“Whitefield's latest scores on highly on F&B”

Bengaluru Marriott Hotel Whitefield
Ranked #5 of 681 Hotels in Bengaluru
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Well, Whitefield is adding hotels at a rapid rate. The Marriott Whitefield is the latest addition to this eastern IT suburb for India’s best known IT city. Also, well, Whitefield is actually quite a distance from central Bangalore, so someone choosing this hotel should have work in this area. Whitefield is quite a way from the airport as well, and has been underserved all these years, but is catching up now with top end brands. Marriott brings its international format to the area.

The rooms are typical Marriott – fairly spacious, well lit naturally, comfortably furnished. The double bed is okay, the colour scheme is cream, with a beige white carpet. Room aesthetics are minimal – there is just a framed pattern. All the usual amenities are fine – shelves, tv, phones, charging points, alarm clocks etc. The desk is modernist oval glass thing, and somehow I think a square shaped one is better to work on. The washroom is fine – has a shower and a bath, satisfactory but not great. The shower needs another ceiling light – one corner is dark. Toiletries disappointing. As is the woodwork in the room. The Wifi is satisfactory.

The lobby is airy and welcoming. Check in speed – okay. It’s a new hotel, so not all parts are complete/ open. There is going to be a pool. There isn’t much of a garden, but there is a drive, not easily seen in new hotels. The hotel is also in the same building as Inorbit Mall, and has entry points from within the hotel. The hotel has ample conference and business facilities on offer. The staff are quite enthusiastic and welcoming.

For me, the best part of the hotel was M Café. Spacious, this all day diner, a Marriott standard, is very good. It has extensive buffet choices, right from continental to local delicacies. Take time to linger and sample different dishes. Huge dessert selection here, and also across the lobby at Whitefield Baking Company, another group standard. Looks great, as it does everywhere. The Italian restaurant, Alto Vino, looks inviting, but didn’t experience. There is an M Bar too, in a pleasant pink scheme.

There are teething issues in the beginning, as everywhere, and that will sort out to make this a standard Marriott. It is in a business location, but just that it feels too much like a business 4 star hotel, not 5!

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view. Suites definitely better.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Matthew C, General Manager at Bengaluru Marriott Hotel Whitefield, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you so much for your great review. I look forward to seeing you in the hotel again soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed 18 March 2013

I have been staying in the Whitefield area for a few years now and have been eagerly waiting for a quality hotel to open this side of town. I was very excited when I heard the Marriotts was coming up and had high hopes after experiencing different Marriotts around the world. Finally when it opened I was not disappointed because of the memorable experiences I had both the times i visited the property.

The first time I went was 02 Sundays ago for their Sunday brunch. The food on offer was exquisite, my wife especially loved the Thai curry made by chef. I instantly became a fan of the Asian skewers that were on offer on that day. One bit of advise, SAVE ROOM FOR DESSERT. Apart from the food & the service another point that contributed to my experience was the kids entertainment they had on offer. My 06 year old spent the entire time at the activity zone which included various activities to keep her occupied while I enjoyed my brunch with my wife.

The second time I visited the hotel was when Kate Bracks was there on Saturday. My wife has been following the series ever since it started and was very excited to learn Masterchef Kate Bracks will conducting a cooking class at Marriotts. We immediately signed up for the class and had a wonderful Saturday afternoon in the hotel. They had these muffins which were served during the show which were so delicious. Apart from the great food I would also like to make a mention of the always smiling and cheerful staff they have. I hope they organise many more similar events in the future.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ramesh R
Matthew C, General Manager at Bengaluru Marriott Hotel Whitefield, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2013

Dear Reviewer,

I am so glad you have enjoyed your experiences and I am so happy to read how much you enjoyed seeing Masterchef Australia Winner Kate Bracks conducting a masterclass. She is fantastic and I just informed her of your review and she was chuffed to say the least. In answer to your question we will definitely do more of this type of event and I am currently working on the next one. Please come into the hotel and fill out out our Opt In form to be added to the mailing list so we can let you know as these events come up.

Please say hello to me next time you are in the hotel as I would be delighted to meet you.

Reviewed 17 March 2013

Perhaps it is new and one can writeoff on the food and service front and assume that it will get better. But after requesting service so many times, it seems it is lack of training. Buffet spread is attractive but the taste is Ok. There is no one there to help - would be nice for someone to be there explaining. On top finding plates is not easy - they are hidden underneath - one has to bend and get it. I think the GM should do a walk thru and determine what all needs to change.

2  Thank ajay60

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you so much for your review. Unfortunately we did not live up to your or my expectations on this occasion but I promise we will do better next time. I have sent you an offline email asking for specific feedback and would love to touch base with you to see how we can go from average to excellent in your opinion. I am sure you have seen the glowing reviews of many others so you will see that this was surely an anomaly and we can repair our reputation in your eyes with another chance. Please email me on matthew.cooper@marriott.com as I would very much like to speak to you.

Reviewed 17 March 2013

2013年2月に出来たばかりとかで綺麗で、スタッフも非常に親切で処理も迅速です。日本食はありませんが、朝食には中華のお粥や麺類あり。部屋にスリッパあり。NHKは入りません。
They say this hotel opened February 2013, so hotel is very modern and clean. Staff is very kind and action is prompt. Slipper is provided in room.

Room Tip: どの部屋も眺めは変わらないと思います。I think view from room may not be different from room location.

