Shreyas Yoga Retreat
  • Room Service
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsorganic gardenvegetarian cuisinelocal orphanageayurvedic treatmentsbody and soulwellness packagemeal timescommunity servicelife changing experienceindividual attentionother guestsgenuine careeach guestthe cottagesamazing experiencepool sidebeautiful property
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Shreyas was recommended by a friend when she was changing job and wanted to get away for a re-set, so I did the same. It is wonderful in so many ways.

My flight arrived at mid-night and it was almost 3 am when I arrived at the resort, but the staff was lined up by the gate greeting me and gave me a quick tour of the cozy place. All the staff are responsible, responsive, and very kind. Every staff member, from the chef to the gardeners, all come across warm, genuine and even tempers, which makes the guests feel comfortable immediately - it might have something to do with the fact that everyone in the area practice yoga religiously as their daily ritual.

The food was all home-grown (in their garden), organic, and vegan. I was amazed by the variety of the Indian vegan food selection, and the taste was impeccable. Every meal was served in a formal dining setting, either in the tent, by the bon fire, or in the dining room. With thoughtfully designed menu and gorgeous table settings. The menu for every meal is printed out on the table, making every meal a special event. The guests gather at meal times and share their experience of the day, or in general. I met quite a few interesting people there. I would highly recommend their own recipe book called "the soul food", it was a bit pricy (by local standard) but was worth every penny, I have tried more than half of the recipe from the book, with great success.

The resort and cozy and comfortable, with a pool and garden where you can go running. However, if you get bored staying at the resort, you can also opt for a day out at Mysore or Bangalore to experience the culture and the crowd, which we found well worthwhlie.

One must try is their laundry service before you leave. The laundry was carefully folded with tissue paper and wrapped perfectly for packing. A fellow guest even gave them the whole suitcase to clean,and it came back like brand new.

All in all, I really enjoyed my stay, I still quote some of the stories I was told at the morning meditation classes.

Room Tip: I find the pool side rooms quite convenient, close to the library, dining rooms, and the steam rooms.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Eva Y
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We stayed for three days in January. First the good:

The food
Outstanding. Each meal was truly delicious, meticulously planned and painstakingly prepared. We only stayed three days but I can say with certainty that after three days of the food here and copious amounts of coconut water, my insides have never been in better working order.

Treatments and classes
Faultless. We took part in yoga, meditation and pranayama. All instructors were professional, extremely knowledgable and a pleasure to spend time with. The Ayurvedic treatments and Balinese massage were superb and amongst the best I've had (and I'm well travelled and over indulged when it comes to quality treatments).

Staff and service
Superb. All staff are warm, friendly, attentive and couldn't be more helpful. They are joyful people.

Rooms
A little disappointing. We chose a tent and this was a mistake. On arrival in our room, we were immediately shown our earplugs and told "there are trains". There really are trains and quite close by. Indian trains don't whoosh quietly by, they don't chug softly by, they roar by, sounding their horns frequently. I know there is probably a good reason for this, animals on the track etc or perhaps Indian train drivers are like Indian car drivers and just can't stop honking their horns. Either way, it's not peaceful and it is intermittent throughout the day and night. Until they put a solid roof and double glazing in these huts opt for the poolside rooms. A lovely couple we met staying in a pool room assured us that with ear plugs, herbal sleeping pills and windows firmly shut they didn't hear a thing!

The tented rooms seem to have been designed for two singles rather than doubles. The single headboards are attached to the wall with the window in between so when the room is made up as a double the beds are put together under the window and you have to try to get comfortable sitting up against it. The rooms could do with some cheering up - they are a bit drab and the bathroom was quite tired and in need of a lift. From what I can gather by retreat standards these rooms are luxurious but by hotel standards they are not so luxurious.

On the subject of noise, there is also a fun park not so far away. It does become a little tiresome listening to the instrumental version of hotel California or Gangham Style with hundreds of screaming children every afternoon. Perhaps this is only certain times of year.

I'm sure if you are not a retreat novice like us you can tune these worldly sounds out but for us it just wasn't peaceful enough. It's such a shame as Shreyas does everything else so well.

