“Below average”

Ranked #97 of 652 Hotels in Bengaluru
Trivandrum
“Below average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

The location of the property is excellent. The staff at the restaurant ( Trivoli ) were quite courteous. Rest of the property is below average. Rooms are not well maintained. Toilets and toiletries including showers are not properly maintained. The AC temperature regulation was not good. They were absolutely confused about airport drop. The buffet at main restaurant was pathetic for a hotel which bills so huge.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mathew J
TheCapitol, General Manager at The Capitol, responded to this review, 25 September 2013

Greetings from The Capitol Hotel.

It was a pleasure having you stay with us. We would like to thank you for taking your valued time for reviewing us on trip advisor.

We have noted your comments with concern especially regarding amenities and air-conditioning. We wish to bring to your kind notice that we are in the middle of an up gradation. With regard to your comments on the buffet served at the restaurant and the problems faced by you for the airport drop it is not as per our routine standards that we maintain and may I assure you that serious corrective measures will be taken.

My team and I look forward to welcome you back at The Capitol.

General Manager @ The Capitol Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

Excellent location, but let down by somewhat dull decor.
The room was clean, but the shower was dated in design.
A good interior designer, by adding more natural light, and by changing the carpets and curtains to a lighter colour can transform the place.
Excellent room service, and very courteous staff, both at the front desk and the outside.
The signficant quibble I had was the erratic signal quality in the free wifi.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business

Greetings from The Capitol Hotel.

We sincerely appreciate your positive observations on areas which needs to be improved, however we have changed the carpets and we are also in the process of renovating the rooms. Furthermore, the band width of the WIFI has been increased.

I’m pleased to note your Courteous comments on the hotel team. It is our constant effort to ensure we meet up with the services and products that our guests have come to expect from us.

The team and I look forward to welcome you back at The Capitol.

New Delhi, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

Well this property is value for money in terms of everything.The Rooms are well designed and artistically built.The Food served is up to the mark.reception Staff are especially very lazy and not at all helpful,including the managers and sometimes even their front office team managers won't pick up calls which very hostile and unprofessional.Housekeeping staff are the best and service staff are smooth and quick in their approach.If they don't understand us they excuse themselves and bring someone who can approach our problems.The Hotel is visibly the most impressive one

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sumukhi
TheCapitol, General Manager at The Capitol, responded to this review, 24 September 2013

Greetings from The Capitol Hotel.

It was a pleasure having you and your family stay with us. We would like to thank you for taking your valued time for reviewing us on trip advisor.

With regards to your comments on our Front office team, please do accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused. May I assure you that the concerned team has been briefed on your feedback and we hope to outdo your expectations during your future visits to our hotel.

Your compliments have been shared with the Housekeeping and the F&B team who were delighted to know that their efforts were so well recognized and indeed this would motivate all of us to strive even further to excellence.

My team and I thank you for your support and we look forward to welcome you back at The Capitol.

Chennai
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2013

The hotel's location on Raj Bhavan Road could be an advantage , but the hotel is visibly unable to cash on this advantage. The printed room tariff is stiff ; but company booking brought a decent discount for me. The smooth and quick check in allowed me to check into the allotted room which in first glimpse impressed me. It was categorised as 'deluxe suite' and contained a barricaded enclosure for a small space for visitors. But it was so unimaginatively located that it could have as well been a part of the main room in stead of being a segregated space. There was a dining table with a round glass top which was very useful. These furnitures were in addition to the standard writing table and chair. But the Major attrction was a maasage chair which enabled back and legs massage at the press of a few buttons. Then again , there were few other things not generally found in similar hotels : the coffee maker (Not cattle) and a micro wave oven. There were no raw material for using those equipments. Impressive ? Not to me. But I found overall ambience and layout quite good and enjoyed a sound sleep.There were small but numerous indicators of neglect and mediocrity . Some switch was not working. Toilet flush needed a bit of coaxing and seemed to work with reluctance. The room was comfortable but nowhere near luxurious , which one would expect if he has to pay the scheduled tariff without any discount.
There are two restaurants , one at lobby level and the other one on 5th floor. The second one is a 'garden restaurant. I walked into the lobby level reatsurant at about 8.30 PM (Sunday) and found the large eatery totally devoid of any guest. Absence of even a single customer didnot appear unusual to the staff who explained that this was quite common in weekends in Bangalore ! I have strong reservations about the veracity of this statement. The deserted cafe didnot hold my interest and so I climbed up to the garden restaurant on 5th floor. Again disappointed. Some people were there , though quite few . The place was unsuitable for the cold and windy evening . Ambience was disappointing. No one seemed to pay any attention to who came in and who went out. Ushering guests was an unknown practice here.
i decided to have food delivered in the room and used the room service option after returning from both restaurants.Quality of food was good but not really discernible from the frugal supper I had.
Next morning I sauntered towrds the swimming pool but found it deserted and unkempt. Breakfast served at the lobby level restaurant was disppointing. There was just another person apart from me. Neither the service nor the taste satisfied me. Ladles or spoons were not placed with many dishes even at 08.15 AM . Corn flakes was soggy and milk was watery. It put me off so much that I decided to try only the minimum required items .
What stands out in the hotel is the total lack of patronage for its eateries both in the morning and in the evening. May be the day I was there was different ; but one has to judge on the basis of what he sees.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which doesnot need electric lights in daytime.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
TheCapitol, General Manager at The Capitol, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from The Capitol Hotel!

