bed room and bath rooms are also reasonably maintained.But unfortunately the odour /smell emerges out of the carpets spread in the passage is a discouraging factor.Paying attention to this aspect may attract more guests.House keeping and bell services are satisfactory.There is a need for better orientation to the staff from room service .Quality of food needs to improved.I didnot have much time to exploit other available facilities in the hotel.but I understand hotel has good infrastructure with a number of event halls.With little more attention towards improvement,it has potential to be rated as very good from average.

Room Tip: Second floor
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Greetings from The Capitol Hotel!

Thank you for choosing The Capitol as preferred hotel for your stay. It was a pleasure to be of service to you. The team and I are grateful for the time you have taken to review us with the trip advisor community.

We are delighted to know that your check- in process was handled smoothly. We have noted your compliments on our front office staff and the same has been conveyed to them. We have noted your concerns on the hotels staff and the general upkeep of the hotel. May I bring to your notice that the carpets in the Corridors have been changed. And with regard your comments on the quality of the food, housekeeping and the bell desk services… we thank you for bringing this to our kind notice and may I assure you that we have taken necessary steps to strengthen the internal procedures and we ensure that this will not be repeated in the near future.

We are grateful for your support, recommendation and look forward to having many more opportunities to welcome you back at The Capitol.

Reviewed 22 February 2013 via mobile

This hotel must have seen good days in the past. However at this point, it is a dated in all respects. Rooms, upholstery, food choice, bathroom fittings, furniture, elevators - you name it and everything seems to have crossed it's "expiry date".

The service though is good. However I prefer not stay at this hotel again when on business and definitely not when on vacation with family.

If only they could adapt to current times, they can become a sought after property for their central location.

• Stayed: February 2013

Greetings from The Capitol Hotel!

With regard to your comments and concerns on the upkeep of our property, I would like to inform you that the Management is in the process of taking necessary decisions for the up gradation of the hotel.

We are delighted to know that you are pleased with the location of our hotel. We have noted your compliments on the services rendered to you by our staff, the same has been conveyed to them and they are very happy to note that their efforts were so well appreciated and recognized, indeed this would motivate all of us to strive even further to excellence.

Reviewed 13 February 2013

The USP of hotel is its location which is next to business district. Though due to Metro construction, to get entry into it, one has to do a round about. Next door is that majestic Cubbon Park of Bangalore where one can go any time of day for a soothing walk. Rooms are maintained quite well and staff is really courteous and helpful at all times. Though breakfast is good, it gets repeated everyday without much change. hotel needs to do something about it. Gym is very cramped but swimming pool is nicely maintained.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Greetings from The Capitol Hotel!

We thank you for choosing The Capitol as your preferred hotel for stay during your visit to Bangalore City. It was a pleasure to have you stay at the Hotel. Thank you for taking time to share your valued feedback on trip advisor.

We are delighted to note your compliments and positive feedback on our hotel’s rooms, location, services, staff and the amenities...Your feed back does really help us more to strive better.

With regard to your concerns on our buffet breakfast please do accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused. May I assure you that the F&B team has been briefed on the same and necessary changes have been made in order to serve you better.