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you so much for the very positive review!!! I look forward to hosting you again very soon.

Reviewed 14 March 2013

I have been waiting for this property to open for quite some time. I am so glad the wait is over - and it was so worth it.

I stayed within the first 3 weeks of its operation. At that point, you would think they have been open for years. The team members from the front desk to the restaurant to the room cleaners knew what they were doing and made my stay very comfortable.

I had an early morning (2am) arrival. I recommend contacting the hotel and arranging for their car if you have that option. The transfer was very smooth and even when I was checking in at 3 in the morning, the process was efficient. Not a lot of wasted time as the agents know it is late and we just want to get to bed.

The room - very nice. A tad on the spartan side (could use some art on the walls or something to give it some depth) but overall a standard Marriott room. Bed is typical Marriott with comfortable linens adding the India-typical firm mattress. Regardless, I got 5 solid nights of sleep. The WiFi was also pretty good. I was never kicked off (unlike many other India properties I have stayed in) and I was able to download a couple shows from iTunes in about an hour (which I deem as acceptable in a hotel with shared internet service).

Bathroom - Also very nice. There is a large glass window that allows you to look out into the bedroom but you can close the blinds. That being said - not a lot of counter space. The counter is long but narrow. I was able to put all my stuff there but I had to spread it out since it wasn't very deep. The shower was also adequate with good water pressure.

Gym - Heads towards one of the best hotel gyms I have experienced in the world. World-class equipment in a setting that supports a good workout. Plenty of mirrors to watch your form with space to move around and not trip over other people. Heaviest dumbbell weight was 50 lbs which is OK for a hotel. Also plenty of machines to hit all areas of your body. They definitely did not spare any expense in outfitting the gym.

Restaurant - I only had breakfast in the main cafe, but it was pretty good. They offer a standard American-style buffet with a good mix of foods from various cultures. Eggs, pancakes, etc all made to order. The coffee in the restaurant was a tad on the weak side but you can't expect much from a hotel that has to cater to so many different cultures. That being said, the coffee shop on the other side of the lobby made a GREAT latte so that more than made up for it.

All in all, I will definitely be back. I can tell this property will be very popular with all of the tech firms in the area and I can foresee a lot of sold-out nights. That being said, this is definitely one of my new "homes" when I am in India (but you never know with the new JW Marriott due to open in the next month or so).

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for the great feedback. I really appreciate you taking the time to critique your stay and I would like to advise of a few adjustments we are making due to this feedback. I have just had the Illy Espresso team come in and revisit the training for breakfast coffee service. I have also asked our Gym team to purchase some heavier weights for the gym to aid in your workout. It is your new home so we want to make sure you are comfortable. I look forward to hosting your next stay "Brilliantly"!!

Reviewed 8 March 2013

I am one of the group of IBMers who stayed at the hotel for its first few weeks of operation. While there were some very minor new building / start-up problems, overall, it was the best hotel stay of my life.

The hotel is beautiful, my room was superb, and the food was excellent. But what was best was the outstanding staff. Perhaps some of it is Indian culture, but I think the hotel has hired the best and set a high level of expectation for good service. No one on the staff was ever less than friendly and completely helpful. I have never before been treated so well.

(Let me comment that I have no status with Marriott at all - I had always stayed at a competing chain, but the Marriott's close proximity to IBM was too good to ignore.)

At the risk of missing many names (I think all deserve praise), I wanted to cite a few: (1) Housekeeping: Ashok and Balvinder have done an outstanding job of tending my room. The room was always "brand new" - and on several occasions they left nice little touches for me (flowers, or decorative animals made from fresh towels). (2) Restaurant: It was always a pleasure to be greeted by the cheery face of Needhu. The servers (usually Diljit or Santu) were very attentive to all my wants. The chefs (particularly Vivekananda, who prepared some special food for me, and also Rohan) did a fabulous job. (3) Arijit Bose and Prashant L. was amazing - they make feel like a royal guest. I'd also like to thank Navin - and there's one more young man whose name I didn't recall (looks a bit like "TinTin" in the old French story books - very cheerful, hair "sticks up" a bit in front). (4) In addition to general manager Matthew Cooper, all the managers were fabulously helpful. I'd like to thank in particular Front Office Manger Glen Dsouza for his great assistance every day, Varun Pandit from the restaurant, and many others whose names I have forgotten or never learned.

(The Front Desk was great too - unfortunately I didn't learn their names. The Security team at the front door and the gate were friendly and helpful as well.)

Once again, my congratulations on the opening - I hope and expect that the hotel will be a great success - and my thanks for to all your staff for a wonderful stay.

1  Thank rlindau

Dear Mr Lindauer,

What a simply stellar way to start the day. It really inspires my people to greatness to hear such amazing feedback from our guests. I am sure my competition will be coming after the associates you mentioned to get them to come and work for them! I cant wait for you to come back and I will ensure that Marriott is your choice not simply from a location perspective. Once again THANK YOU!

Reviewed 6 March 2013

Great hotel with a wonderful service! Food was great. Staff is doing everything to make it a fantastic stay. I found the pool only ony last day... Looks nice.
I will definitively come back on my next business visit to Bangalore

• Stayed: March 2013
Matthew C, General Manager at Bengaluru Marriott Hotel Whitefield, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write to us. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and I know our Hosts loved having you here. Please let me know when you next come back and I would love to arrange a lunch or dinner by the pool for you. It is simply amazing up there.