It was a pleasure having you stay with us. We would like to thank you for taking your valued time for reviewing us on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to note that you were pleased with our check -in procedures and with the room. I have also conveyed your gracious comments to the team, for whom it has been a tremendous source of inspiration.

We have well noted your comments with issues regarding maintenance problems faced in your room and the inconvenience caused by our F&B team. I would like to apologize sincerely for the inconveniences caused. I have shared your valued feedback with our Maintenance and the F&B team and we have taken appropriate and corrective steps in order to make your future stays comfortable with us.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

I visited this hotel earlier this year and was very impressed with everything. That was in the "high season". It was totally different on a second visit. Staff were lethargic and not really helpful. On the day I arrived the outside temperature was 37 degrees, but the room had the aircon turned off and the bar fridge not turned on.

The tissue container in the bathroom was empty, the spare toilet tissue placed 2 metres away from the toilet, no valance on the bed and no Room Service menu in the room. The menu in the main restaurant had been scaled right back and some of the hot food was totally cold. The breakfast was very ordinary.

I must say though, that the doorman was outstanding. I understand some on these things are minor, but having seen this hotel at its best, I was very disappointed to see it in this downgraded state. Most disappointing was the service, or more accurately, the lack thereof.

I would stay there again, but only in the "high season". I gave this hotel 5 stars last visit in January 2013, but this visit I would only give it 2 stars.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the government buildings have the better views
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Graham P
TheCapitol, General Manager at The Capitol, responded to this review, 28 September 2013

Greetings from The Capitol Hotel.

We have noted your feedback on our services and thank you for bringing the same to our notice. I have no excuses to offer, but certainly believe that we have not been able to fulfill the promised experience on this occasion.

Your feedbacks and concerns on the hotel have been shared with the entire hotel team with special reference being the Housekeeping and the F&B team and have been briefed upon the same and all internal procedures have been strengthened and emphasized to avoid any recurrence of the same. Please do accept my sincerely apologies for the inconvenience caused during your stay.

Hyderabad
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

Hospitality is good. Food served in buffet was not upto the mark.Room service was fast.Do not miss out on the rooftop Trivoli Garden restaurant. Good for a family stay. This place is close to city hot spots like commercial street, brigade road and MG road. With this proximity , your entire dose Of B "lore can be fulfilled. All in all, the place is better than most but worse than best.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

Dear Guest,

Greetings from The Capitol Hotel!

We thank you for choosing The Capitol as a preferred hotel during your visit in Bangalore. The team and I are grateful for your time taken to review us with the Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to note that you were pleased with the Location of our Hotel as well as the Rooftop Garden Restaurant – “Trivoli Gardens”. We have also noted your concerns and comments on the food served at the Buffet and I would like to bring to your notice that the F&B team has been briefed about this and indeed have enhanced the buffet.

We are grateful to you once again for your feedback and look forward to the delight of having more opportunities to be of service to you.

Chennai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2013

Some of the reviews on Trip Advisor made me rather anxious when I checked out the hotel before I travelled to Bangalore for a workshop with a high profile ad agency. I fact, i couldn't help wondering why such a high profile agency had not selected a better venue. Some of the reviews talked about a property well past its prime.

I was pleasantly surprised !

Spacious, well designed interiors. Large, spacious, well furnished, and tastefully done up lobby.

The staff didn't come across as typically elegant hospitality professionals. Some were sloppily dressed, couldn't communicate too well, but were, most of them, courteous and helpful, with ready smiles.

Some of the reviews advised readers to ask for a room on the second floor. So, while checking in I asked if I could get a room on the second floor.

"We're giving you a room on the fourth floor, Sir", said the lady at the reception.

"Is that better?" I asked.

"Yes, Sir", she smiled.

The rooms in the fourth floor were Club Royale category. Spacious, generously and comfortably furnished, well lit, and clean. Bed and bathroom linen were delightfully clean.

The banquet staff were a little worrisome. They seemed in a hurry to clock off duty and leave for home when I met them in the hall to set it up for next day's workshop. Nevertheless they did a good job of setting up the hall, and barring some dirty patches on the carpet in the corner, the hall was comfortable and the workshop went well.

Room service was good, food was well made, and check out was smooth.

Overall, a surprisingly good experience well worth the spend. With a little more attention to cleanliness in the banquet area, and some professional training to the existing staff, this can be a superb place to stay in Bangalore. As it is, few other hotels can match its central location, in the heart of the city.

I would be happy to use this place again !

Room Tip: Club Royale rooms are very good.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
TheCapitol, General Manager at The Capitol, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Greetings from The Capitol Hotel!!

Thank you for giving us an opportunity to be of service to you during your visit to Bangalore City. It was a pleasure having you stay with us. The team and I sincerely appreciate you for sparing your valued time in posting your feedback on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to note that you were pleased with the location of our hotel, the rooms, food and the way your check-in and check-out procedures were handled. I have conveyed your gracious compliments on our Front office and Room service staff, who were delighted to know that their efforts were so well appreciated and recognized, indeed this would motivate all of us to strive even further to excellence.

With regard to your concerns on the professionalism of our staff, and the maintenance of the Banquet halls… we thank you for bringing this to our kind notice may I assure you that we have taken necessary steps to ensure that this will not be repeated in the near future.
It is our constant effort to ensure we meet up with the services and products that is expected from us.

We value your support & patronage and also look forward to welcome you back at The Capitol.