Room Tip: Try pool rooms to avoid noise
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Whatdidthefoxsay
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I had an absolutely wonderful time at Shreyas and cannot wait to go back. I stayed in a pool side cottage and found it to be absolutely perfect for my needs; well appointed, huge bed, lovely bed linen, large bathroom and loads of storage. I did a week long wellness programme and when they say programme, don't be mistaken, this is very timetable driven, so you will need a watch to keep to time! An average day looked like this: 6.00am, wake up call, 6.30am, group yoga, 8,30am breakfast, 9.30am group meditation, 10.00am private yoga, 11.00am massage, 12.30pm lunch, 2.00pm free time, 3.00pm cookery class, 4.30pm group yoga, 7.30pm dinner, 8.30pm reading and by 9.00pm I was exhausted and was fast asleep! There are many programmes to pick, or you don't have a programme and can lie by the lovely pool all day, there is flexibility here, and that's the beauty. The food was amazing; this was the first time I have ever been vegetarian for a week, and I loved it. Since I got home, I have stuck with it, and feel healthier and have more energy. The menu can be catered to the needs of each guest - when I was there, some people were on detoxes, others on gluten free, others on no dairy etc. it really is up to you. When I say menu, you have two choices, take it or leave it. You eat what is being made in the kitchen, there is no choice, but trust me, you will devour everything, the food really is wonderful (it's Relais a Chateau). Note that meal times are group affairs so everyone eats together. The retreat has its own organic vegetable garden and all the guests have the opportunity to help work in the garden, help prepare food and take lunch to the orphanage, which Shreyas supports. I did this and it was a truly humbling experience to spend time with the children. The best thing about Shreyas is the staff: I have never felt so loved by people I don't know as I did at Shreyas. The yoga teachers were amazing, the ladies in the massage huts, the dining room staff, all of them are beautiful people who go out of their way to make you at ease. Bala, the meditation instructor, is a truly remarkable spirit; he can express in a few words what you might have to read a few books to get. I loved being in his company and feeling his beautiful energy. I was a first time yoga student, and took to it very well, as the instructors are very generous with their time and support. By the end of the week, it felt like the most natural thing in the world to do 2.5 hours + of yoga every day. My 4 star rating is based on the fact that I think the spa needs a massive overhaul. While the ladies doing the treatment are very good indeed, the actual spa itself really isn't a spa as I know it, more of a hut with a massage bed. I think the retreat should consider investing in this to really bring it up to 5* luxury standard. Also, I travelled light and so didn't bring some amenities for the bathroom that I would have expected as standard in a Relais & Chateau property - ie cotton buds, cotton pads (for eye make up removal) and body lotion. I realize that these are very first world issues, but Shreyas charges 5* prices and could very nearly be a 5* experience. In summary: wonderful and I would go back in a heart beat.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank LovinEveryMinute
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Being a middle class person thought so many times to afford for this... and it proved it is worth... Over all very calm and clean place to take a break...Even though Spa was not of great quality... The overall environment is so soothy...loved the place.

Room Tip: Can choose both garden or pool side both has its own benefits.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank shreeharsha_ab8
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I stayed at Shreyas for 5 nights and was absolutely overwhelmed by the attention to detail, the warmness of the staff, the beautiful rooms, the delicious and flavoursome food, the list really is endless...
I did the yoga retreat and it was truly a life changing experience. The teachers are very knowledgeable and get to know your strengths and weaknesses almost immediately; no yoga class is the same.
The individual yoga sessions were focused on my needs and pushed and challenged me, I have never attempted 3 yoga classes a day, but at Shreyas it felt like the most natural thing.
A special mention to Rita who has to be one of the most inspiring teachers I have ever met, thanks to her, for the first time ever, I have been motivated to do my own daily practice since my return
Another mention to Dr Rachna who was kind, generous with her knowledge and a positive energy to be around.
The meditation experience was like no other, Balaji is very gifted and his 1:1 session was the most surreal experience, I have been listening to the beautiful chakra meditation CD since my return.
In summary I felt like I wasn’t meant to be anywhere else at that point in time but at Shreyas. A calm, content and moving experience and I hope to return next year.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo